Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed


My experience w/Almanza

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Keep in mind that MX is a few decades behind the US when it comes to luxury. If you think about American hospitals during the 70s or 80s, you will have a better idea of the facilities in MX. Almanza's location is in a strip-mall but don't let that scare you. Once you walk in the doors, you totally forget that.

The first thing you do is put on booties. Then, you have blood drawn. The nurse has been the best person EVER to take blood. I didn't even feel a prick. Next, all patients walk upstairs for pre-op preparations and consult. This is where you will answer your medical history, have you EEG, and get your IV. Again, the nurse did the best IV that I have ever had! No pain, got it in w/the first stick, and more importantly, I had NO bruises!

Next the waiting game begins, you lie in a room until it's your time. I was 3rd in line. So, my roommate and I just chatted until she went down. The lady who was first in line came up to her room, next to ours. She was WIDE awake and talked for a long time w/my hubby and hers.

When it was my time, a nurse guided me downstairs to the OR. I got on the bed, the attached arm rests to the bed and the last thing I remember was someone asking me about my history w/latex. The next thing I remember was waking up and being guided back upstairs to my bed. Hubby burped me several times during the night and he also burped the 2 other ladies, when they needed it. (He rocks!)

I really don't know if I had pain the first 12 - 18 hrs. Every time that my roommate asked for something, they gave it to me too. She had a very rough night and her drain had to be emptied like 4 times. Mine was only drained once. I did have a heating pad packed, so, my hubby got it out for me almost immediately when I got to bed. It was great to have! (I had pinned a safety pin to it before going. So, when he got the pad out, I grabbed the pin and attached my drain to my gown.) I got up several times during the next 12 - 18 hrs to walk and use the restroom.

Since being sent to the hotel, I had not had ANY pain relievers nor have I needed them. They called us around 3 the day after surgery to see if we wanted to go shopping. Yes, I wanted to walk, so we did. I couldn't have shopped for hours but the hour and half was just what I needed. When we got back to the hotel, I showered, changed my dressings, and took a nap. Later, they took us back to the hospital for antibiotics and to check on us. (If you are staying at the hotel, you MUST ask for gauze or take your own. They probably won't think about giving it to when you leave the hospital the day after surgery.)

There was a lady who had surgery the day before us who went to the hospital w/us. She was having a horrible time. She had some sort of reaction to one of the meds and had been vomiting literally all day. Of the 4 of us sleeved on the 24th, none of us had nearly the hard time that she had.

After we got back to the hotel, hubby and I walked up to the convenience store and got some juice for me and snacks for him. the next day was the hardest part. I had to wake up at 6:30 to start drinking the nasty crap for the leak test. It took me until 9 to do it. Then, we went the xray clinic for the leak test. The barium drink was nasty and I thought that I was going to vomit but didn't. My recommendation for those of you who have not had your sleeve yet...CHUG that nasty white crap. (This is the only time that I will say chugging is okay.)

Everything was fine; so, we went back to the hotel. Later that night, they took us the hospital to have the IV and drain removed (felt weird, it was MUCH longer than I had thought.) The others who were sleeved on my day rec'd another shot of something but the nurse said that I was doing so great, I didn't need it.

The next day, we went back to San Diego. Hubby and I had decided to make a mini-vacation out of the trip. So, we went to the hotel that I had booked for us. The next 2 1/2 days, we lounged around the resort and sunbathed.

The best thing that I had done was have a wheelchair lined up for me at the airport. Walking through the airport in San Diego wouldn't have too bad but Atlanta would have been a nightmare and we would have missed our flight home to Birmingham.

I weighed once we got home. I had lost 10 pounds in a week! WooHoo! Since getting back, everything has been great. I went back to work on day 6. I was a little tired but nothing too bad. I ended up not being able to get my stitches out when I had planned b/c I had an allergic reaction to band-aids and the skin around 2 of the incisions was too inflamed. So, I had to wait a couple of days. I have become dehydrated but not too bad. Pedilyte came to my rescue.

Some people say that they cannot take the cipro that Almanza gives but I had no problems. I haven't had issues taking any pills that I have tried. It just takes longer than it did pre-op but that isn't bad. I haven't touched the "pain killer" or MOM that he gave me. Haven't needed them. After the first week, I did start having some diarrhea but my doc gave me Lomtril for that. No issues for several days now.

I'm still learning to eat slower. Twice, I have eaten too much but didn't get "sick". I did get the slimies once when I had something that was too chewy. (That is NOT something that you want to have happen!!)

My taste buds have changed and that is taking some getting used to. I cannot stand my chewable vitamins that I liked pre-op. (I am sending them back, since that is an option.) Water did not go down easily the first week and half. It really felt like fine grain sandpaper going down. Then, something "clicked' over the 2nd weekend and now it is okay.

It isn't hard to "diet" post-op. The hardest thing is getting the 64oz of fluid and protein in each day. I haven't hit the protein mark yet but have hit the fluids 3 times. I NEVER feel hungry and have to remind myself to eat.

Since starting my 3 day pre-op diet, I am now down 30 pounds. That's in 3 weeks time! I dieted 7 months last year and lost a whopping 5 pounds.

In a nutshell, I highly recommend the surgery and Almanza and his staff. I have had no regrets, other than not doing it sooner. The best part is that since the night before surgery, I have not take any BP meds or Glucophage XR AND no more CPAP!! All blood test levels are perfect!

Submit "My experience w/Almanza" to Digg Submit "My experience w/Almanza" to del.icio.us Submit "My experience w/Almanza" to StumbleUpon Submit "My experience w/Almanza" to Google



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. rockscott40's Avatar
    Thank you for your post. It is something I needed to read. I go in two weeks....
  2. yolymarie's Avatar
    Thank you so much I leave tomorrow and I am terrified. I got some grea tips from this post
  3. TarotAces's Avatar
    I know you made this post YEARS ago, but it is STILL helping people. I am one of them.

    Thank you soo much for taking the time.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12