Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

tina833

Must lose 20 pounds before Surgery

Rate this Entry
My surgery is scheduled for March 10th and my surgeon wants me to lose 20 pounds because of how my BMI is. I don't recall how much he said mine was but I did an online test not long ago and I am thinking it was about 59. I just redid it and it came out to 59.4. He explained how important this is due to my liver.

Is it normal for surgeries to be cancelled based on BMI? I'm doing really well on my first diet in forever and start the liquid only 2 weeks before surgery. However, I'm not doing as well as the diet calls for. 3 ounces of food is hard to do pre-surgery.

How did you guys do it? I want this surgery so bad and am starting a new job not long after surgery so it's important that I get the surgery now instead of later.

Sorry about the whining. I do believe everything is going to work out. I'm just worried and wanted to hear from the experts.

Submit "Must lose 20 pounds before Surgery" to Digg Submit "Must lose 20 pounds before Surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "Must lose 20 pounds before Surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "Must lose 20 pounds before Surgery" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

http://www.amazon.com/New-Lean-Life-...ywords=lindora

I had to lose 30lbs for surgery. I think this diet is brilliant and healthy. it is not too far off from our diets post op - focusing on protein and low glycemic index vegetables. In addition to this, i worked out a lot. I did the 21 day fix videos first and then after that was finished, i got Max30 workouts.
    I was required to lose 5% of my body weight, which was 12 pounds, on my preop diet. My surgeon flat out said he would not perform surgery if I didn't lose the weight. I was so scared of not losing enough I actually started my preop diet a couple days early. I was allowed 3 protein shakes a day and leafy green veggies. I substituted 1 of the shakes with broth and unflavored protein powder for a break from all that sweetness. Ate lots of spinach, kale and Brussels sprouts. And guess what? I ended up losing 22 pounds instead! Surgery and recovery was pain free with no complications.

It's really a matter of motivation and priorities. Your motivation to have surgery. Your motivation to have the safest surgery possible. Your motivation to lose weight (hey, it's gotta come off sooner or later, might as well be sooner). All of these things kept me on the straight and narrow. Besides, those few months just before and after surgery are a drop in the ocean compared to what lies ahead. You are going to be a WLS patient/recovering obese person forever. The preop diet is the easy part compared to a lifetime of maintenance and making good choices.
    The size and density of your liver is a crucial part of the success of the surgery. The intense diet before surgery shrinks your liver so it can be managed (physically tied out of the way) for the surgery. If the liver is too big this can't happen. If you want to be successful with the surgery follow the rules. Do everything they tell you and don't cut corners. You will do great. It's a life changer and the results makes whatever you sacrifice worth it. Good luck!!
    Thanks guys for your encouragement. I had often wondered how all of you did it before I got to this part and was concerned about it thanks to my lack of discipline. For some reason broth sounds delicious to me even though I do like the Juice Plus drinks so far.

I guess I do need to go ahead and join a support group. I was planning on it since I read that was one of the things people did who were successful.

It's great to know I can come here for help.
    My surgeon ( UK ) didnt require the pre surgery diet, but I did it anyway Jan 1st - Jan 15th and lost 15 pounds. Glad I did- it made me feel fitter and ready to face surgery.
    Yes that sounds right. I started out with a bmi of 58 and had to lose 5% of my weight before surgery. That was 17 pounds, but I lost 41. I walked and walked. If you don't lose close to the weight your surgeon wants, they'll probably reschedule your surgery later on down the road.
    I lost 20 lbs and 6 inches in 42 days with two bouts of 21 day fix, if you want more info email me at tf.sgroi@gmail.com
    I lost @57 lbs before surgery. The bulk of it was june-august. My surgery was September 22 2015. (Thank you medicaid for making me lose 15% body weight pre-op or you wont cover me ...grrr)
    All I did was replace breakfast n lunch with protein shakes. Had a third as a snack later. Dinner was simple chicken breast ,salad or ~>"non-starchy"<~ vegies
    I would snack on all the apples and those veggies as I wanted.
    ...oh and drink drink drink H2O I used large mason jars (25oz) and used crystal-light for flavor.
    Just my 2¢ good luck
    Wow, thanks everyone for your comments. I think I've been doing well but last night I had a bag of popcorn. I keep thinking of what one of you posted on here about this time we can't cheat and I want the surgery so bad, I don't want to blow it. I sure miss carbs.

I've switched to decaf coffee and am down to about 1 diet coke once a day on most days. I start my all liquid diet this Thursday, the 25th.

Since my surgery is scheduled for March 10th, I don't have a lot of time and I go see the doc on March 2nd so I'm not sure if I have to meet my goal by then or by surgery.

I weighed 357 at the doctor's visit on 02/15/16 and did not remember to weigh myself at home until 2 days later. I have a digital scale I got from Scale Down when I tried Contrave. I do not know how close it is to an actual doctor's scale, so the fact that it showed me down to 352, I took with a grain of salt. I really wished I had weighed on it the same day I went to the doctor so that I would know my exact starting point.

I just now weighed on it and am down to 350.8. So I've either lost 6.2 pounds or 1.2 pounds. Ugh. Mind you, I'm happy to be on the losing end period but I really need to get to where the doctor wants me so that I will have the surgery over with when (and hopefully if) I start my new job.

Thanks for keeping me honest. I do need people who tell me like it is but it's also nice to have people who understand. I've just got to do this without hesitation.
    I'm also in the presurgery weight loss phase and initially struggled with the smaller portion sizes. I felt hungry all the time. I've been making sure I eat my protein and substitute protein shakes for a meal or a snack. They've really helped me kick the hunger and when I'm not hungry I have less cravings. I have to lose 19lbs. I'm also looking at this phase as a vital learning process that will allow me to be successful after surgery. I'm practicing my new lifestyle and getting my mind and body ready for surgery. This six month process is required by my insurance but I'm already grateful for it so I have time to get ready.
    I did it! I lost the 20 pounds exactly! I can't believe it. I never thought I could do that.

My surgery is this Thursday. Now I'm dying for one last bag of popcorn. Ugh.