Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Maxine7290

slow going

Rate this Entry
I am interested in hearing from people my age that have had the sleeve. I am not doing that great and wonder if it is an age thing. Your input would be appreciated.

Submit "slow going" to Digg Submit "slow going" to del.icio.us Submit "slow going" to StumbleUpon Submit "slow going" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

YOU HAVEN'T TOLD US YOUR AGE RANGE OR HOW MUCH YOU HAVE LOST. I WAS 70 WHEN I HAD THE SLEEVE AND DID NOT HAVE ANY ISSUES RE:AGE. TELL US A BIT MORE AND MAYBE WE CAN HELP.
    I am 66. surgery was 10/07/15. I have had many non scale victories, also made a lot of mistakes.
    Two weeks ago, I saw my surgeon and he was disappointed that I had only lost 34 pounds. I will tell you that I continue drinking my regular coffee, and also eat Quest protein bars (about 2 daily). I am basically happy with everything, except I seem to be stuck. This has been going on over 2 months. I do take in about 900 calories a day; no bread, pasta or sugar.
    Maxine, I was 61 when I had the surgery almost 5 years ago. I don't think age is a relative factor although as the years pass, the weight is redistributed in places that I'm not thrilled about However, I have maintained most of the 145 lbs. I've lost, I keep active, and would do it all over again. I think the Quest protein bars this early on might be a slippery slope as they are sweet and not the best protein source. What other proteins are you eating, drinking enough water, exercising a bit to rev up our senior metabolism is a great boost also. Maybe you can just go back to the basics of right after you had surgery, or try the 5 day pouch test. You're losing and on the right track, but you might just have to give your body a "jump-start." Please let us know how you're doing, and continued success!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl
    Maxine, I was 61 when I had the surgery almost 5 years ago. I don't think age is a relative factor although as the years pass, the weight is redistributed in places that I'm not thrilled about However, I have maintained most of the 145 lbs. I've lost, I keep active, and would do it all over again. I think the Quest protein bars this early on might be a slippery slope as they are sweet and not the best protein source. What other proteins are you eating, drinking enough water, exercising a bit to rev up our senior metabolism is a great boost also. Maybe you can just go back to the basics of right after you had surgery, or try the 5 day pouch test. You're losing and on the right track, but you might just have to give your body a "jump-start." Please let us know how you're doing, and continued success!

Thanks!
    I know I'm not in the right age range you're looking for, but 900 calories seems a bit high at slightly under 4 months post op. I drink 1 - 2 cups of coffee most days of the week with regular half and half (no sugar in my coffee). I've seen many women who've had this surgery at your age and most of them do fantastic like TheNewMeToday. So let's go through the basics, because if you follow them for the rest of your life, you'll be successful too!
    -are you eating enough protein every day? How much?
    -how much water do you drink?
    -are you exercising a few times a week or more?
    -are you eating your protein first, then the vegetable, and finally a carb?
    - do you wait at least 30 minutes before and after to you eat to drink your water?

Tell us what a day in your life looks like Here's a example of mine. It varies on whether I am working or not.
    On my days off I get up around 7:30 (depends on when my toddler wakes up). I have a cup of strong coffee that takes me a good hour to drink - at least! Then I wait 30 - 45 minutes to eat breakfast. Sometimes this is one scrambled egg with half a slice of cheese and ketchup (I LOVE ketchup!) Sometimes I drink a Syntrax Matrix protein shake. Or I'll drink a JavaPro protein shake instead of having my cup of coffee, because javapro has coffee in it and is delicious. Or I might have a yogurt. I only eat half of a cup at a time so 5 ounces of yogurt is perfect. For lunch I usually eat leftover dinner foods. And for dinner I make sure it's protein-packed. Oftentimes there's pasta, rice, or potato since I'm cooking for 3 other adults, and my toddler as well. I just eat around those foods. For example: last night I made a casserole of ground beef, ground pork sausage, cabbage, onion, cream of mushroom soup, and cheese in between 2 sheets of crescent rolls. It was delicious, but I knew the soup mixed with everything would be plenty of carbs so I ate a few bites - 1/4 of a cup to 1/2 of a cup of the mixture and only 1 or 2 bites of the crescent part. And it was plenty of food. I try to steer clear of soups as a meal since it messes with the rule of eating and drinking separately. But I like making casseroles so cream of ______ is fine in my opinion. I try to eat something with carbs in it once a day.

I hope this helps you!
    Congrats on your surgery and for your focus on finding the best guidelines for you. Age wise I had my "banana " tummy surgery at 63. At going into my third year, I have maintained between 138-142pounds as of today. (Pre surgery I weighed 255 lbs.)
    All of the suggestions offered by these thoughtful people, I would like to add my vote for the water, protein, exercise and making certain taking your vitamins on a daily basis. It's a whole package. If you are into a snack once in awhile, think pistachios or almonds or walnuts. Sugar-free Popsicles, or fat free Greek yogurt. Many times, when we think we are needing to eat something, often what we really need is water.

