Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Davis165

Fainting anyone??

Rate this Entry
My surgery, recovery and in general, life post-op, has been good. Until recently. I fainted at work about a week ago. I had been feeling a bit odd at work and needed to sit down or I knew that I may fall down. I knew something just wasn't right. That happened earlier in that week. Later in that same week I experienced the same sensations, yet didn't have the opportunity to sit and rest/regroup. All I remember is saying that I needed to sit down and then waking up on the floor! I was so confused, I've never fainted so the entire experience was just surreal. As I came to , on the dirty hospital floor!, I actually thought that I was at home dreaming.
I initially thought that I fainted because I wasn't taking in enough calories, I'm currently eating between 750-1000, and getting in not less than 70 grams of protein, though I generally stay on the lower end of those numbers. Honestly, I'm probably not getting in the amount of water that I should be drinking, I get between 50-64oz daily. It's been difficult to get in all of my protein/food before I go off to work. Working at night poses a few hindrances in getting in all of the food that I need to eat. I am bringing a snack to eat and a protein shake, too. I'm thinking that the fainting spell was caused by dehydration? Has anyone else experienced this?

By the way, I have had the same sensations, (it's very difficult to put into words what the whole thing feels like), recently while walking around a store with my daughter. I had to go and sit down and gather myself... I did go to my doctor's office, the day that I fainted, and had a blood work up done which came back within normal ranges. I do have an appointment with the bariatric doctors and nutritionist a week from Tuesday.

Submit "Fainting anyone??" to Digg Submit "Fainting anyone??" to del.icio.us Submit "Fainting anyone??" to StumbleUpon Submit "Fainting anyone??" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I haven't fainted but come close to. My blood pressure gets very low ,having a hard time keeping my blood pressure up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful
    I haven't fainted but come close to. My blood pressure gets very low ,having a hard time keeping my blood pressure up.

I'm so sorry! Have you been to the doctor's? What have they told you about feeling faint and having low blood pressure?
    I have fainted many times over the past few months. I am a little over 1 year post op. So far, the Dr's think that my blood pressure is now too low.
    When I go to stand up from laying down, I will sit up for about 30 seconds to 1 minute before standing and will stand still for about the same time frame before I start to walk.
    If I am already up when I get the feeling of getting ready to pass out, I try to sit or lay down before I fall down but this can be harder to do depending on where I am.
    My sugar and blood pressure is now on the low end of normal, but after several Dr's appointments and lots of tests at the ER, we still don't really know what's causing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl22851
    I have fainted many times over the past few months. I am a little over 1 year post op. So far, the Dr's think that my blood pressure is now too low.
    When I go to stand up from laying down, I will sit up for about 30 seconds to 1 minute before standing and will stand still for about the same time frame before I start to walk.
    If I am already up when I get the feeling of getting ready to pass out, I try to sit or lay down before I fall down but this can be harder to do depending on where I am.
    My sugar and blood pressure is now on the low end of normal, but after several Dr's appointments and lots of tests at the ER, we still don't really know what's causing it.
    Oh, my! My job requires that I be able to move quickly. I'm hoping that it'll be something simpler. How is this new situation working with your job? I hope that your health issue will soon stabilize. This surgery and resulting weight loss is still, very much, a Godsend, even with this issue.
    Sounds like BP or low sugar...until you have answers, keep orange juice with you. If u get that feeling again, drink some orange juice.
    I have had a few weird feelings while walking. Sort of like I was trying to walk through water snd just couldn't' go on. My NUT recommended a protein/carb snack before exercising. It has helped.

My doctor even had me prick my finger before and after walking to test my blood sugar (I'm not diabetic) but it was easy to see how much my blood sugar changed depending on what I ate. If I ate something junky, my blood sugar dropped drastically while exercising.

