Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Poji

I am so out of touch :(

Rate this Entry
I don't remember the last time that I was on here...I should have reached out
I am two years and two months out.
After I healed, and worked through some difficulties, I was on a high! I was exercising, eating well, and the weight was falling off. Before long I was not only at goal, I was under that...I was underweight - I loved it!
I haven't kept up with proper eating. I haven't kept up with exercising. I haven't be going to support groups, or coming on here. Factor all of that in, and my weight is coming back on and I feel panicked
Please - if anyone has gone through this, and has successfully battled back - please, please, please share your story.

Submit "I am so out of touch :(" to Digg Submit "I am so out of touch :(" to del.icio.us Submit "I am so out of touch :(" to StumbleUpon Submit "I am so out of touch :(" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I was sleeved recently, but my doc did mention that a weight gain has to be expected between month 18/24. It's supposed to be around 5%. If you are in that range, don't panic! if you are higher, well, it's not too late to change your food intake.
    There is a really interesting book called "A pound of cure" by Dr Weiner, he also has lot's of video on youtube. He is a bariatric surgeon but his approach of nutrition is different, mostly based on vegetables, I'm trying to follow it as much as possible.

Hopefully someone who's longer into the process will be able to give you some helpful feedback.

Good luck and take care.
    Thank you for your response! I've gained back about 10%. What's so weird is that I only want to lose 12 lbs, but I feel more desperate about losing this 12 than I did when I had about 100 lbs to lose! I will look into the book - thank you!
    I haven't gained anything back, but I haven't lost anything either which is so frustrating. Although it is completely my own fault. I need to get back at it, but I am not sure why I keep sabotaging myself.
    I totally understand. I am 2 years 6 moths out and have gained back the 10% from my lowest weight. I feel lost. I don't eat alot, and when I write the dietitian she tells me to just pay attention to my protein and everything else will fall in line. That worked for awhile....but not anymore.

I'm frustrated...but not giving up. I still want to get down to 150 somehow.
    First, great on you for reaching out here.

I have some online WLS friends who are 3-4-5 years out and are at goal -- but they've relost some weight after regaining it. I've also read posts by other WLS patients who've regained -- and not relost.

So what are some differences between these two groups? People who re-lose the weight they've gained seem to:

* Stay connected -- online, in person, with their surgeon, etc. So get back in touch. It's only going to get worse if you don't go see your surgeon.

* Tackle the regain early -- when it's only 10-20 pounds, not when it's 50-100 pounds. You think it's bad now? Ha! You really don't want to have to deal with this when it's 4-5 times that much weight you have to re-lose! If fear works for you, then let it fuel you.

* Consider (please, really, consider it) finding a therapist who can help you address with whatever's undermining your behavior. Sure, I could say, "Just do it!" But that's not a sufficient prescription for everyone. Sometimes, people have to uncover what's at the heart of their self-sabotage before they can get back on track.

* If you feel paralyzed with fear and can't grab the reins back, then take up meditation to reduce your anxiety so you can better accept where you are right now. Why that's important is that you have to accept where you are in order to move away from here.

* Get your ass in gear. Walk ten minutes today. Walk eleven minutes tomorrow. Walk twelve minutes the day after that.

* Start tracking what you eat and drink. You know what you're supposed to do -- at least 60 grams of protein (maybe jack it up later). At least 64 ounces of water. Eat healthy veggies. If you don't have any, go buy some. No slider foods. Zero. Nada. None. Get them out of the house. All of it. Throw that crap in the garbage.

* If you're not taking your supplements, get back on them immediately. And take them on time. Protip: Not taking your antacids will make you feel hunger when you're not hungry.

* Start posting here frequently. Read. Make new friends. It's true that most of your old sleeved friends here are not hanging out here often -- or maybe they're just lurking.

* Make a big old long list of all the things you like about being slim and healthy. You need to fall in love with all those goals again. Focus. Refocus. And focus again.

Good luck to you. Losing 12 pounds is so not outside your grasp. At all. Your sleeve is still there, waiting for you to use it.