Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Getting prepared for my surgery

Depression

Rate this Entry
I thought that losing my weight would help me to feel better, but it seems the last few weeks I am worse than ever. I have always had depression off and on but this last few weeks have been the hardest for me. I am losing weight and I have been doing really good not to eat a bunch during my states of depression but I can't focus at work, I want to cry often, and all I really want to do is sleep. I have a friend that says she was depressed after surgery but I don't see how that can be my issue. I just think I have a lot going on right now and it is the holiday season.

Is there a possibility that my medicine isn't absorbing the way it should be? I take an antidepressants so I wonder if there is another way I can take them so that they are absorbed properly.

Submit "Depression" to Digg Submit "Depression" to del.icio.us Submit "Depression" to StumbleUpon Submit "Depression" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

See a doctor please!
    I agree!! Time to see your doctor
    I am sorry your feeling this way! but I have to agree please see your doctor asap! and try to focus on the positive things!
    I'm not on antidepressants, but I had a bought of depression about 6 weeks post op. I was doing too much from about five days post surgery. I was fortunate that I was able to take a break from work about five weeks before my life got hectic again. I did sleep a lot, but I also got to go to the beach a lot and spent time with family. It was the best medicine for me.

If you are on antidepressants a discussion with your doctor is very important before you change any medication.

Was antidepressants medication and dosage discussed during pre op? What was their recommendation?
    I think thats why you see a psychologist before surgery. You definitely need to talk to a doctor
    I do think that absorption can be an issue with medications. Good to check with DR and see what he/she suggests. I have a call into mine. Waiting for a reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    I'm not on antidepressants, but I had a bought of depression about 6 weeks post op. I was doing too much from about five days post surgery. I was fortunate that I was able to take a break from work about five weeks before my life got hectic again. I did sleep a lot, but I also got to go to the beach a lot and spent time with family. It was the best medicine for me.

If you are on antidepressants a discussion with your doctor is very important before you change any medication.

Was antidepressants medication and dosage discussed during pre op? What was their recommendation?
    I did tell the doctor everything I was on and it was not really brought up. I have to say I tend to go through this from time to time but it only gets like this when I am off my medication and I have been taking it. I am going to schedule another appointment with my doctor and see what he thinks cause I can't keep going back and forth.
    Quote Originally Posted by redkcmom
    I do think that absorption can be an issue with medications. Good to check with DR and see what he/she suggests. I have a call into mine. Waiting for a reply.
    I had never thought about my possibly having an issue with this until I heard every one saying they don't absorb their vitamins.
    Awe I know how you feel, In the beginning I was on a rampage and anyone that got in my way was gonna get it. I was crying, yelling, fighting, and just plain old exhausted. It did go away thank God because my Family was ready to disown me. It's not like me to behave that way and this was over the top. And yes you may very well not be absorbing your meds properly so I would call the Dr. immediately and discuss it with them. I have to crush some of my meds now due to the surgery and although it's an inconvenience you do get used to it. I hope you feel better soon and make that call Barb it's important.
    Barbara, I have been on anti-depressants for 20+ years and will have to remain on them for the rest of my life due to clinical depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc., ect. During my last visit to surgeon, this was one of my questions I had written down to ask him. He assured me I should be okay with my meds absorbing the way them should. I just have to take them at a slower rate during the day.

My psychologist said pretty much the same thing & assured me I am really mentally & emotionally for this surgery (which I going to have in 6 days). I am going to see him again post-op and think I will wait 6-8 weeks out before scheduling an appointment mainly for this reason. I will be able to tell quickly if my meds are continuing to work or not. I believe they will!

Make an appointment with the psychologist you had to see before surgery or find one that deals with bariatric patients so you get the best help possible. You may just need a medication change or something.

Please keep coming back here and updating us on how you are doing. Your mental health is important, and important to me since I have same issue. And, accept my request for friendship on the forum. You cam PM me anytime and we can talk.

Hang in there & God bless.......

Vicki