Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Harley girl

hot flashes

Rate this Entry
Hot Flashes
I have started to have several (15) severe hot flashes a night where I wake up covered in sweat. I went to see my female doctor and since I am only in pre menopause he said there was not a lot they can do for me. He recommended a low dose of anti depressant called Effexor. I have tried all the natural over the counter products, they were working up until about three months ago. I read up on this drug and now I am worried about taking this and gaining weight. I have worked my butt off to get to my goal weight and can't imagine sliding backwards. Need advise and what ever help you can give. Thanks everyone

Submit "hot flashes" to Digg Submit "hot flashes" to del.icio.us Submit "hot flashes" to StumbleUpon Submit "hot flashes" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I wouldn't worry about the weight gain so much as everything else this drug does to you. I would absolutely NOT recommend taking it. I was prescribed Effexor for pain related to fibromyalgia. It worked wonderfully for alleviating that pain. But... it wrecked my sex life. The want was still there, but the ability to climax was gone. I couldn't sleep either. There were some other side effects as well, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Now here's the biggest and most worrisome part. They don't tell you this. Coming off that drug is horrifying. I didn't know what was happening to me. I cannot explain it. I felt feelings that I cannot put into words, but they were beyond awful. I wanted to die. Literally. If I'd had the energy, I most likely would have comitted suicide. This lasted for weeks without relief. I cried every moment of the day without explanation. I will never ever again take that stuff no matter the need.

Hopefully you'll be able to find something to help you.
    Katrina, thanks so much for your comments, that is exactly what I am afraid of, so worried that I am trading one problem for a bigger problem. I keep going back and forth and have made a positive and a negative list and so far the negative is pretty long. Thank you again.
    Stick it out....it all goes away in after about ten years! Lol
    Not true in all cases, my mom is 90 and still has horrible hot flashes too. I've been having them for over 10 years now. They seem to last until death.
    I have experienced this before and got this treated with oriental medicine.

Let me know if you want more info. i know how painful hot flashes can be.
    and btw don't think that theres no treatment for hot flashes. thats bull.

acupuncture and herbal medicine has worked wonders for me. i really hope you go see an acupuncturist or oriental doctor, cuz they can really help with hot flashes. trust me!
    To balance my crazy hormone I've been using capsules of evening primerose oil and omega 3/6/9 (mainly made of organic flax seed) for years. It does work very well for me, the right dosage can be tricky to find at the beginning.
    Thank you all for the suggestions I really appreciate all the help and advice that this group offers.