Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Mags2113

6 days post op - Tips for Mexico surgery

Rate this Entry
Hello everyone,

6 days have come and gone and I can't believe how good I feel...physically :-) Got back from Tijuana on Monday night. It was so good to be home....sleep with my own pillows in my own bed and with my hubby :-) Here are a few things I learned on this trip:

1. When arriving at the San Diego Airport, Zone F is very far from Zone X...we flew Delta Airlines, so we came out baggage claim near zone x and it was a long walk to zone F....so keep that in mind (if you have someone that can't walk very far ... like we did.... it's a good idea to get a wheel chair, or if you think you need one).

2. Be courteous to others in the van. Not everyone has the same lifestyle as you or speaks the same as you (a lady was rude, obnoxious, taking like a sailor, disrespectful). Respect...it goes a long way.

3. Tipping: Take money to tip the drivers/nurses/bell hops ....they go out of their way to help you out. Very nice people. Roberto is a really great driver and very friendly!! The drivers/bell hops will help you with your luggage to/from hospital and to/from hotel. The bell hop will take your luggage to your room and set it up on the counter for you so that you don't pick up anything heavy!

4. When sharing a hospital room, try not to be rude and obnoxious (can you guess who was in our room...haha). We are all there for the same reason, feeling the same symptoms, not everyone likes the same things. She wanted the room pitch dark, and well, I needed a little light so that when I got up, I wouldn't trip and hurt myself after surgery. A little respect goes a long ways. Oh and don't go and complain about others to other patients....because 9 times out of 10, they will tell you....hahaha (geez this sounds like junior high...haha)

5. Once they take you to hotel, the nurses are amazing!! Alejandra, Daniela, Sergio and Sebastian....GREAT nurses and very friendly and treat you like normal people....not fat people. They have wonderful bedside manners. We had one nurse all weekend (Sebastian...very friendly and so funny) and we tipped him before his 48 hour shift (that's right...48 hours straight) was over and he was extremely grateful and so happy. They give you apple juice and jellos and popsicles anytime you need them. We called the restaurant and they would bring us our broth....so good!

6. I read on here before I left about taking "pads" for "accidents"... when you think it's a fart....you best be careful....it can very well be a "shart" .... I couldn't believe it, but it happened...but thank God I had read that, and i was wearing a pad (sorry guys...no clue what y'all would wear...maybe depends?) This happened only after drinking the leak test juice you drink at the imaging center. Be careful!! and be Prepared :-)

7. The hotel is nice. The beds are comfy. Has free wifi :-) Has taxi's there that can take you wherever you would like to go. Believe it or not, I felt safe the whole time I was there.

8. You will be given medication (antibiotics, pain medication, wound wash and medication for heart burn), the antibiotic is HORRIBLE....you have to open the capsule, and pour it into water and drink it.....yuck!! I poured into some gatorade and plugged my nose...a little tolerable, but still yuck!! When you get home, get some applesauce, mix it well, it goes down lots better and with less sourness in your mouth...more tolerable. Your welcome.

9. You will feel horrible the first night, but day by day, you will get better. With less gas pains. We felt good enough to go shopping on the main shopping drag in Tijuana called "La Revolucion St." We walked around for like 2 hours, and it felt good. Just be careful...you will smell good food and you will want it, but we can't....hahaha Oh well, it will be worth it!!

10. Take SMALL sips!! It will hurt if you don't. I forgot a few times, and man, it hurt. If you drink too fast, you will get nauseous and want to vomit. So take it slow and take small sips.

11. Eat ice...oh man, eating ice felt so good and it helped hydrate me. We just called the front desk to bring us ice (that's how they roll ... and yes, tip the bell boy :-) ... $1 - $2 goes a long ways :-)

12. You will meet a lot of great people. You will be able to tell your stories, and it is just nice knowing that you aren't alone in this process.

All in all, this has been a great experience. Weighlossagents.com was there for me every step of the way. You ask a question, and they respond right away. Any question, they will answer it. You have a dumb question (like I did many many times), they will answer it.

I am starting phase 2 on Friday, and can't wait to add protein shakes to my liquid diet. I would do this all over again! I have lost 8.8 lbs in one week, and I am so excited. I can't wait to lose enough where I can go buy new clothes :-) I just want my clothes now to fit good and not tight :-)

p.s. sorry if I ramble....I would never be able to write a book...hahaha

I'm sure I am forgetting lots of things...hahaha

Submit "6 days post op - Tips for Mexico surgery" to Digg Submit "6 days post op - Tips for Mexico surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "6 days post op - Tips for Mexico surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "6 days post op - Tips for Mexico surgery" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sorry you had the rude roommate. I had a wonderful experience in Tijuana with some of the same staff you had. They are wonderful and the bedside manner cannot be touched here in the US! I had people waiting on me hand and foot, with a smile, a midnight back rub for gas pockets...whatever I needed and whenever I asked. ZERO attitude. I agree with your message and I hope it reaches a lot of people. Good luck with the rest of your journey!
    I love your post, its so detailed and informative. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Keep up the good work!
    I had my surgery in Juarez, MX and they were the same way. A little more expensive but I did get a room all to myself. My roommate that complained the whole time, I brought with me. I think all the way around it is just better in Mexico. So glad my I stance doesn't cover this surgery
    Thanks for the post, I'm planning on going early next year and this will help a lot...
    Thanks! I'm working with WeightLossAgents also and this was very helpful. My surgery is in about 5 and a half weeks and I'm starting to feel antsy. I feel the need to get REALLY organized and prepared, any other tips for me heading in?