Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

mrtumnus

It is HAIR LOSS time!!!!!

Rate this Entry
I am experiencing hair loss which seems normal at this point (going into 4 months out). Thank goodness I have thick hair, but it is still disconcerting when you run a comb thru and you pull off a handful of hair! How long does this last? Anything I can do other than take vitamins, get in protein?

I think it is silly to cut off my long hair that took years to grow..

Submit "It is HAIR LOSS time!!!!!" to Digg Submit "It is HAIR LOSS time!!!!!" to del.icio.us Submit "It is HAIR LOSS time!!!!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "It is HAIR LOSS time!!!!!" to Google

Tags: hair loss Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I think hair follicles go through a 3 month cycle, so based on that, as long as your nutrition us up to snuff, it should last about 3 months. This is based on what I've read, not personal experience....yet!
    And no reason to cut your hair....hair grows from the follicle in the scalp.....the long part is already "dead"
    Hindsight here but the time to start on hair and nail vitamins was the day after surgery. I did and was damn glad. I have short hair but still no hair loss that I could see. I took a prenatal vitamin plus a hair and nail one with Biotin. I didn't really care about the hair since I wear bandanas to ride and ball caps alot but I didn't want to risk my nails getting messed up and start breaking.
    Yeah I have been taking vitamins since surgery, too..I guess it maybe the shock of the surgery and less protein..
    You have really short hair in your profile pic, though. Lol
    Iron supplements helped my hair to grow back in, and I still take them every day. My hairdresser said it was like night and day. Best to you!
    everyone says nothing helps unless you are NOT following protein guidelines and supplements. There is an article out there somewhere about hair growth cycles and how surgery disrupts that....just look for regrowth and have faith! (says the one early out with no hair loss yet
    That has me worried too when i have surgery
    I lost hair at about 3-4 months out and freaked out. It was back to normal around 6-7 months out. I have been taking a prenatal and dissoluble B12 everyday since about a week post op.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    You have really short hair in your profile pic, though. Lol
    Me? Yeah and? Still didn't have any hair loss. I've worn my hair short for many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by azladyrider
    Me? Yeah and? Still didn't have any hair loss. I've worn my hair short for many years.

No, my comment was directed at MrTumnus.....see her pic? Lol
    How are you doing today??
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    No, my comment was directed at MrTumnus.....see her pic? Lol
    Ahhh me bad... sorry about that ! Have a great day all
    I was on several supplements and extra protein and still lost about half my hair volume at around 6 months. Luckily it only lasted about a month, and is much better now. I think its just a luck of the draw honestly. I was doing everything right and still lost a lot of hair. Some people that don't do the right things and never lose any. I think surgery effects us all different and we just have to hold on and hope we don't need a wig before it settles out lol
    Yesterday I poached one whole egg with two additional egg whites, pre op I'd would probably save the egg yolks to make egg custard or something deadly. I decided to save and add coconut oil and whip it up to make a hair mask. I am not sure how effective it is for hair loss, but It can't hurt...

Here are a few recipes if you want to try an egg hair mask: http://m.newhealthguide.org/Egg-Yolk-For-Hair.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Yesterday I poached one whole egg with two additional egg whites, pre op I'd would probably save the egg yolks to make egg custard or something deadly. I decided to save and add coconut oil and whip it up to make a hair mask. I am not sure how effective it is for hair loss, but It can't hurt...

Here are a few recipes if you want to try an egg hair mask: http://m.newhealthguide.org/Egg-Yolk-For-Hair.html

Hair grows from the follicle, which is buried in the skin layers. I doubt anything that goes on the already dead hair shaft will affect growth.
    Well ... Not sure if I agree completely because the mask is not only for hair but also for scalp. Follicles like skin can absorb nutrients. There are numerous of tried and tested studies of natural oils on hair, and many attest to improvement on elasticity, bounce, shine and texture. I have read that the curlier hair is the harder to keep moisturized, but that's about it.

I definitely believe it's about nutrition, as well as age, stress level, gender, hormones, ethnicity and genetics all are contributors to how much hair growth/loss we have in our lifetime.

Here is another possible mask you or other may want to try: Castor Oil benefits: http://atcemsce.org/benefits-of-best...ir-and-health/
    Thanks all! My hairdresser used to complain that I had a lion's mane, so she will be a bit happier! hahaha
    I have thick naturally curly hair and when mine starting thinning after surgery I cut it shorter than normal. I have taken prenatal vitamins for 15 years, and I increased by biotin to 20,000 MCG's per day 30 minutes after eating so it didn't upset my tummy. It's normal (but not mandatory) for hair to thin after any surgery but when it's combine with major diet changes, nutritional changes, and weight loss at the same time, it's like a recipe for it.
    It does grow back, which is great! Mine was almost back to where is was before I went shorter then decided to try a new cut- hated it so am in the process of growing it back out yet again.
    Getting your daily vitamins, protein and water is essential and will help keep the loss to a minimum, but luckily I was really the only one who really noticed the hair loss, nobody else did. I just thought they did because I knew about it.