Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

MargeB

Venting - Please don't read if you aren't in the mood for whining

Rate this Entry
I am 11 weeks out as of yesterday. I have lost exactly 30 lbs. I must admit, I was hoping for the magic of MORE, but I also must admit that I am still fairly sedentary. I'm working on moving, but it is very hard. Today, for example, I didn't want to walk. I made myself walk, and it took a full hour for a 2.25 mile walk. GO ME!!!

I'm just wondering how long it's going to take my body to adjust digestively and otherwise to my new normal. I'm wondering what my new normal will look like.

I have done a good job of eating 3 meals a day, getting sufficient protein, and having high protein snacks. I still cannot distinguish excess stomach acid and nausea from hunger. I know that sometimes I am not eating when I should, and sometimes I am eating more often than I should. I'm on omeprazole, and I'll take Tums as well if it's particularly bad. Living with nausea that is present more often than not is frustrating (though I am incredibly grateful that I have not EVER vomited).

I am either constipated for three or four days, or I have urgent diarrhea. I am a teacher, and this makes the latter very difficult. I have to call for someone to cover my class, and hope I can wait for the individual and THEN make it across campus to a relatively private bathroom (I might mention here that I do not USE public restrooms generally, so this is a BIG deal for me). I've been tracking, and it doesn't seem related to a specific food or food group, just my body processing and not being able to figure out how. I take a probiotic. I'm going to ask my neurologist about fiber (I take opiates for my fibromyalgia and arthritis - and did I mention that I MISS MY FUCKING NSAIDS?)

Often, these days, when I come here, I read so much conflicting advice regarding what to eat, how often to eat, how many calories to consume. I can't even comment any more. I followed my surgeon's directions to the T. I have had no problem with solid foods. At just under three months, I have been eating pretty much whatever I want for almost a month. I have managed to not get overly full most of the time. I'll read, though, that I should still be on purees, or I should be at 500 calories, and I'll start fuming. I'm currently at 1,000 calories a day. If I go below that, I stall. I get my protein in. I eat fruit and vegetables. I have rice/pasta if there is room.

This is MY journey, MY body, and maybe I am losing more slowly than some, but 2 lbs a week is sustainable for me. After three months, it has finally sunk in that this is PERMANENT. It's not that I don't believe I'll never be able to eat ice cream again. My goal is moderation and small portions. It's that I don't know if I'll ever FEEL normal again. I am sleeping 11-12 hours on the weekends, 7-8 on weekdays. I am tired. I am taking all recommended supplements, including sublingual B12.

Today, I wore a pair of pants and shirt that fit. EVERYONE was commenting. Today, I practiced simply saying thank you, and not brushing off the compliments. Because this is HARD work, learning my new normal.

I wouldn't undo a thing. I just wish that it wasn't such an individually determined thing, and that I could read the forums and find THE answer.

::gets off the pity pot, flushes, and wanders back off into life::

Submit "Venting - Please don't read if you aren't in the mood for whining" to Digg Submit "Venting - Please don't read if you aren't in the mood for whining" to del.icio.us Submit "Venting - Please don't read if you aren't in the mood for whining" to StumbleUpon Submit "Venting - Please don't read if you aren't in the mood for whining" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It is an individual thing, and since I have stopped comparing my success to others, I am better emotionally. I did go thru all the things you mentioned, my sleeve was October 7th, last year. You will find some good information on here. I will say that when I am eating away from home, I stick to foods that I know wont make me run to the bathroom; some of these are cheese sticks, grilled chicken and greek yogurt. I am so glad that I have never having problems with vomitting or heartburn. There are some days that are extremely hard for me, but the up side is that it is soo worth it. Good luck to you. Oh yeah, I have lost 40 pounds very slow. No exercise yet, and I don't care, I am happy, I am me and you are you
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxine7290
    It is an individual thing, and since I have stopped comparing my success to others, I am better emotionally. I did go thru all the things you mentioned, my sleeve was October 7th, last year. You will find some good information on here. I will say that when I am eating away from home, I stick to foods that I know wont make me run to the bathroom; some of these are cheese sticks, grilled chicken and greek yogurt. I am so glad that I have never having problems with vomitting or heartburn. There are some days that are extremely hard for me, but the up side is that it is soo worth it. Good luck to you. Oh yeah, I have lost 40 pounds very slow. No exercise yet, and I don't care, I am happy, I am me and you are you

Thanks for making me feel not quite so alone
    Hang in there MargeB. I can relate to some parts of your post. I too have problems going number 2 just like you, from one extreme to the other. Your weight loss seems to be steady so keep doing what your doing. You cant take whats on these boards as gospel. What works for one person may not work for the other. Dieting dosent work for me. I eat whatever I want. I dont count calories or track my food. I dont worry about buying only sugar free, fat free, unflavored yuck. I sort of follow Tinmans advice of eat what you want and NEVER overeat. So far it has worked for me and i am gonna stay on that course. Will it work for you or everyone? Maybe not but it has worked for me, and other so far. Has my weight loss slowed down? Yes it has but its still dropping slowly. Its not a race and there is no time limit. At 11 weeks you are still very new, and your weightloss is solid. I thought it was going to be an easy way to lose weight, but its not the easy way out that people think it is. Hang in there you will reach your goal, or some of your goals. And you are not alone.
    I must admit Ive read lots of conflicting advice as it seems many surgeons in USA advise a very conservative approach ( long time liquids and purees ) but over in Europe its a bit faster to the " real " food. Im just a newbie at almost 4 weeks but I feel your pain. Im not one for exercise - Ive always been lazy lol. Im trying to walk a bit more and currently spring cleaning and getting puffed up and exhausted - so that counts

