Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirl

5-Month Sleeversary

Rate this Entry
Trying to stay positive and looking at the bright side has taken me extra effort this month. Scale just did not want to budge the first couple of weeks, then I lost, regained during my moon, and lost again this week. So hopefully next month I will know what to expect and not beat myself over it.

I am on week 6 of my 12-week Get Fit program, I have had to miss a few workouts due to unexpected home repairs, but I made them up on my own by going to the gym and hitting the weight room. It is funny how uncomfortable I feel in the free weights area of the gym, it's like so male dominated and I feel like I am infringing on their space. I had a few smiles, so I assumed I was approved to invade. <- this is just stuff that goes through my head.

Miraculously I have not injured myself, though I have felt extremely sore at times. We went to a wedding this past weekend and our drive back was met with one traffic delay after another, it took us 4.5 hours to drive from Weatherford to Austin ugh! my right gluteus has been aching since, but getting better everyday.

I actually lost more than I thought I was going to lose for a moment. I was going to be happy with 4lbs with all the handwork I am putting in at the gym.

Weight: 186.3 lbs down 5.2 lbs.
BMI: 30.1 (down 8.6 from 39.54)
Height: 5' 6"

BUT what is being noticed even by moi is that I actually can see my body morphing into a leaner version of me! and that makes my heart smile!

I am wearing size 12 in some designs, but still large in my favorites. I like the feeling of clothes feeling loose and flowing.

I am feeling comfortable in sleeveless dresses!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 12.19.38 PM.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	510.8 KB 
ID:	26262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 12.19.59 PM.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	26263

Several women at my GET Fit program have come up to me and said how amazing I look, but in truth I can see everyone's physique improving too!

Measurements: Monday, October 17, 2016

• Neck: 12.5" down 2.8" (-1.4" this past month!)

• Bicep: 11.5" down 4.5" (-2"!)

• Chest: 41.3" down 5.8" (-2.2"! ... Under breast torso 34.75" -1")

• Waist: 34.5" down 8"!!! (-2.5") important to note that this shows in the DXA body composition scan

• Hip: 42.9" down 6.3" (-1.1")

• Thigh: 21.8" down 6.3" (-1.2")

I lost 11.4 inches overall since last month!

According to DEXa Body Composition Scan on Thursday, October 20, 2016

Starting weight for first scan was 195.5 on 9/09/2016
weight loss since is 9.4lbs! here is the breakdown:

Lean Muscle Mass: 99 (lbs) <=this went down 1lbs, but according to the segment breakdown, I had mainly muscle loss in the trunk area and I also lost several pounds of visceral fat - which explains the -2.5" measurement off my waist.

Fat Mass: 81.3 (lbs) <= 8 lbs of FAT loss!!!

Nutrition

I am eating a more balanced diet and still focus on protein. I was told muscle loss, and hair loss are inevitable and it is true. I am concerned with both, but according to the DEXa comps I am above average on the lean muscle scale for my age, gender and height. My bone density is also heavier than the average young woman and definitely above average compared to women my age and height. Hair loss has been happening for sometime, I do believe it has slowed down, but I am also making sure to not miss any of my multivitamins, I have added about two servings of fruit a day, which includes, cut up oranges, pears, figs, kiwi, blue berries. I am huge DIY home facials and hair masks. My hair feels very soft almost like child's hair, it is not as coarse as pre surgery. It feels like a good thing but it feels weird and part of me does not miss the hour blow outs to straighten my hair. Now it is like 5 minutes, a few strokes with the flat iron and done!

I started out this month at lowering my food intake to 1000 and I kept it up for several weeks, but I was feeling light headed and low energy, and not feeling good overall. I upped my calories back up to 1200 <== this includes vitamin supplements which I just started accounting for, I didn't realize but those suckers add up! == I have consistently kept my caloric intake under 1200, with a few days slightly higher, but they were due to eating out.

My average macros for the last month have stayed consistent.

Fat 33%
Carbohydrates 32%
Protein 35%

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 12.05.27 PM.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	26261

Therapy

Along with meeting with my new primary care doctor, she ordered a bunch of labs and I will have my full physical on November 3rd. I have also met with my new bariatric follow up doctor, I have also met with a therapist who was recommended by my new bari doctor.

I feel like another huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. We both agree that food has been a refuge and escape at times for me, but we are going to put my food/weight issues aside and work on developing better stress coping skills.

Moving Forward Always

Yes the weight loss has been slow for me, it has been extremely frustrating at best, but I know that I must keep doing what I am doing and eventually I will get to my health and weight goals. I will try to stress less when the scale stops, knowing I must change up my foods or add some extra exercise.

My brain and body will be constantly fighting me to get back to the set point they have known for such a long time... 27.5 years to the day, to be exact. So in a way I am now grateful that my weight loss has been slow and steady, that way my brain and body can get used to the changes I am making.

Here is to a long life, health, success and prosperity and keeping the faith!

Submit "5-Month Sleeversary" to Digg Submit "5-Month Sleeversary" to del.icio.us Submit "5-Month Sleeversary" to StumbleUpon Submit "5-Month Sleeversary" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Aw, you're amazing, Shirl! You look wonderful, but that's secondary to your sunny outlook.
    You look mahvelous!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    Aw, you're amazing, Shirl! You look wonderful, but that's secondary to your sunny outlook.
    Thank you, Pam! I'm embracing the changes my body is going through, my clothes fit so much nicer than ever before and I feel lighter in body, mind and spirit! It's an awesome feeling, but there is always a little voice trying to sabotage that and I have to fight her back every freaking day.

I posted links about intuitive and mindful eating but they haven't received a lot reception, I'm really excited about getting into them and finding out and exploring the possibilities of beating maladaptive eating behaviors.

Check them out:

Thank you again Pam! I always appreciate you support and friendship.

✨Hugs!✨
    Quote Originally Posted by WANAGL
    You look mahvelous!!!

Thank you, Cindi! I love your new profile picture you look so über happy!

I am grateful to have your support and friendship always!

✨Hugs!✨
    Looking snazzy! it's a great month for you and you should be proud! great news for the sleeveless...for me it's still no hope in that area... "folding my wings" ;-D
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Thank you, Pam! I'm embracing the changes my body is going through, my clothes fit so much nicer than ever before and I feel lighter in body, mind and spirit! It's an awesome feeling, but there is always a little voice trying to sabotage that and I have to fight her back every freaking day.

I posted links about intuitive and mindful eating but they haven't received a lot reception, I'm really excited about getting into them and finding out and exploring the possibilities of beating maladaptive eating behaviors.

Check them out:

Thank you again Pam! I always appreciate you support and friendship.

✨Hugs!✨
    I'm about to intuitively eat some fried shrimp and catfish! Haha! Only because it's a tiny hole in the wall near my daughters house and we're going over there to feed her dogs. It's a once or twice a year treat (the catfish, not the dogs...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    I'm about to intuitively eat some fried shrimp and catfish! Haha! Only because it's a tiny hole in the wall near my daughters house and we're going over there to feed her dogs. It's a once or twice a year treat (the catfish, not the dogs...)
    Oy vey!

I was at an event and got served chicken fried steak smothered in gravy, and I asked for the smoked chicken. That sucker was the size of the plate! I had a few yummi bites before I got the smoked chicken which was even better! heehee!
    Congrats on all of it! Glad to hear you are doing well and staying positive. I am at the heels of wonderland and can't wait to hit that milestone next month. I will be doing my lean mass scan in November...not as sophisticated as the one you are doing, it seems, but I have my baseline from pre op to compare.

I wish centers just did all this!!