Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Tandem

Day six - it's getting harder

Rate this Entry
I had my surgery on Monday, June 13. I am SO over beef broth, chicken broth and protien shakes. My stomach is growling. For the first time since my surgery I am hungry. My husband just bought Popeyes fried chicken with biscuits. I'm trying to be strong, but it's getting hard.
It's not so much that I want fried chicken. It's just that I just don't want a shake or broth of any kind! Ugh! Didn't think it would be this hard at this point. . .

Submit "Day six - it's getting harder" to Digg Submit "Day six - it's getting harder" to del.icio.us Submit "Day six - it's getting harder" to StumbleUpon Submit "Day six - it's getting harder" to Google

Comments

Can't you have full liquids? I think most people are ready for full liquids at this point.
    I know exactly what you are feeling. I feel the same way. I am really hoping it gets better really soon.
    Hi Pam G - thanks for the comment. At this point, I am allowed to have protein shakes, clear liquids, lactose free milk (soy, almond, etc.) diluted vegetable juice, broths, tea, Popsicles, jello and water.

Someone suggested draining the soup from Campbell's chicken noodle soup and drinking that. So, I'm trying that for dinner and it's much better. Tomorrow I'll add the unflavored protein to see if that impacts the taste, texture.

I know this is just temporary, but I'm finding today to be especially difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjac24
    I know exactly what you are feeling. I feel the same way. I am really hoping it gets better really soon.
    The power point I received from my doctor said that we should stay on full liquids through day seven, which would mean beginning on Tuesday, I should be able to start mushy foods. However the PowerPoint also says that we should wait until we've seen the doctor for the one week post op visit. However, my appointment isn't scheduled until Thursday. At this point I think that I'm going to move forward eating mushy foods on Tuesday. Things have been going ok so far, so I think I'll be ready by Tuesday.

I just keep telling myself it won't be like this forever. I just need to be patient.
    I think my biggest mistake during first week was making a broccoli cheese soup on my Vitamix because I was sick of clear broths. HUGE mistake. My tummy twisted and turned from just a few tablespoons and I stayed on plain broths a few days longer out fear. Though I had been been allowed full protein shake from day one. So that's weird.

My dietician recommended full liquids for 30-days, and reminded me soft to mushy foods and nothing too extravagant for the first 90-days. I didn't even ask to clarify because I had already had spicy tuna, simple guacamole, Indian lentils, polenta and beans by week 3 and while they cause some type of feeling in my tummy I was fine. My biggest thing now (day 32) is having illusions of neon able to eat normalish. Yesterday I ordered an meatball soup at a Mexican restaurant, complained to my daughter that it only had two meatballs, but in reality it was the perfect portion! After I ate the meatballs I could barely eat the cooked carrots and the broth. I was really happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandem
    The power point I received from my doctor said that we should stay on full liquids through day seven, which would mean beginning on Tuesday, I should be able to start mushy foods. However the PowerPoint also says that we should wait until we've seen the doctor for the one week post op visit. However, my appointment isn't scheduled until Thursday. At this point I think that I'm going to move forward eating mushy foods on Tuesday. Things have been going ok so far, so I think I'll be ready by Tuesday.

I just keep telling myself it won't be like this forever. I just need to be patient.
    I have been having plain yogurt, spinach, strawberries and sometimes bananas protein shakes since Friday because I was having big problems with chicken broth and SF stuff. It has been easier to get through the day. Drinking water has never been a problem until this surgery, now it seems impossible to drink so much. I was told after the second week thing start to get better.
    Ugh! I feel ur pain (day 19 here) I was allowed yogurt and pudding as full liquids and even that by day 10 wasn't working. Just hang jn there...it is about damaging your healing tummy. Maybe email nut and ask if u can add yogurt...even if thinned out. I for d the yogurt and pudding concoctions I cam up with kept me fuller longer. I started a short list of mushee proteins day 14 and now I can go 3 hrs without hunger. What are ur stages? When do u progress? Oh! One more. Try adding unflavored protein powder to ur broths and soups this may help, too.
    I hope things get better for you