Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

zizi

Nursing your child post-op?

Rate this Entry
Is it okay to nurse your child post-op? Has anyone done it before? Doctors are recommending I wean him; but I don't think that is an option. I work all day and he'll wait for me to get home before he has any milk. He's 14 months old (I know a bit old for nursing) but he loves it. He usually nurses throughout the night because I'm at work all day.

Any recommendations? I was thinking of pumping as much as I can prior to the procedure and freezing it so he will have a stash that he can eat from while I'm recovering...doctors think I should just wean him, but I think that's unfair to him. He's not ready to stop nursing yet.

Submit "Nursing your child post-op?" to Digg Submit "Nursing your child post-op?" to del.icio.us Submit "Nursing your child post-op?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Nursing your child post-op?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

If you don't get an answer from veteran sleevers, reach out to La Leche League or a similar support group in your area. They were helpful when my babies were born 24-27 years ago.

My concern is that during surgery they gave me anticoagulants, they told me it would be in my system for several weeks, so if I found bruises not to freak out. I was also given pain meds that stayed in my body for several days because I sure did not feel any pain whatsoever. Then there are the stomach acid meds they sent me home with. I did have about two to three weeks worth and they told I must take them to reduce chances of Acid Reflux and GERD.

You will be taking lots of medication that may harm your baby. You can always keep throwing your breast milk away until you are free of meds in your system and then start breastfeeding again. I had to do that several times, but for a few days.

I have heard from other breastfeeding mothers that it's the mom who has a psychological attachment, and not a healthy one when kid is like five or six years old and mom is still not able to stop breastfeeding.

I think you have done amazing for fourteen months, all my kids just got 3-6 months, my youngest getting the longest because I didn't go back to work immediately.

Best wishes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    If you don't get an answer from veteran sleevers, reach out to La Leche League or a similar support group in your area. They were helpful when my babies were born 24-27 years ago.

My concern is that during surgery they gave me anticoagulants, they told me it would be in my system for several weeks, so if I found bruises not to freak out. I was also given pain meds that stayed in my body for several days because I sure did not feel any pain whatsoever. Then there are the stomach acid meds they sent me home with. I did have about two to three weeks worth and they told I must take them to reduce chances of Acid Reflux and GERD.

You will be taking lots of medication that may harm your baby. You can always keep throwing your breast milk away until you are free of meds in your system and then start breastfeeding again. I had to do that several times, but for a few days.

I have heard from other breastfeeding mothers that it's the mom who has a psychological attachment, and not a healthy one when kid is like five or six years old and mom is still not able to stop breastfeeding.

I think you have done amazing for fourteen months, all my kids just got 3-6 months, my youngest getting the longest because I didn't go back to work immediately.

Best wishes!

Thanks! I'll email La Leche League. We were hoping to nurse until he was 18 months or until he weaned himself. But if I'll be on all of those medz, then I'll definitely have to just stop. I wouldn't want to harm him.
    Unfortunately it will be a problem! all the antibiotics and pain meds , meds given for sedation, THe most benefits have come, most pediatricians recommend breast feeding until a year if able! so you have done your duty, now your turn!
    Quote Originally Posted by lorylynch
    Unfortunately it will be a problem! all the antibiotics and pain meds , meds given for sedation, THe most benefits have come, most pediatricians recommend breast feeding until a year if able! so you have done your duty, now your turn!
    Thanks Lory,

That's my biggest problem, every one else's needs always come before me. It is my turn and I'm ready!
    Dr Tom Hale is THE guy to go to when wondering about drugs and breastfeeding...

http://www.infantrisk.com/categories/breastfeeding

You can't avoid the anesthesia, but you CAN avoid strong opioids after surgery. And I didn't get any blood thinners either. Ask your doc about a "Caine" pump for pain relief after surgery. That's what I had for the sleeve and a shoulder repair I had a few yrs back. It goes directly to the area that needs numbing...no systemic meds. I never even needed a Tylenol after either surgeries.

I bf my first for 17 mos, my send for 19 mos and my third for 25 mos. I was also a Lamaze instructor, a Certified Breastfeeding Educator and worked in both L&D and nursery at a hospital.

You def can bf after surg but you need to get with your surgeon to find the way to get the least amount of drugs afterwards. You may have to pump and dump for a week or so afterwards because of the anesthesia. Also talk to the anesthesiologist to see if they can work to reduce the amt of drugs used. I was waaaay over anesthesized and could have done with a lot less of whatever they used on me.

Get a copy of dr Hales book on drugs and bf, even MD's aren't aware of what drugs are ok to bf on and which aren't.
    The biggest issue with breastfeeding after surgery is being able to maintain calories and nutrients to sustain yourself and make milk. I am not sure it is possible. I am pretty tough and it took a while before I felt like myself. Personally, it seems that it would be too much of a stressor to your body post op, physically and emotionally. I appreciate that your son still wants to breast feed but you may find it just not possible post op. Possibly you should postpone your surgery until he is weaned...that is a thought.

Best of luck,
    Michelle
    Quote Originally Posted by mrf0418
    The biggest issue with breastfeeding after surgery is being able to maintain calories and nutrients to sustain yourself and make milk. I am not sure it is possible. I am pretty tough and it took a while before I felt like myself. Personally, it seems that it would be too much of a stressor to your body post op, physically and emotionally. I appreciate that your son still wants to breast feed but you may find it just not possible post op. Possibly you should postpone your surgery until he is weaned...that is a thought.

Best of luck,
    Michelle
    Michelle has an excellent point. It would be impossible to consume enough calories for at least a couple of months (unless you eat junk food nonstop, I suppose), which will hinder your supply and make your baby cranky.

And the stress on your body from the surgery itself is very real

Waiting til your little guy is weaned is a good idea.
    Thanks for your comments.

I've been living with gallbladder issues for the past year for this exact reason. First attack my son was 2 months old. I cried the whole time in the emergency room because I was pumping and dumping. They gave me morphin for the pain. I opted out of doing the surgery because I wanted to nurse him for as log as he wanted. For I can handle the gallbladder attacks without pain meds I think I'll be ok post-op. I just hate pumping and dumping. It's like throwing away liquid gold!! If I can pump and freeze a big enough supply before I get a surgery date I am going to do it. Plus the surgeon said he can remove my gallbladder at the same time.
    I know moms are suppose to sacrifice for their kids. It my weight has gotten out of control and my sleep apnea keeps me up all night and shortness of breathe is a scary thing. Especially when I wake up gasping for air.
    While this may seem like I'm being selfish. I'm trying to do something to give myself and my family a better quality of life.
    I think it's time I took care of myself so that I can be around to take care of my boys.