Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

foreversmiling21

Reconsidering surgery

Rate this Entry
I was talking to my kids last night about my decision to have surgery. I told them I was heading to Mexico. They all were a little concerned going to Mexico for a medical procedure and I assured them it was ok. They asked what they were going to do and I was trying to explain so I googled gastric sleeve procedures and we watched a few videos together so they could see what was going to happen during the procedure. They were a little grossed out but I was happy that they got to see what was going to happen. After that I came across a whole bunch of utube videos, most of them were before and after videos and I watched a bunch of them to see how great they all looked and the transformations. I was awed by most of them. Then I came across one's that people regretted doing the surgery and what people don't tell you after the surgery and all this crazy stuff and why they wish they could go back and undo what they have done. I went to bed and laid there thinking if i should go through with this or not. You see all the transformation and how great everyone looks but you don't hear the struggles, vomiting, can't eat,, dehydration, vitamin deficiencies, skin issues, etc. Im sure the list goes on and on. I start thinking of all that and I think is having fat on my body worth going thru all that? To all the sleevers out there...is this all worth it?

Submit "Reconsidering surgery" to Digg Submit "Reconsidering surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "Reconsidering surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "Reconsidering surgery" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It is NOT a walk at the park for sure!! It is an awesome tool but unfortunately not for everyone. If those negative videos discouraged you, I suggest you do some more thinking!!
    Pros are larger than cons but it is up to you!!

Good luck!!
    I just had the surgery 2 weeks ago. I watched a lot of videos too. Praise God I have never been sick. I watched one video that said you will always have bad breath. NOT if you stay hydrated!! I've never had bad breath! They tell you exactly what to do. If you don't follow the instructions you WILL have problems!!
    No one can make the decision to have the surgery but you. I did alot of research, asked alot of questions to my doctor and here to finally come to the decision to have surgery. Yes there are some people who have complications but there are more who do not. The surgery is much more advanced than when it first was performed. From what Ive read the doctors in mexico are doing this almost constantly and has become second nature to them. I havent had my sleeve yet and am still waiting on a surgery date but I think everyone has doubts before and after its done. Dont let your fears keep you from doing whats best for you. I will keep you in my prayers, good luck.
    Thanks for the feed back ladies. I have done tons of research also, just the first time coming across the negative and it kind of freaked me out a little. I know many who have done the surgery and I contacted a friend today who gave me many answers and she said she would do it again in a heartbeat so made me feel much better again. I think the information overload, traveling to another country alone, and feeling a little overwhelmed got the best of me for a minute. I think it's the unknown , and the major lifestyle change that scares me a little. I will keep thinking positive thoughts and telling myself I'm worth it.
    We all have different experiences. I did have a few small side effects (vomiting three days after surgery, then nauseous a lot) but I still think it's worth it. The side effects will go away, and I'm lucky I got help to lose that weight. I'm three month post op, cant' wait to be at one year to be even lighter and healthier! take care.
    Most people don't have those problems. I've never vomited from eating, and it's been almost 3 years. I did exactly what my surgeon said, so I had no vitamin deficiency or dehydration issues. (Still take my vitamins, still get in my required liquid and protein.) Follow the rules, and you should be good. My experience was a breeze, no problems at all. But I know everyone wasn't as lucky as me, some people do have bad experiences. For me it was worth it to risk it all to be a regular-sized person. Priceless.
    Hell yes it's worth it! ! Would do it again no questions asked. Was sleeved Dec 8 have lost 70 pounds and totally worth it.
    Just like any tool, whether it's a gastric sleeve, car or blow torch, if you don't follow the instructions then you'll have problems. I had mine a little over two weeks ago and no problems yet. I'm sure there will be bumps in the road, but I compare it to where my previous lifestyle was leading me and it wasn't pleasant thoughts. Diabetes, heart disease, stroke, heart surgery, death. This tool is enabling me to have a better quality of life going forward.
    It's not easy but it is sooooo worth it. Just do it! I wish I had done it sooner I am almost 3 years out and this is one decision I have not regretted for one second 85 pounds...GONE!
    I'm not saying no one ever has complications. But I certainly didn't.

I'm 20 months post-op and have never thrown up once. Never even been nauseated. Never been depressed. Never regretted it.

Recovered easy. Was hitting 60 grams of protein on Day 5 post-op.

Lost 100 pounds. Have maintained my weight loss goal (or below it) for the last year. Have canceled my knee replacement surgery plans. Feel and look 20 years younger.

And did I mention I had VSG surgery when I was 68 years old? I'm now 70 years old. For the first time in my life I don't have a "weight problem."

P.S. Here's how I did it: http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=59053
    Wow Ann that is fantastic. Thanks for all the advice...I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Have 4 weeks to go to prepare.
    I'm 3 weeks & 4 days post-op sleeve in Mexico. I felt the same way and my friend's and family had the same issues. YOU need to do YOU!! I'm a wife and a mother and an RN. I take care of everybody else but myself. This one time, this was ALL FOR ME right now! And, all for everybody else later down the road! I say that because if I didn't get this done, I wasn't going to be around later down the road, or I was going to be a big ol burden on everbody.
    Blood sugars were uncontrolled at 400-500 fasting. (yea, I know right). This am it was 126!!!! It flucuates daily of course but, have never been over 180 fasting since surgery. Blood pressure getting much better with every pound lost.
    No complications at all. I don't regret it for 1 second!!! I just wish I would have went to Mexico and had it done years ago!!!!
    FYI...your going to feel like reconsidering surgery, and questioning yourself every step of the way until it actually happens. Trust yourself!!! You will be so glad your did.
    Don't take the stories of complications lightly. Even if it only happens to a few, you could be one of those few. I've learned this the hard way.
    I had my surgery November 4th of 2014 in Louisiana. I started having complications almost two months later, and ended up in the ICU on New Year's Day of 2015 with sepsis. I stayed sick for a very long time not being able to keep anything down. For the first year I spent four separate weeks in the hospital for because I never could keep food down. My starting weight was 113 or 114 and I'm down to 105. At 5'4" this puts me underweight. Thankfully, after the first year I've not really had much trouble keeping food down and eat ALL THE TIME. Still can't get my weight up, but I've stabilized. BUT...

I thought big deal. So I had problems. I still championed the surgery. I allowed my 19 year old daughter to have it done in November 2015. I have never regretted anything more in my life. My daughter did well for a month. Then it went to hell. Same as me, she couldn't keep anything down. Only her reaction was worse, so much worse than mine. My daughter's brain started bleeding. She had strokes. She went blind in January 31st (her 20th birthday). She had seizures and became unresponsive. She was put on life support where she remained for a month. Her entire brain swelled. She was in ICU for over a month and the hospital for over two months. She eventually regained most of her sight and came off of the ventilator but had a tracheostomy and feeding tube. Her teach was taken out after two months. Thank God! She will remain on the feeding tube. She cannot walk. I now am my daughter's full time caregiver all because I allowed her to have a surgery to lose weight. A surgery that wasn't critical for her to have. I will NEVER recommend this surgery to anyone ever again. The small percentage of people that have complications don't affect you until you become one of them.
    soooo sorry you and your daughter have suffered. I think about her and pray for her and your recovery. this is a serious surgery and thanks for telling your story because others need to know there are serious complications like any other surgery.