Hope you sort the bathroom stuff out - that must be awful. All the best x
    I have RA and have struggled at time since my surgery with not being able to take my NSAID's. I still on Enbrel, which helps and if I have a flare up, my rheumatologist will give me a low dose of prednisone as a short term relief option.
    I have started taking probiotic gummies to help with "going" more on a regular basis. I just started them over the weekend, and so far everything is moving just as they should be!
    I use my fitness pal- not so much to track calories, fat, etc but to make sure I keep track of my protein. I don't use it for calories because I don't have a food scale and most of the entries are based on ounces so I just guess. I explained this when I went for my 1 year post op visit this week and we looked over my entries as most days show I went overt my allotted calories for the day when neither of us really think I did. I stop eating when I get bored or feel like I've had enough to eat- which ever happens first.
    If we can all just remember that this is our own individual journey, it helps to take some pressure off from comparing our success or feeling unsuccessful with someone else's progress.
    I just met with the nutritionist today and I brought up the thing about not being able to distinguish hunger from acid pain. She said I prob won't feel hunger after the surgery.

I think I eat now when I don't really need to, so I'm looking forward to that issue going away.
    Hi Marge,

Seems to me you are doing very good! Our bodies just need a few weeks to adjust...hopefully you will be 100% soon!

My surgeon did warn me about possible bathroom issues, and since I have IBS for 20 years now, I was just expecting to also run to the bathroom all the time, nothing new. But I'm only three weeks out, and I'm still fine, I had only one issue after eating beans, which was also a trigger before surgery. Since I had reflux before surgery, my surgeon did prescribed PPI right away (I never used medication before, I was just watching my diet, my reflux was light) my PPI was changed during my first post-op visit because I had a really painful episode of acid reflux and with the stronger medication, now I'm fine.

I had my surgery in Asia, and here they make us start pureed food earlier than in the States. I guess each surgeon has his way, and as far as we follow their instructions, we are good!

I was told to eat six small meal per day, I have a hard time to follow that...but so far it has been the main issue, with also getting enough water/protein! I'm really getting tired of the protein shakes! my nut said I should be eating at least 1000 calories per day, I'm not at that point yet, but hopefully will be there for my next post-op! I take my vitamins, and I hope to be out of my three weeks stall soon....will see!

We do our best, that's what matters!

take care
    MargieB. I have RA, fibro, and psoractic Arthrtis. Along with Psorasis. I get the excerise thing. You are tired and don't want to do it. I feel the same way but most days I do walk or exercise on my wii fit. You ache very badly and just plain hurt. But try and push thru because these health issues I have along with HBP is why I had this suregery. Hoping to releive the pain and come off my meds. I also have IBS and I do the same way you do. I try to change up my food but I am almost 3 wks post opt and on soft foods. Not alot to be able to change up. Especially since I am a picky eater too. I hope you feel better soon. Blessing!
    hello,, I feel your frustration,,ive read allot and got allot of advice also,, ive learned different things work for different people,, I'm new at this and still learning,, I was sleeved November 20, 2015 I'm almost 3 months post op, I still throw up,, my pouch is very picky,, I have issues with my back that wont allow me to lift weights,, but I do go up and down allot of stairs to compensate. I often get frustrated at times,, oh I forgot my starting weight was 277,, ive lost 80lbs but ive struggled to regain my strength after such a drastic amount loss so soon,, at times I thought I was gonna pass out,, I'm glad to say things are getting better,,ive almost mastered portions,, but I still throw up for no reason,, its not as bad as it use to be thank god,, I had the realization also at month 2 that this is real and for life,, after its done I couldn't take it back,, wow,,,, what a reality check,, your feelings are normal,, and ive been there,, venting is good,, just hang in there,, I'm a chef and I still love to cook,, I just find myself cooking for others and watch them eat,,, lol idk why but I enjoy watching people eat,, because I cant lol I'm always gonna be a foodie,, lol ive just learned in this small time ive been sleeved to not be so hard on myself and stay away from the scale. Water weight especially for woman will happen,, your doin an awesome job and I wish you all the best,, your story helped me thank you and god bless you,,,,,,
    It took my body a Long time to straighten out..i was tired for months..i am now at 11 months and now feel "normal" but up until a few weeks ago, i was having "poop" issues on an off..it seems to be straightened out now..
    this is a journey and your body has to heal..
    i am also a slow looser, but i am happy and love my life now..although not at goal, i am only 20 lbs away from it..amazing..
    Sounds like you're doing great following your doctor's advice. (And as a teacher, I can totally relate to the bathroom part.) just think, some people have jobs where they can use the bathroom whenever they want! If I did that I would have some 7th graders killing each other.
    All I can say is hang in there. It will get better. You are still very early out. As a teacher, I also get the bathroom issue! I had horrible constipation. Citrate magnesium. Get some! It works quickly!
    Everybody's journey is different. What I've learned is don't worry about everyone else. I'm over a year out and I lost 75 lbs. I am a slow loser and I am still trying everyday to reach my goal. It might never happen but I have been successful. When I weighed 274 I would have done anything to lose 75 lbs. I used to say, if I could just weigh 200 lbs I would be so happy. Now I weigh 195 and that isn't good enough because I set some goal based on nothing that I knew about my body's potential?. My reaction when comparing my success to everyone else? how disappointing. My reaction when I just focus on me, what I've accomplished and how I feel? YES!!! I'VE LOST 75 LBS!!!! YAHOO!! My point, this journey is about you and if you keep comparing to other people you will find fault, reasons to fail which ultimately leads to all those demons creeping back in. Live for you, eat for you, choose for you!! You are going to do great and wherever the journey leads it's going to lead to a healthier and happier you regardless of the final number. One day at a time. Eat less, move lots, drink water. That's it! You got this!!