Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirl

As if...

Rate this Entry
Life wasn't hard enough...

Our 12+ years old garbage disposal went out of commission two weeks ago, had we not decided to replace it and call the plumber we would have not discovered a leak behind the cabinets which we thought it was the just as old dishwasher. Sears delivered and was going to install new unit last week, but couldn't because leak caused all sorts of black mold on wall and floor. He took both old and new units until further notice. I had a contractor come and give an estimate for repair.

Today, he started and discovered that leak was not from dishwasher but from patio door and balcony.

I had been cleaning mold with bleach and since the hole had been airing for about a week it has been contained or so I thought. Mold was building up between subfloor and bamboo flooring which was starting to buckle slightly. He said water damage has been from several years.

Then when we were deciding up to where to replace floor, he discovers the Fridge has been leaking from underneath and caused mold there too.

Ugh!

It will be a huge inconvenience, but at least we caught it before either one of us got seriously sick from the mold.

Submit "As if..." to Digg Submit "As if..." to del.icio.us Submit "As if..." to StumbleUpon Submit "As if..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

All the best to you. Sorry you have to deal with that.
    Same thing happened to me several years ago. I was replacing my kitchen sink when I found mold at the back of the cupboard underneath. Didn't think it was a big deal but I called a friend of mine who is a Plummer to check it out. Turns out the mold was everywhere from a leak in the water main running under that part of the house. Had to have my entire kitchen and laundry room floors ripped out right down to the floor studs, as well as replace all of the insulation under the house, just to be safe. I was walking around, balancing on 2x8 boards for weeks.

Ugh! Is an understatement
    Oh no...sorry you are dealing with this!
    that is stress in itself! Good luck getting that taken care of and it is a great thing you didn't get sick.
    You are right Kindle! UGH! Is an understatement!

No stove and no kitchen sink for a week they tell me!

It's a good thing I prepared meals for the week!

Thank goodness for microwaves and blenders!
    Sorry to hear that that unhealthy and costly crap had to happen to both of you!
    Am glad you did not get sick.

They say having your kitchen remodeled the stress can cause a divorce.. so chill the best you can
    probably even more when it was not by choice.
    Hang in there
    I've been living with black mold my entire life....it's a given living in Houston. I must be immune to it by now!
    Mold...it's always a pain...I was replacing a kitchen in our house in AZ, the contractor discovered mold behind the sink, so we had to replace the wall and then get the house treated with a special machine to kill all spores to avoid contamination...cost us a fortune!! but at least I didn't get sick...I'm allergic to several types of mold..
    oh no
    I try to take the attitude "at least it's not life support". Meaning, things could be worse!
    Home ownership, one thing after the other! As my husband always tells our grown kids, "S__t happens." Hope it doesn't cost too much to fix.

I guess the same thing applies to car ownership, and life in general. Currently one son is whining about his need for dental work, and how much it will cost. Sorry kid, I took you every 6 months when you lived with me!! Now you choose to skip the dentist and see what happens.
    Ha! Right on, Sraebaer!

Well, when life gives you lemons- just make a lemon chiffon sufle. Looks like another week of no functioning kitchen. Managed to keep major repairs at $8000 which includes brand spanking new major appliances! Gutting the kitchen and do a remodel would cost upwards $40,000. Maybe someday.

My hubby has a meeting in California so I'm hoping on a plane with him today until Wednesday. I can work remotely so it works out for me!

I will have access to a gym, and nutritious food. I refroze my MuscleEgg and checked it in.