Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirl

Anyone changed their surgeon in middle of preop???

Rate this Entry
I was wondering if anyone changed their surgeon in the middle of preop jumps and hoops.

I have called and sent several emails to my surgeon's office about updates, and it's been a week and I have not had any responses from anyone. I had my initial bariatric surgeon appointment about a week before Thanksgiving, he said his office in my city would call me to set appointments to move forward. I had the psych eval the following week. But December came and I had not heard from diatician or anything. I called my local clinic to find out what had happened, and they did not know anything, but set me up for an appt to discuss process. They also set me up for an endoscopy which I had Dec 15th.

From there it was another three weeks before I heard anything, but it was because I had left several messages.

I am feeling a bit discouraged that this place might not be what I thought it was, even thought I liked the surgeon and he answered all my questions initially.

There is also the issue that he is not on my network, and I was willing to pay the difference (again because I liked him and what I had read about him).

But the hospital my primary care physician referred me to, which I basically ignored the referral and found my own, is a hospital of bariatric excellence. I did attend their requiered bariatric seminar, but as mentioned I went with someone out of the network.

So I contacted my surgeon's office today, I also sent an email to my surgeon's to request my medical records be sent to the new surgeon.

I think when we are in this stage of our journey so many doubts and concerns come up, but when the surgery has been delayed because lack of customer care and concern, we have to be our best advocates.

Another thing that concerns me is that my very good insurance is through my university, and I am graduating in May, and this coverege is coming to an end soon in August. I want to be able to at least have a couple of months of followup care just in case.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be deeply appreciated.

Submit "Anyone changed their surgeon in middle of preop???" to Digg Submit "Anyone changed their surgeon in middle of preop???" to del.icio.us Submit "Anyone changed their surgeon in middle of preop???" to StumbleUpon Submit "Anyone changed their surgeon in middle of preop???" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I am on my third team. You have to start over each time.
    Go with the center if excellence...even if it means commute. (Just my opinion)
    Hi ..and no you don't have to start over at least not in my case! I was going to have it stateside and pay cash with one surgeon and found another surgeon in the area that offered a better price..they simply transferred all the info over to the new surgeon. I also found that Mexico was even cheaper, so I decided to go to Mexico. I had a great experience and saved a ton of money.
    Oh thanks so much to you both! I kept thinking I'm being impatient, but from the get go those folks weren't responsive. It's too bad because I felt comfortable with the surgeon. If all had moved from November I would have probably been sleeved by now.

I really hope I don't have to start over, why did you @Muted_Tummy?

@MrTumnus, how long did it take for medical records to be transferred each time?
    I did contact several surgeons in different countries before deciding where I wanted to do the surgery. I had several criteria s, from the number of surgery done by the surgeon (over 2000 is a plus), an ICU in the hospital..but the team had to be responsive. I can contact my team for anything, I know they will get back to me under two hours during working hours. That's really important! good luck! I hope you will find what you need!
    Thank you, Sandra3. This doctor has been doing bariatric surgeries for over 16 years, and is connected with Cedar Sinai one of the best hospitals here in L.A., but he also has his own bariatric surgical center which is less than a mile from where I live.

Well I missed three calls from them this morning, I called them back and the office manager was wondering why I had changed my mind, besides them being out of my network, I also wish they had been that responsive from the get go.

I am definitely still unsure, the office manager tried to convince me that they are an excellent center, she said that even though they are not contracted by my insurance their center does not charge any of their patients any out pocket costs, they also have an on-call nurse for me in the event I need anything. And in terms of my insurance lapsing she said that all follow-up visits are free and that in the event an ultrasound, x-ray or CT scan is required they would work out a reasonable fee and payment plan.

Even though I had my 90-day pre-op visit last week, I still have to wait for the heart ultrasound which is next week. I was supposed to have it in March but their technician cancelled.

Basically, I am back to figuring out if I should stay or go.

