Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

bnk1cs

Depression

Rate this Entry
How many of you experienced depression or other mental issues after having surgery?

Submit "Depression" to Digg Submit "Depression" to del.icio.us Submit "Depression" to StumbleUpon Submit "Depression" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I have read that a large number of WLS patients have this after surgery
    I have been over-the-moon happy. Best time of my life! I could have never in a million years imagined me a regular sized person, and now I am one. I can't imagine being depressed. I was when I has fat, but now life is wonderful.
    I had to go through two psych eval to be approved, and was really shocked when the psychiatrist told me there's a high percentage of suicide after a sleeve. There's two studies about it.
    But the doctor also told me that a big indicator is your state of mind before surgery. If there's already issues before a sleeve, then it will be important to have a good psychologist or psychiatrist to follow you post sleeve.
    I never had depression issues so I was no worried.
    Now, for those with food addiction, there's also a study that did show that there's a risk of switching for alcohol post-sleeve.

There's many books about "what to expect after a sleeve". I did read also that there's a lot of people who get a divorce after a sleeve. Each person has her own history and I don't think it's all on the sleeve.

My personal experience was being tired a lot during the first weeks, I was not depressed. But I do feel better to be lighter. No more joint pain!! I can't exercise as much as I want but I know it will be coming soon.
    I think my husband is a little stressed out to see my figure changing that much, I was away three weeks and told me I did change so much suddenly. I don't really see it, it will take time for me to have a good idea of my size, I still have a hard time knowing what size I am and I had to change sizes several times during the past weeks, I couldn't believe the smaller size was actually my size.
    I don't know if I would call it depression but I was really discouraged when I was losing way slower than a lot of others starting out at around the same time. After finally getting to goal, I say who cares how much faster everyone else is losing? This is your own journey, and you are on your own time table and make your own rules. I am with Susan, depression is far away as things are finally falling in place in my life. I would never had the couage to make some of the decisions I have if I still weighed 280 lbs. Best wishes to you!
    I've dealt with depression on and off. There are many different types of depression from genetics to biochemical to hormonal to situational.

Lately I have felt overwhelmingly tired and it takes real mental effort to get going, I am certain it's biochemical due to Bariatric surgery and our low caloric restrictive diet, but I also have had several life circumstances that have put a mental and emotional drain on me. I do mindful meditation to stay present and not internalize what I cannot control. Other words not buy into the drama. But again it is a daily on going struggle and some days are easier than others.

It is important that as post Bariatric Surgery patients we become informed of not only the physical risks post surgery, but also the mental and emotional risks.

We must find that balance and it is a daily mindful and ongoing work.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_...-mental-health

http://www.healthline.com/health/dep...causes#Causes3