I like the previous poster's idea about OJ, worth a try!
    That happened to me too back in December on my first day at my new job! I started losing my eyesight, my hearing went way down and I lost my sense of balance before falling down. I was SO embarrassed! That hasn't happened to me since, because I started adding more carbs to my daily intake.
    It still isn't much, but I make sure to eat something full of carbs once a day - for dinner usually. Like last night I made blackened chicken, green beans, and some well seasoned brown rice that I takes 50 mins to a hour to cook, but is so worth the wait I only had a forkful, but normally I would eat 2 or 3 forkfuls. I just wasn't hungry last night.
    During my weight-losing phases, I never fainted. But I certainly had some periods when I was dizzy. It even happened pre-op when I was following a 1400 calorie/day diet. Dieting and losing weight tends to make us light-headed at times.

Any chance you're already on blood pressure medicine? If so, you should seek a consultation with your PCP / surgeon about changing (lowering) your BP med. Losing weight rapidly, eating less, being dehydrated (and all of that together) will absolutely lower your blood pressure without the aid of any BP meds. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis165
    Oh, my! My job requires that I be able to move quickly. I'm hoping that it'll be something simpler. How is this new situation working with your job? I hope that your health issue will soon stabilize. This surgery and resulting weight loss is still, very much, a Godsend, even with this issue.

I am completely off all heart and blood pressure medicine and have been since the first time I fainted. My job is in a financial institution where I have been pretty open with my coworkers and staff about my health so they have all been very supportive and can get pretty protective of me if something is "off". As a matter of fact, one of my coworkers is now going thru the process to be able to have the surgery as well!
    I haven't fainted for a while, however I almost did last night but I am getting sick so I think that contributed and I simply got up too fast. For me, it's not immediately when I get up that I faint, it's after I've been up- say to use the restroom. It usually happens as I am getting back to my bedroom to go back to bed. Weird, I know
    I get dizzy spells and I have fainted in the past (pre-op) I have low BP
    If you get that feeling again see if you can get someone to take your BP for you......you said you woke up on the hospital floor so I'm assuming you work in a hospital?
    hmm.. guess that is a concern... I have low BP to begin with.... I will ask my Dr about that....
    I just read a post by someone else that said they were fainting because their sodium levels were too low. You should have a blood test and check. Sodium is an essential necessity to our bodies. It could be an easy fix. Good luck.
    Well I know what my problem is that I don't smoke anymore I don't drink coffee ,I don't eat or drink very much with this hiatal hernia it's very hard cause I'm nauseous all the time.
    Many have asked , "Any chance you're already on blood pressure medicine?"

I have not, in the past had high or low blood pressure. No medications for anything. This is a completely new experience. I'm finding that if I eat more carbs that I do a bit better. I had already increased my carb intake, so I guess that I needed more...that and water, of course.
    Thank you to all that responded with advise and concern!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydensmomma
    I get dizzy spells and I have fainted in the past (pre-op) I have low BP
    If you get that feeling again see if you can get someone to take your BP for you......you said you woke up on the hospital floor so I'm assuming you work in a hospital?
    I do work in a hospital. I just went to my own doctor's office that morning. The hospital that I work at isn't the hospital group that I use for myself.
    Dehydration will cause fainting. I did have several episodes during my first month post op where I was really dizzy but I had time to seat down and rest. Walking 5 kms was almost impossible, I had to stop several times! my surgeon did confirm it was dehydration, my blood pressure was fine and I just had lab work...everything was fine but my body composition did show a lack of water!!I was told that 90% of patient will have dehydration episodes at some point...good luck and take care
    Quote Originally Posted by Romandona
    I just read a post by someone else that said they were fainting because their sodium levels were too low. You should have a blood test and check. Sodium is an essential necessity to our bodies. It could be an easy fix. Good luck.

I've had 2 doctor's tell me to increase my sodium but they made it sound like it would be more of a quick fix than something I would need to check into increasing daily. Sounds like I need another follow up and ask!
    how's your blood pressure? blood glucose? those are the first two things that come to my mind that are common to cause fainting.