Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirl

Food Compulsion and Addiction

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Shirl View Post

It has been said that food compulsion is the worst kind of addiction.

I recommend reading a "A Course in Weight Loss" by Marianne Williamson. We must first overcome the blockages, or as she puts it tear down brick by brick, that keep us from realizing our health goals. For some people it is easier, they can determine to stop doing something and they can. For them, something clicked in their brain. They overcame a hurdle, a pain, a situation, or as simple as a thought that afforded them success. For others, it is not easy. It is years, layers upon layers of conditioning that need to be undone and overcome.

Thousands, if not millions, of AA, NA, FA, OA members have been successful at abstaining from their compulsion or addiction. Maybe the majority fail or trip up at some point in their journeys, but they keep going back. I have known several of individuals who have been sober from their addictions for 30-40 years. I've heard of others even longer. Personally, I can't handle that type of structure. I have authority issues. But, I appreciate their principles and the steps. Maybe someday I will need to be in those rooms. Who knows.

These last few weeks, I have been struggling mentally because my weight has been so slowly coming off. I'm over thinking things, sometimes I'm just think what the hell! It's the thinking that sent me right back to daily full sugar and fat lattes, daily treats, or daily choices of high fat, high sugar foods.

I have remind myself several times a day, that for one I had surgery on my stomach not my brain. Second, I remind myself that it's absurd to lose 10lbs in one day, according to the DEXa body composition scan I did a few weeks back I only need to lose another 30-40lbs. So I remind myself that if I eat healthy and make good choices and I continue on the right path I'm eventually going to get to a normal weight.

Yesterday we got gifted, a bag of goodies, ranging from gourmet popcorn to gourmet chocolates. I took the bag, and stored it away. And told my life-partner it was all his. I was also, handed a glass of wine, I took a sip then I put it down. Later, I bought a bag of "vegetable chips" to eat with my tuna sandwich knowing damn well they weren't vegetables, ate a few and put them away. As mentioned in earlier post under normal circumstances I can be a moderator. But under stressful situations I have to work incredibly hard to abstain.

Here are a few articles for your reading leisure:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.preve...?client=safari
https://www.thefix.com/content/oa-vs-aa?page=all

Here is link to the book I mentioned:
https://marianne.com/a-course-in-weight-loss/
This topic of food addiction keeps coming up in my life, these are just a few of my thoughts and how I am dealing with it currently.

Submit "Food Compulsion and Addiction" to Digg Submit "Food Compulsion and Addiction" to del.icio.us Submit "Food Compulsion and Addiction" to StumbleUpon Submit "Food Compulsion and Addiction" to Google

Comments

food addiction IS the worst...we can't just stop eating. We have to learn to live with it. Sucks.
    I can totally related to your post. I have had a habid of hiding food and eating poor choices when im not around my family. I have not done this since surgery but I am wanting to have chocolate and chips and soda ect. I just have to keep telling myself that is not good for me right now.
    I believe this is one of the worst addictions as well. Food is a necessity of life...therefore it is easy to making it seem like you are doing what you are supposed to. It is hard to distinguish the difference between eating to live or eating to fill a void or an unsure craving. Like most addictions, people often don't know what is going on in your head or why you crave the items or substance that you do. That is why I think this forum is so important. We know what it is like to be truly addicted to food and how it can really happen. For me...I am addicted to carbs. OMG that is my favorite thing in the world. Staying away is hard all the time.