Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

thicknsweet

Easy to be Hard

Rate this Entry
I love that song from Hair!

I made a lovely tomato and roasted red peppers soup today with bone broth. Blended and seasoned it and it was perfection. Added a TBS of Genepro flavorless protein powder and sipped on it for a few hours.

What I'm realizing is that my stomach can very comfortably hold half a cup. I can push it to slightly beyond, but I find it's a chore and I don't want to get in the habit of eating more than half a cup just 8 days out. This is where managing head hunger comes in.

I have been hungry all my life. And all of my life, I have eaten too fast. I have to really slow down now and also realize when I'm full and walk away BEFORE MY SLEEVE TELLS ME TO. I'm noticing the new triggers my sleeve is giving me to stop eating. Believe it or not, they're more subtle than you would think, so far (on a full liquids diet). Now the rubber is meeting the road.

I don't have any issues getting my protein in. This flavorless Gene Pro powder makes it waaaaay too easy. But I'm finding that I would rather eat than drink. For instance, I took a two hour nap today but so far, I have consumed 50 g of protein and 40 oz of liquid by 4 p.m. I need to concentrate on liquid big time for the next few hours if I want to meet my goals. Yesterday, I added the powder to bone broth and that was killing two birds with one stone.

Started melt away and liquid vitamins today. No issues with that, either.

I really need to measure myself cuz I don't feel like I lost a pound. Still won't weigh myself. Clothes fit the same and it's the same ol face in the mirror. I'm not discouraged, just very pessimistic that this is going to work. When it comes to food, I'm kinda like Nurse Jackie: (I haven't binged the last season yet, so don't ruin it for me!) I always get what I want when it comes to food somehow someway and now the sleeve is supposed to be the thing that finally puts the breaks on the portions. I really hope it works.

I realize now that it's not going to be all the sleeve. It is going to have to be up to me to use the sleeve as a tool just like all ya'll been saying all over these boards. If you've been enthusiastically reading about people who've lost their hunger (grelin) after the sleeve, and you hope this might be you, DON"T COUNT ON IT. It's a slim, lucky minority.

This shit is work.

Submit "Easy to be Hard" to Digg Submit "Easy to be Hard" to del.icio.us Submit "Easy to be Hard" to StumbleUpon Submit "Easy to be Hard" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hunger can be mistaken for acid reflux at the beginning. It took me a while to know which signal was hunger. Actually right now I'm trying to stop my PPI, was ok for three days then I had to take a H2 (ranitidine) because antiacid tablets didn't work. I do feel hunger sometimes when the acid is coming back, and almost nothing when I take a treatment. But my surgeon (who had several thousand surgeries under his belt) said that hunger will come back and the grelin story (going away for ever) would be a myth...I really don't know what to think because so far I'm just enjoying the restriction, staying at 1/2 cup or under per sitting and hoping for the best!

We all have doubts sometimes, are we going to lose the weight? why are we not losing more today? it's because we had weight issues forever and it's hard to cope with the idea of being successful even with the sleeve! but so far I'm back at home, saw people who didn't see me since November and they couldn't believe their eyes! I don't really feel that different, and only lost two sizes, but looking at my friends and family being so happy for me did comfort me that I made the right choice! which is great because right now, it's stall time
    Sandra that's fantastic! Congrats on your two sizes. You know, I generally need to lose 25-30 lbs to truly go down a size so that is an accomplishment!

I'm pretty sure I don't have acid reflux. In my life, I've almost never had acid reflux. I think I'm just adjusting and fighting head hunger.
    Head hunger is definitely a thing!! I am about 4 weeks out and I get "hungry".. but a few sips of a think protein drink or a couple small bites of anything and a am realllyyy full. Its great and sucks at the same time. I have lost 26 lbs in 4 weeks, and just went down a scrub size at work... still wear most of my home clothes, but they fit much better! I have always had terrible acid reflux, but it is better after the surgery. Only have to take a pill once every few days or once a week, before if I was a couple hours past due, I was dying!! I am getting my liquids pretty well, but finding it difficult to reach the protein goal... Ita a job!
    "If you've been enthusiastically reading about people who've lost their hunger (grelin) after the sleeve, and you hope this might be you, DON"T COUNT ON IT. It's a slim, lucky minority. "

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Say it isn't soooo....I AM counting on it. big big frownie face.

I have to lose a good 25 lbs before I can go down a size as well. I lost 60 #s once, I only went down from a 22 to a 'snug' 18
    Quote Originally Posted by thicknsweet
    Sandra that's fantastic! Congrats on your two sizes. You know, I generally need to lose 25-30 lbs to truly go down a size so that is an accomplishment!
    Thanks Thicknsweet! I lost 57 lbs for those two sizes (including pre-op diet) I had surgery on January 20, my doc told me two weeks ago during my 3rd month post-op that I was in the average for the weight loss...I know it's weird but I don't really see a difference, may be after the Summer it will be more obvious for me. I do feel lighter and walk faster too but that's it so far..it's great but I feel the same...heavy.

Regarding the acid problem, I had a really light reflux before surgery, but never took medication for it or may be twice a year a few antiacid tablets if I was drinking too much tea or eating too much spice.
    When I was in my soft food stage I could really feel the heat...acid really started to burn at that stage. My doc gives a PPI prescription to all his patients. May be at some point you could try some antiacid tablets just to see if that makes a difference? for me it was night and day..take care!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    "If you've been enthusiastically reading about people who've lost their hunger (grelin) after the sleeve, and you hope this might be you, DON"T COUNT ON IT. It's a slim, lucky minority. "

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Say it isn't soooo....I AM counting on it. big big frownie face.

I have to lose a good 25 lbs before I can go down a size as well. I lost 60 #s once, I only went down from a 22 to a 'snug' 18
    Yeah, the no hunger thing is not something you should rely on. I look at it as kind of a marketing ploy. Sure, many people struggle to eat the first few months after surgery and everything looks like it's gonna be a breeze. And there are even a few people that permanently lose their appetite and have to force themselves to eat even years out. But the majority, by far, have their appetites return back to normal and maintenance involves a lifetime struggle with both physical and mental hunger. That's what makes this not the "easy way" out.