Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

foreversmiling21

Vitamins....after surgery

Rate this Entry
I must say that looking for the vitamins to take after surgery was pretty in depth and was driving me a little crazy. I looked all over this site and the internet trying to find out exactly what needs to be taken after surgery. There were so many different post with many different responses of what each person took and some were like 10 pills a day. I was like no way!!! I am not a pill taker and this was one thing I was worried about. I did not want to take lots of pills everyday but was going to have to until I found this bariatric once a day chew-able multivitamin on procarenow.com. It has it all except for the calcium citrate that must be taken separately. I was so excited to come across this and on top of that it is very affordable. It is a 30 day supply and I received a 2 month supply over the weekend and I tried one to see if I was going to be able to take it. It was not too bad. It tasted like one of those bottlecaps we used to eat as kids. I have attached a pic..i think..lol. I also am going to get some extra B-12 sublingual tablets as I heard we need extra of this.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vitamin.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	25672  

Submit "Vitamins....after surgery" to Digg Submit "Vitamins....after surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "Vitamins....after surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "Vitamins....after surgery" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi I had gastric sleeve on April 5th. My instructions are 1 chewable Caltrate 3x a day morning, noon and couple of hours before bed. (had to order online)
    Also 2 chewable Flintstones Complete multivitamins 1 midday 1 mid afternoon.
    I USE MULTI VIT CHEWABLES, HAVE FOR 4 YEARS AND BLOOD WORK IS ALWAYS AOK. CALTRATE D 1 PER DAY. FOR BONES.
    Don't you have a nutritionist? I was given a big list of what was recommended, different brands, etc. If your surgeon/nutritionist isn't telling you this stuff, you need to find a new surgeon.

Now, almost three years after surgery I take a multi-vitamin, calcium citrate, and vitamin D. But those 6 months after surgery I did the bariatric ones recommended, and all chewable because I couldn't swallow the big ones I take now.
    You should check with your surgeon and nut because 45 mg for iron is really high and is probably fine for people with a bypass (because of the malabsorbtion), but as a sleever you don't need that much. Too much iron can be toxic, just be careful and check with your team. Take care.
    Instructions vary. The reason so many pills is some vitamins bind wth others and then your body can't use the. They target the vitamins that research post op shows folks can tend to be deficient in (and long term deficiency causes all sorts of problems).

Across centers, I have seen this pattern...
    2 multi vitamins a day (check label not all are equal and we need more thiamin, folic acid, iron and zinc)
    B12
    Calcium citrate with D

Do some googling of research kn vitamin deficiency after wls...this will show you what we lack and point to what we need. Review it with ur doc.
    I am having my surgery in Mexico so I have no nutritionist and will not see surgeon till the surgery. I received a little bit of info from them but mostly learning on my own. I asked for a vitamin list and they said that will be given to me after my surgery. I wanted to have everything i needed at home so i did not have to go out and get them when i returned home and not knowing how i was going to feel. I know a couple ladies who went to Mexico and they are doing great but i know they are doing gummies for their vitamins but all the research I have done said they are not good as far as absorption.
    May be you could check with your coordinator? someone should be able to give you more infos...my nut told me we need more vitamins than the usual 100% but for iron, since I was taking a prenatal multi with 30mg of iron, she made me stop it because of the toxicity risk. She said no more than 18 mg. And I often have anemia! ...Or course, I have my blood work done in a few days so I will be able to know soon how I'm doing this month...my surgeon also approved gummies when I couldn't take the liquid multi at two weeks...my last blood test was fine. At the end, that's what's the most important: the blood test results...also, don't stock up on vitamins or protein powder, your taste could change post-op...it did for me, I gave away lot's of vitamins and powder!
    The gummies don't include minerals, but they sure are yummy....!
    I had my surgery in Mexico, and the center I went with had a nutritionist - one which I check in with regularly (still!). The recommendations I got were as follows: B12 (sublinguals), calcium (citrate) + D3 (for absorption of calcium), probiotics, iron (18mgs/day) (to be taken separately from all other supplements by 2 hours), enzymes, and a multivitamin which provides about 200% RDA of everything. After researching in preparation for surgery, I also added biotin.

So, the idea is, you take all these daily - and get blood tests every 3 months or so to see how your nutrient levels are. Initially, when you are eating so little, and very protein focused foods - you will likely need all of those. As you go along though, you can eat more and a wider variety of foods, and you may need to rely on supplements less. Your blood tests will show your levels, and you can tailor your supplement needs based on those results.

For example, I just got my 3 month lab work back - turns out my Vitamin D is low, despite the fact that I'm taking the calcium+D3, AND my daily multivitamin has Vitamin D @ 250% RDA!
    And, since quite a bit of my current diet supplies a lot of calcium, my nutritionist advised me to cut my calcium supplement by a third. So, I'll do that for the next 3 months, and get tested again - and see where I'm at!
    I have been using Journey BariatricMulti 3+3, 3 chewable at one time and 3 another time during day. Total 6 all vitamins needed.
    Vitamin supplementation is extremely varied between individuals. Only regular followup bloodwork will tell you what you need/don't need. For example, I started with the usual multi +B12 sublingual, Vitamin D, iron and calcium. But followup labs showed my iron was high so I stopped that supplement. But even without supplementation it continues to be high (I eat a lot of red meat and dark leafy greens) so I switched my multi to a women's senior that contains no iron at all. And my B12 and Vitamin D continues to be perfect with only taking them 3x week.

So start out with the basics and customize as needed based on your labs. It is not a one size fits all. Bloodwork is not a good indication of calcium levels, so if you really want to keep tabs on that you'll need to get a dexscan.