Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirl

Head Hunger???

Rate this Entry
Well, I am 5 days out from gastric sleeve surgery, and while the first couple of days seemed like they would never end, I survived. I sipped on water every 30 minutes, took sips of Premier Protein with meds, and I was able to sip on the rest of container by the end of the first day.

I mix 2 scoops of extra protein on the Premier shake and divide it into three servings and sip on those at set meal times. I also sip on miso and bone marrow broth in the evening; my mug holds just a little less than two cups. Sipping on water, not sure how much but I am going pee a lot. I do not feel hydrated at all.

I have been walking around the building and have gone to our apartments gym twice. Stayed on the treadmill 25 min on 3.5 speed on an incline.

Yesterday, I had a friend visit me, and was I hoping our visit would not involve food, but I ended up making her tuna salad, and that was torturous! I wanted to have the tuna so bad! I made a scrumptious broccoli cheese soup instead except my tummy rejected it after a couple of tablespoons. My stomach started cramping, so I stopped. I froze the rest of the soup, and I hope I will get to enjoy it in a month, maybe.

When I cleaned up the dishes, a little bit of tuna got on my finger, and I automatically put it in my mouth. It was really creamy, so it didn't hurt. Then I was putting away the steamed broccoli, and it just looked so delicious, I automatically put in my mouth, chewed a few times and spat it out!

I have been obsessed with eating since yesterday.

I am disgusted that others have no desire for food or to eat while I am the opposite.

I know two things may have triggered my head hunger, there was a personal family issue that made me very upset, and there was the socializing with food.

I don't want to fall into old habits and thank goodness that I have the sleeve to help me stop me in my tracks.

I am counting my blessings, and my ability to stay present and accountable to myself.

I came across a serious of articles on http://www.obesityaction.org and found this particular article very helpful: http://www.obesityaction.org/educati...ating-patterns

Also found this: http://www.mccn.edu/library/patiente...WeightLoss.pdf

Submit "Head Hunger???" to Digg Submit "Head Hunger???" to del.icio.us Submit "Head Hunger???" to StumbleUpon Submit "Head Hunger???" to Google

Comments

Hang in there shirl...head hunger is no joke -sleve or deliberate eating...i worry about auto bites and licks too amd preparing foods for others
    . Not in a good place myself since yesterday with doubts very strong in the force. *sigh*

How long are u on liquids in ur plan?
    Your doing great Shirl. Hang in there. Head hunger is what scares me the most. I can only hope and pray I'm one of those who doesn't want food but I doubt it. Head hunger is a real thing for me even now before being sleeved. I cant even imagine how much harder it will be after. I also wonder how long your plan has you on liquids?
    I'm fighting myself to stay away from the damn donuts in the break room! grrr And for some reason, I'm seeing Potato Chips EVERYWHERE!!!!
    Hang in there! The first two weeks were the worst for me. Everything smells and looks so good. Even stuff I wouldn't have thought of before now taunts me. I have been able to start adding a bite of tasty food here and there ( egg salad, apple sauce etc) It's been a mental life savior.
    I am also 5 days post op. I feel the same way. I found that instead of just using the chicken broth it is more satisfying to drain a can of progresso soup and drink that. It help. I still am craving but just not as bad
    I spoke too soon about not being hungry. It hit me big time yesterday and has not let up yet. I still have one more week on the liquid diet, my weight hasn't changed since I left the hospital. I know I made the right choice for myself but right now, it sure does not feel like it. At least we all know how each other feels, though.
    Thank you for the info! Best of luck in ur journey!!
    Yes it is head hunger! Just keep strong...It is very difficult to deal with, but as my therapist asks me to divert my thoughts to what I REALLY am feeling...think past the food. Shirl, I can tell you that I was SO excited to go to Chipolte (I was dreaming at night about eating there) and I got a BOGO in the mail even! So I finally went there and well...blah..nothing like I imagined it would be..also, I will be very frank here and let you know..that I went so far as to go to mcdonalds drive thru..order a fish fillet sandwich..go home....take huge bites chew it all and spit it out. I did this with the entire sandwich. It felt great to chew as before and I was also happy that I did not swallow the food! It satisfied my need to "eat" if that makes any sense? I am so ashamed to even tell you guys this but I am hoping it will help someone know they are not alone and this is not easy!It was truly emotionally satisying
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtumnus
    Yes it is head hunger! Just keep strong...It is very difficult to deal with, but as my therapist asks me to divert my thoughts to what I REALLY am feeling...think past the food. Shirl, I can tell you that I was SO excited to go to Chipolte (I was dreaming at night about eating there) and I got a BOGO in the mail even! So I finally went there and well...blah..nothing like I imagined it would be..also, I will be very frank here and let you know..that I went so far as to go to mcdonalds drive thru..order a fish fillet sandwich..go home....take huge bites chew it all and spit it out. I did this with the entire sandwich. It felt great to chew as before and I was also happy that I did not swallow the food! It satisfied my need to "eat" if that makes any sense? I am so ashamed to even tell you guys this but I am hoping it will help someone know they are not alone and this is not easy!
    isn't that what actors and actresses do when filming eating scenes? otherwise, they'd end up eating a ton! The uncle in Napolean Dynamite is a vegetarian in real life and had to eat steak in the movie...he'd chew it then spit it out between takes....
    HAHAHA PAM! I never thought of it that way!
    Revisiting these thoughts and reading your messages, it is just what I needed right now! Much love to all y'alls!