Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

blackjac24

Ice cream question

Rate this Entry
I have a question for anyone that has had the surgery. I am on a limited diet because of the IC (interstitial Cystitis) so I can't have any caffeine, very limited fruits and vegetables. I started working out almost everyday. I am coming up to my 8th week. My question is, is it so horrible for me to consume a small cup of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt? I dont have it everyday but is it something that I should work on giving up? I eat fruits and veggies everyday. I found some great veggie burgers, to try to eat. I am still doing a protein shake everyday with 45 grams of protein. Chicken still bothers me. And some times the fish gets stuck. I feel besides the veggies and fruit I am mostly on liquids. Thanks for your advise ahead of time.

Submit "Ice cream question" to Digg Submit "Ice cream question" to del.icio.us Submit "Ice cream question" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ice cream question" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

If it doesn't impede your weightloss or lead to a huge bowl of ice cream, then go ahead. But if it keeps you from being successful, then no, don't eat it.
    What's your reaction to Greek yogurt? There are some wonderful products out there -- with very high protein and much less sugar than ice cream / frozen yogurt.
    As a icecream-a-holic... here's my take. I was a big chocolate ice cream eater before the sleeve so it's something I really missed having, but this is what I discovered.

If I eat a chocolate ice cream I have to keep it small, like around a 1/2 cup. Anymore than that and I start feeling sick.

However if I eat a non-chocolate based flavor, like cookies and cream or chocolate chip, I find I can eat a little more, closer to a cup without feeling sick. I never looked at the label but I'm guessing the chocolate has more sugar in it.

Toppings like caramel or chocolate syrup are out of the question. Instant sickness.

This is my personal reaction and yours might be different, but definitely start small.
    I eat a vanilla cone from Mickey D's, about once or twice a week. I have found my weight loss has slowed down quite a bit, but I don't think the Ice cream has anything to do with it. I am getting closer to goal, and am still losing a couple of pounds most weeks, sometimes more. I was three months out before I even tried to eat ice cream though.
    At two months I was not eating much either (I have IBS and lot' of greens are not on my menu), and frozen yogurt should be fine if you can tolerate it. I know that at almost 7 months post-op I can't eat much ice cream (2 or 3 tea spoon may be) but I was never crazy about it anyway. The best way for me (at your stage) to be able to have more veggies and protein was with soups, I mixed up my proteins (mostly fish or shrimp) and my veggies all together, it was easier that way. Veggie burgers are great too, there's a big selection at Trader Joe's, but I prefer the organic one in the fridge section (frozen one's don't have that much proteins). Beans, split peas etc are also something my stomach likes. Good luck!
    Here are a few things I have found out about ice cream in my almost three months post op... Apparently I can have a cup without restriction, that's disheartening because if I'm left to my own devices I could make it a habit. But! I have had this issue with constipation, and I found that when I have eaten ice cream it acts like a laxative, and it gets me moving. And lastly if I eat too much it makes me nauseous and miserable for hours,

The other issue that I have discovered through feed back from my LoseIt app, and online readings on KETOGENIC diet programs is that it is recommended to have one refeed day a week in order to restore glycogen so we don't lose muscle-if I understand it right. Ice cream once a week maybe a needed treat, if it isn't a trigger food that might trip you down a slippery path.

My alternative is a Brown Cow nonfat Greek yogurt Salted Caramel flavor I discovered at Whole Foods Market, it is delicious! And for some reason, I can have that as a treat and not think about a second serving.
    I have been successful with the occasional "bad" food, but I definitely don't do it all the time. I'd say go for it, but then again, I am not one of those "perfect" sleevers.
    I don't consider foods "bad" or "good" this leads me to tie emotion to my food all over again. I will have a bite or two or three of whatever I want. I realize that this is a life journey and saying "I will never eat ..." is unrealistic. Granted I do limit myself to how much I eat and I try to get some form of movement in for the day as well. Good luck to you!
    Thank you everyone for your advice but I have decided to go back to a veggie and fruit detox. Greek yogurt causes a flare from IC.
    I ate small ice cream sundaes - maybe 3 or 4 bites - within 6 months. Now I keep Oikos Greek Yogurt on hand or Yoplait Light.
    i say dont deprive yourself, just dont over do it. They do make ice cream in small little cups like for birthday partys i dont think eating one ever now and then will hurt anything
    After surgery my husband lived on ice cream, along with 90-100 grams protein. He has lost 100 pounds and doing fantastic. Ice cream sits well with his tummy and has done nothing to stop his weight loss.