Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

Stomach flu

Rate this Entry
It started Tuesday, I was really sick most of the day, camping in the bathroom, nauseous, no vomiting but I couldn't seem to find a way to stop the diarrhea (sorry!) even with rice or apple sauce. Yesterday I was still sick, starting to feel better but I was clearly dehydrated, couldn't eat or drink anything and all smells made me nauseous.

Last night I decided to contact the nut to see if she had a suggestion.
The surgeon asked that I came as soon as possible so this morning I went back to the hospital. I was hoping not to be hocked to an IV again, because I was warned that it would happen if I was having an other episode like post-op. But My Dr said it was probably a stomach flu, no IV!!! yeah!! and he gave me a prescription for a medication to treat the nausea, and also changed my PPI into a H2 (it's like Ranitidine, but all names are in Chinese...) because I was worried about the long term risks for the PPI, plus I was reading yesterday that it could be bad for people who have IBS...because it's going to change the bacterias inside the intestine....he said that I could try without the PPI and see how I feel, sometimes one month after surgery it's possible to be OK without. So we will see.

I'm trying to drink, still difficult, but should be better tonight hopefully. I hope I will be able to stop the PPI tomorrow, and switch for H2 if needed, because really, if I could do it without medication, that would be so great!

I had a light reflux before surgery, didn't need medication, just watch my diet, except may be three times per year I would take an antiacid like Tumms after eating too spicy at the Indian place, or just drinking too much iced tea...

Many of us are battling against heartburn right now, I wonder how long it takes to stop after surgery? how long did you take a medication?

Take care!

Submit "Stomach flu" to Digg Submit "Stomach flu" to del.icio.us Submit "Stomach flu" to StumbleUpon Submit "Stomach flu" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Oh no ! So sorry to hear this Sandra I hate the PPI meds as well - hate the yucky taste. I'm sitting here with a tweak of heart burn but too lazy to get up and get a med. After reading your problems Im off to get one !

Look after yourself and hope it sorts itself out quickly
    I stopped taking my prescription Dec (surgery was in june). My Dr said sometimes it goes away once you get to a certain weight. I was using an over the counter until end of Jan. I've stopped. I have been taking a licorice chew as i read it helps. Not sure if it's luck but so far so good.
    Oh no!! I was told if I ever got the stomach flu that was constant vomiting I had to go to the hospital so they could give me something to stop or slow the vomiting and hydrate me.
    I only took the prilosec for 2 months or so. Im 14mo out. I was doing great, I sometimes get heart burn after eating sauce or spicy things, but nothing that a tums can't handle. Usually a sip of milk will help.
    If you stop taking it remember it's still in your system for a little while. So if you stop wait a few weeks to see how your doing before deciding what the next step will be.
    And I hope you feel better!!!
    Thank you my friends for all your comments! the surgeon told me before the sleeve that I could need PPI for several months, but since I lost a lot of my weight on my abdomen, it seems it will help with the pressure, so that why he said yesterday I could be ok now. It will probably take a few days to know like Aydensmomma said, so wait and see...
    oh noes! poor little brand new stomach, already gets the flu! That sucks! Silver lining about no IV, so I guess there is that ... hang in there ... this too shall pass!
    Three months out, still taking them. Otherwise I am nauseous most of the day from the acid. THAT feeling makes me want to eat something to settle my stomach. I'd rather take the pills
    I'm 1 year out and still taking them. Never had reflux or heartburn prior to surgery but I have it now. I can generally drink a few sips of water and it will go away but I hate waking up in the middle of the night with it. I've tried everything from eating early (5 hours before bedtime) eating bland food for diner and finally just decided it was a side effect of the surgery but better than the complications being obese can cause. Sorry you're experiencing the flu and thanks for sharing your experience.