Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Tandem

Not what I expected. . .first post-op visit with surgeon

Rate this Entry
So today was my first visit with my surgeon since my operation. I am down eight pounds. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. My husband helped to put things in perspective by saying that I've basically lost a pound a day. In total, I've lost 25 pounds, most of it coming from my pre-op op diet that I started back in March/April. My next appointment is with the nutritionist in a month.

I've also been cleared to beging soft food but I'm still a little nervous. I'm going to try making a protein smoothing with Greek yogurt tomorrow but I'm nervous about doing anything more than that. I'm going to stick with mostly liquids for another few days.

Submit "Not what I expected. . .first post-op visit with surgeon" to Digg Submit "Not what I expected. . .first post-op visit with surgeon" to del.icio.us Submit "Not what I expected. . .first post-op visit with surgeon" to StumbleUpon Submit "Not what I expected. . .first post-op visit with surgeon" to Google

Tags: post-op, week 2 Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Two weeks since surgery? I can tell you that everyone's experience is different. Both my husband and I had the VGS surgery - mine in August 2015 and his October 2015 and yes while men lose differently than women - I lost more than he did. He was consuming larger amounts and more frequently (broth, protein shakes, liquids and also food). Measuring is key for sure and staying away from high calorie foods and fluids. It's hard eating things that are not like what we are used to - especially when the flavor we remember isn't there. The first few weeks after surgery (for me) were the most difficult. Phantom cravings ran rampant day and night. I wish you the best of luck!
    I'm sure you prob still have fluid from the surgery, too. Stay off the scale for a few more days then look again. It's only been a week, right?
    Stay off the scale. Period. Follow your plan, get 60-80g protein and 64oz+ water. Those are the only numbers you need to be concerned with for the next couple months.
    Thanks I needed that advice. Lost a few poundes the first wk and nothing.I decided early on not to be a scale watcher,but honestly I can't help it.2 weeks p.o. getting all my protein and about 70oz of water with the protein included. Guess I just need reassurance I'm doing this right.
    I agree stay off of the scale it doesnt help
    Let's do the math...17 prep op+8 surgery+20...I'm a conservative with appointment for nutritionist= WHAT A GOOD CHOICE,,!!! Now, don't get on the scale until then...promise yourself and exercise instead ! Good success
    Glad I read this. My surgery was 10 days ago and I've only lost 5 pounds and I've really been upset but now I'll take everyone's word and stay off the scale.
    Keep things in perspective....when in your life have you lost 8 lbs in a week...or more accurate a comparison....when in RECENT diet life could you pull that off? Also, the faster off the worse for body and skin. I lost same as you first week.
    Thanks for the advice to stay off the scale. Since we're in transition right now and staying in a hotel I have the luxury (?) of not having a easy access to a scale. My next opportunity to weigh myself will be on or about July 9 which is when we leave the hotel and stay with my mom for a week. She doesn't know I've had the surgery. . .and I'm not planning to tell her until after I've reached my goal weight and maintained it for a year!
    I have been addicted to the scale-I asked my husband to remove the battery today so I won't be tempted. Lost 10 pounds pre-op and gained it back by the day after surgery ! I'm not 'officially' 2 pounds down since day of surgery but refuse to get discouraged. Having some issues with one of my incisions not healing so well. Anyone else have that problem?
    Prior to the surgery I went on the scale everyday, at the same time. For me, it just worked better. I understand that weight varies day to day, but I liked to weight everyday, log my weight into My Fitness Pal and see the line trend downwards.

Anyway, I know I'm losing. . . just need patience!
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaLu
    I have been addicted to the scale-I asked my husband to remove the battery today so I won't be tempted. Lost 10 pounds pre-op and gained it back by the day after surgery ! I'm not 'officially' 2 pounds down since day of surgery but refuse to get discouraged. Having some issues with one of my incisions not healing so well. Anyone else have that problem?
    HI,
    2 of my smaller incisions were taking along time to heal and appeared infected,however they were not they were just slower than the others.I used a sponge infused with a antibacterial soap.It was the only thing that touched the wounds.I also used a steri-strip to close the incision,I used topical antibiotic creme and covered it at night with a bandaid. I let the air circulate during the day.The antibiotic cream made it look infected,when in fact it was not. going on 4 weeks..all scabbed over. Hope this helps. No more worries,swam yesterday.