Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Cherub

Staple line

Rate this Entry
Ok I admit this question may be ridiculous. I am just thinking so much about it I want to ask so I can get it off my mind. Have any of you asked or heard anything about how the staple line interacts with other organs near it? I saw one u tube person who said she can't sleep on her left side without it hurting and she was post op many months.

Submit "Staple line" to Digg Submit "Staple line" to del.icio.us Submit "Staple line" to StumbleUpon Submit "Staple line" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I have been looking for anything I can find on this and so far I havent found any documentation
    I have had zero issues and to be honest, have seldom thought about the staples once I was able to bend over easily after surgery. Every once in a while, if I sneeze hard I wonder if I could pull one loose, but after a bit I forget again.
    Some surgeons oversew the staple line so that it is encased in the stomach. Others don't oversew, but they tuck the stomach back into the fat.

Over time, the staples will get covered over by new tissue growth. Not sure how long that takes, though.
    Pretty much what PamG said. Scar tissue eventually covers over any wound on the inside just like it does on the outside of your body. In the case of the abdominal cavity, you have a mesh-like tissue called peritoneum covering the abdominal wall and organs. In the event of trauma (or in this case surgery), the peritoneum acts like a bandaid, adhering to the injured area to stop bleeding and help it heal. On one hand that's a great thing, but on the other hand, it can make repeated abdominal surgeries difficult. The adhesions can be difficult to dissect through and around when trying to access different organs. In severe cases of multiple surgeries and depending on how reactive your body is, all of your internal organs can end up becoming stuck to one another.

I had my gallbladder removed two years after my VSG and I asked the surgeon what my stomach incision looked like. He said he really couldn't see it because of the scar tissue covering it which is very typical. And of course a little more scar tissue and adhesions were left behind after the gallbladder surgery. But I have never felt anything, including pulling or pain.
    Thank you all for the info i feel better. Now I can release it from my mind
    All I can offer is what they taught us in classes...it takes the typical person 6 months to completely scar over, in and out, the staple line which is why we have various food restrictions until then (in my center). For example, seeds and nuts can get stuck in the staple line pre scar so we are not allowed those til 6 months.