UGH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Oh thanks so much to you both! I kept thinking I'm being impatient, but from the get go those folks weren't responsive. It's too bad because I felt comfortable with the surgeon. If all had moved from November I would have probably been sleeved by now.

I really hope I don't have to start over, why did you @Muted_Tummy?

@MrTumnus, how long did it take for medical records to be transferred each time?
    I had to because diff WLC require different pre op tests and within a certain time frame. The third change was a do over because diff insurance. I transferred all my medical each time (pretty quick process). For #1 to #2, they did keep some. From #2 to #3, nothing. Each center has their own "game board", too, and unless you are self pay, it seems the time frame is the same. I got semi fast tracked with #3 with no weight loss goal to meet and no extra nutrition or psych mtgs... waived because I "came in ready". I do have to go to rhree, weekly behavior management me ey ings that start next week.
    My brother changed his surgeon during pre-op. Actually, it was just a couple of days before the scheduled surgery. The first surgeon's office wasn't a center of excellence and was out of network. They said that they were approved by the insurance company but it turns out that they submitted the paperwork late and didn't have the approval. They weren't responsive to calls as he tried to figure out if the surgery they scheduled was on or off and the status with the insurance company. He found another surgeon able to do the surgery in the same week.

The new surgeon was in network and at a center of excellence. The office staff of the new surgeon was incredibly responsive. They took all of the tests and paperwork from the original surgeon but required two additional tests and an updated referral from his primary care physician. They helped schedule the tests within 24 hours and the surgery proceeded. I can tell you that it was quite a relief to my brother to work with a surgical team and office staff that was so responsive. Also, when he met with the new surgeon, he said he immediately felt comfortable.

The transfer of records took no time because he went to the old surgeon's office with the request, picked up everything and took it to the new surgeon's office the same day. For the new tests he had to take, he asked that they rush the test results to the new surgeon and they did.

I had surgery two weeks before my brother in Mexico. It was really frustrating to see all that he went through compared to my very easy experience going to Mexico. But, in the end, I do think that his switch to a new surgeon was the best decision for him. Deciding to have this life-altering surgery is hard enough. You need the surgery team and their staff to be responsive pre-op and post-op.
    Thank you, Tobysgirl!

The new surgeon's office first available appt is May 6 which I took. I have about two weeks to get my paperwork transferred, the new office would like to have everything so they do not duplicate and get me approved through them asap.
    It sounds to me that you're going with your gut feeling--also it makes sense that you're going with a center of excellence, your primary care doc referred you and they are in your insurance network It also stands to reason that you should feel cared for, that includes return phone calls and updates.
    Yes, twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muted_Tummy
    Yes, twice.
    oops I already replied LOL
    So update...

I am staying with the surgeon, they apologized profoundly for any miscommunication, and for not replying promptly. I am now dealing directly with the surgical team since my insurance has been approved, and I will not have any out pocket cost. The surgeon has over fifteen years of bariatric and cosmetic surgery, and has received numerous recognitions.

My student health insurance expires August, so there is no warranty that the other surgeon will be able to schedule me for surgery before then.

I am ok with staying with the original plan. I trust that my life is in good hands.
    Shirl good luck on your journey.You have been so pleasant and upbeat. Im having surgery June 9th in Mexico. I am a nurse and have been on my feet for years,I have been plagued for 3 years by chronic knee pain,and ankle issues which I'm sure were created by my weight. Today I came home from work in tears due to the foot pain.I haven't shared my WLS journey with anyone but my husband. My BMI is 35 so people don't really get it.This for me isn't vanity. It's a quality of life issue. My orto DR is pressuring me to cast my foot for 8 weeks, I don't know how to share with him that I need to be mobile post op WLS. If I hadn't already bought my tickets I'd deal with my ankle and then proceed with WLS. I can't afford to lose all that money for tickets.Any suggestions...ambulating po will be touch either way!