Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Muted_Tummy

Menopause question

Rate this Entry
Long story short, due to reproductive problems and staving off a hysterectomy, I got the Lupron depot shot. This will basically throw me into false menopause for the duration I am on it.

For those who went through natural menopause or hysterectomy prior to surg, did you have to do anything differently in your eating plan? or same ole same ole as the rest?

Thanks. I know women tend to gain weight post menopause unless they up exercise, eat less, or build muscle.

Submit "Menopause question" to Digg Submit "Menopause question" to del.icio.us Submit "Menopause question" to StumbleUpon Submit "Menopause question" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago and haven't gained any weight. i tell everyone i burn the weight off due to the severe hott flashes, those are the worst. My doctor said they would only last a year or so, what a freak in lier they are just as bad today as they were on day one. Im miserable most of the time. Dont believe the hype
    are you on HRT?
    The worse part about menopause was the sleepless nights!
    I was given Lupron shots at 57 to push me into menopause. I was given a total of 3 shots over the course of a year. I had the last shot in September and had surgery in February the next year. Menopause had no effect on my weight loss if anything maybe it helped. I'm at my goal weight.
    Hey Muted sorry to hear about the hysterectomy.

I bought the latest edition of Cooking Light and it had a heartfelt article on Alzheimer's disease, and how a former chef has delayed the onset of the disease with eating the right foods. I actually had been reading a book called "Food as Medicine" which I bought when I was first told I was prediabetic years ago. Its an interesting read about the gut/brain and gut/metabolic disease connections, it also has a section about foods that alleviate menopause symptoms.

Also I'm pretty sure I've been perimenopausal for sometime and take Royal Maca, you can find it in powder form to add to your green juice/smoothies. Royal Maca is known for its healing properties and bringing hormonal balance.

✨Sending you the best of wishes,✨
    I had some serious hormonal issues for the past 20 years. I won't go into too much details but basically I have a mixed of PCOS, severe endometriosis and other complicated stuff..
    I take regularly softgel of evening primerose oil. It does help a lot to balance my crazy hormones.
    I was also told I should get an hysterectomy but I decided not to, the oil has been helping a lot.
    I hope it can help you too. Good luck!
    I had PCOS with my first surgery at 15, then 24 to remove part of each ovary, then a couple years ago they finally gave me my Christmas wish for a hysterectomy - not that I was begging for it, but my issues just kept getting worse and worse so this was the last solution for me. After my gyn was in over his head on my complicated surgery I went to an oncology gyn who finished up what was started. I asked about hormones and they said no - in fact he said they don't like to give any hormones anymore. That may be just for those with PCOS since it causes hormone issues. I notified my sleeve surgeon I had this and they said my diet shouldn't be changed either pre or post op due to this. I personally would look into some natural supplements if you think it will help. Hopefully your nutritionist can help you with any questions you have. My nutritionist again told me what we already know. Hi protein, low carbs. Good luck - I've enjoyed reading your blog especially the what to know down the road. I too am a little OCD when it comes to research. My motto - hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Good luck in your endeavors!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    I had some serious hormonal issues for the past 20 years. I won't go into too much details but basically I have a mixed of PCOS, severe endometriosis and other complicated stuff..
    I take regularly softgel of evening primerose oil. It does help a lot to balance my crazy hormones.
    I was also told I should get an hysterectomy but I decided not to, the oil has been helping a lot.
    I hope it can help you too. Good luck!
    I have heard about Primrose Oil...do you have info on dosage? THANKS
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh Lisa
    I had PCOS with my first surgery at 15, then 24 to remove part of each ovary, then a couple years ago they finally gave me my Christmas wish for a hysterectomy - not that I was begging for it, but my issues just kept getting worse and worse so this was the last solution for me. After my gyn was in over his head on my complicated surgery I went to an oncology gyn who finished up what was started. I asked about hormones and they said no - in fact he said they don't like to give any hormones anymore. That may be just for those with PCOS since it causes hormone issues. I notified my sleeve surgeon I had this and they said my diet shouldn't be changed either pre or post op due to this. I personally would look into some natural supplements if you think it will help. Hopefully your nutritionist can help you with any questions you have. My nutritionist again told me what we already know. Hi protein, low carbs. Good luck - I've enjoyed reading your blog especially the what to know down the road. I too am a little OCD when it comes to research. My motto - hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Good luck in your endeavors!!!
    Thanks! I find the nuts are pretty uselss unless it is the basics or you are training for a 5k, 10 k etc. *ahem* Seems most who replied didn't have to change things up so I am relieved about that. I am on HRT while on Lupron as I am only 46. I have never been dxd with PCOS but only have 1/2 an ovary left. The fibroids in uterus are every type and bad and inoperable. I am trying to stave off a hysterectomy (put body through so much with sleeve already).....this is our last attempt at shrinking fibroids and getting periods under control. Lupron frankly scares the sh*t out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Hey Muted sorry to hear about the hysterectomy.

I bought the latest edition of Cooking Light and it had a heartfelt article on Alzheimer's disease, and how a former chef has delayed the onset of the disease with eating the right foods. I actually had been reading a book called "Food as Medicine" which I bought when I was first told I was prediabetic years ago. Its an interesting read about the gut/brain and gut/metabolic disease connections, it also has a section about foods that alleviate menopause symptoms.

Also I'm pretty sure I've been perimenopausal for sometime and take Royal Maca, you can find it in powder form to add to your green juice/smoothies. Royal Maca is known for its healing properties and bringing hormonal balance.

✨Sending you the best of wishes,✨
    Thanks SHIRL!
    I have the book Food as Medicine and subscribe to many like minded folks on FB....I just didn't see ANYTHING about menopause and bariatrics. It's like a black hole. HAHAH Send anything you have my way!
    Quote Originally Posted by KariVSG
    I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago and haven't gained any weight. i tell everyone i burn the weight off due to the severe hott flashes, those are the worst. My doctor said they would only last a year or so, what a freak in lier they are just as bad today as they were on day one. Im miserable most of the time. Dont believe the hype
    hahah thanks for this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa888
    The worse part about menopause was the sleepless nights!
    I am hoping the HRT lessens the night sweats I hear will start in about another week.
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowjoy
    I was given Lupron shots at 57 to push me into menopause. I was given a total of 3 shots over the course of a year. I had the last shot in September and had surgery in February the next year. Menopause had no effect on my weight loss if anything maybe it helped. I'm at my goal weight.
    Good to know.
    Hey...did the Lupron give you any side effects outside of menopausal ones? I never get constipated and have been since the shot...painful constipation. Finally got things moving again yesterday after 5 days. The insert said a very low amount of reporting digestional issues including constipation. WOndering if it was the shot. Nothing in my food tracker is different.