Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

MIVanderwood

Sleeve to RNY

Rate this Entry
This one goes out to anyone out there that has had to be converted from sleeve to RNY. I was just told by my doctor, after four years being sleeved, that I need to be converted to RNY. It has taken me four years to finally except that this HAS to be done, now I just have to get the insurance company to get on board. My question is two fold: Has anyone else had to have the conversion due to uncontrollable acid reflux and how did it go having the conversion, and How hard did they have to fight to get the insurance on board. I am wondering how long I will have to wait while the doc does battle with AETNA. Please share what ever experience you have had with this. I am really trying to fight my fears with knowledge.

Submit "Sleeve to RNY" to Digg Submit "Sleeve to RNY" to del.icio.us Submit "Sleeve to RNY" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sleeve to RNY" to Google

Comments

Goodluck on your surgery hope everything turns out great
    Don't give up.
    Are you on the gastric bypass forums, too? You might find some folks there in your shoes.
    I just had the hiatal hernia repair on July 21 2016 and was supposed to have the bypass with it ,but my dr changed his mind when he saw how bad my hernia was .( my whole stomach was in my esophagus and pushed up into my diaframe , The hole was so big that he was for sure that this would solve my severe heartburn but the very next day we did the upper GI and the reflux is still there. It's been two weeks and I'm still having heartburn and now tightness in my chest but I'm not throwing up any more so I'm gonna give it some time ,I wish he old have just gone with the plan and done the RNY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful
    I just had the hiatal hernia repair on July 21 2016 and was supposed to have the bypass with it ,but my dr changed his mind when he saw how bad my hernia was .( my whole stomach was in my esophagus and pushed up into my diaframe , The hole was so big that he was for sure that this would solve my severe heartburn but the very next day we did the upper GI and the reflux is still there. It's been two weeks and I'm still having heartburn and now tightness in my chest but I'm not throwing up any more so I'm gonna give it some time ,I wish he old have just gone with the plan and done the RNY.
    I too had the hernia repair when they sleeved me. I hated the way I felt afterwards and have had acid reflux to this day. From what I have gathered thus far, the doc should have done the RNY on me instead of the sleeve. For people with severe acid reflux it is something that can be made far worse with the sleeve. I have tried everything from drining Apple idea vinegar to tums with my Dexilant. The esophageal spasms that have been going on since the first surgery have landed me in the hospital on a few occasions and resulted in the inability to take any kind of pain medication at all or it will trigger another episode, so needless to say, I will be going through with the fix. I am anxious to put the drama of this situation far behind me.
    That's what I wanted but my doctor chicken out told me that I couldn't lose any more weight that I was carrying about 12 pounds of extra skin and I would be malnutrition . Good luck to ya and hope you keep me posted on how the outcome goes .
    Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful
    That's what I wanted but my doctor chicken out told me that I couldn't lose any more weight that I was carrying about 12 pounds of extra skin and I would be malnutrition . Good luck to ya and hope you keep me posted on how the outcome goes .
    Will do. I called and asked about the time line for dealing with the red tape and they said it would be about a month and a half till we get the approval. Anything to make this stop. I have more weight to lose so I am not very worried about that, just the malnutrition. I take a lot of vitamins.