Since my surgery and, to this day, I have found recording my protein intake, my water intake and my vitamins and exercise type and amount of minutes, it keeps me disciplined....after all, 62+bad food choices are my past .

I wish you so much success we can all taste it for you! You go girl!
    I agree with Jerzey. I am not a fan of bars or shakes, because like she said, they are sweet and it just makes you crave more. I think you have to learn to eat real food and develop a healthy relationship with it. You can't learn what works for your body if you don't play around with it a little. Best to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxine7290
    I am 66. surgery was 10/07/15. I have had many non scale victories, also made a lot of mistakes.
    Two weeks ago, I saw my surgeon and he was disappointed that I had only lost 34 pounds. I will tell you that I continue drinking my regular coffee, and also eat Quest protein bars (about 2 daily). I am basically happy with everything, except I seem to be stuck. This has been going on over 2 months. I do take in about 900 calories a day; no bread, pasta or sugar.
    I had my surgery Dec 2, 2015 and I have lost 32#. I thought I was moving slow too. I really expected to lose more. I have had a couple of stalls. It would help to hear what you are eating daily. I was eating Quest bars as well because they are acceptable snacks but when I stalled, my NUT told me that I really should only have about 1/2 of a bar per day because of the high glycemic index. I was eating 2 to 3. I cut them out completely because 1. I was spending lots of money on them and 2. I didn't want to be tempted by having them in the house. I just switched to a different snack. That seemed to help.
    At 4/5 months post op you should only be at between 400-600 calories daily. Don't worry so much about calories. Track protein. 80 gms a day. No carbs. Stick to shakes, cottage cheese, eggs, lean meats, veggies, chili(beans) lots of water and start walking. Start off slow but work your way up to 1 or 2 miles a day. A great way to do this is walking at the mall. Lots to look at and you don't realize your walking as far as you are. Don't window shop. Just walk! Try to steer clear of protein bars at this point. They are really high in sugar and carbs and if you get the ones with sugar alcohols that can confuse your body. Eat simple real food, high protein, water and start moving. The weight will come off. Good luck!
    Thank you all for your advise. All of it is helpful to me,,here I go!
    Maxine, see the story of my weight loss and what I did that worked well for me. I was sleeved at 68 y.o. and am now 70 and 5'5". I've lost 100 pounds and been at or below goal for 9 months now. FYI I weighed 135 this morning.
    Hi Maxine..I dont think it is necessarily 900 calories..i think it is all about movement and quality of calories like everyone says..i too drink coffee..i have had a slower weight loss, but i am so happy with it..i am coming up on a year (i am 61) and i have lost 80 lbs, still want to go another 20..but you know what i am happy with my new life..
    i think you have to enjoy what you have..dont fall for the bars..only when necessary..and try getting real food in..i love cottage cheese..with blueberries..yum..and oikos yogurt..yum! so many good things that dont hurt the tummy..anyhow..You will do great..dont take it too hard if your doc is disappointed..my last appointment i saw a drs assistant who looked at me and said..well you havent lost enough..i wanted to punch her skinny face (she had never been fat a day in her life) whereas my doc..also has had surgery..i totaly love him!! but that day i had his assistant..argh!at any rate..i like how i feel and although i am a slow looser, i constantly loose every month..so some of us are like that..that is ok..
    Quote Originally Posted by LaffeyTaffey
    I know I'm not in the right age range you're looking for, but 900 calories seems a bit high at slightly under 4 months post op. I drink 1 - 2 cups of coffee most days of the week with regular half and half (no sugar in my coffee). I've seen many women who've had this surgery at your age and most of them do fantastic like TheNewMeToday. So let's go through the basics, because if you follow them for the rest of your life, you'll be successful too!
    -are you eating enough protein every day? How much?
    -how much water do you drink?
    -are you exercising a few times a week or more?
    -are you eating your protein first, then the vegetable, and finally a carb?
    - do you wait at least 30 minutes before and after to you eat to drink your water?

Tell us what a day in your life looks like Here's a example of mine. It varies on whether I am working or not.
    On my days off I get up around 7:30 (depends on when my toddler wakes up). I have a cup of strong coffee that takes me a good hour to drink - at least! Then I wait 30 - 45 minutes to eat breakfast. Sometimes this is one scrambled egg with half a slice of cheese and ketchup (I LOVE ketchup!) Sometimes I drink a Syntrax Matrix protein shake. Or I'll drink a JavaPro protein shake instead of having my cup of coffee, because javapro has coffee in it and is delicious. Or I might have a yogurt. I only eat half of a cup at a time so 5 ounces of yogurt is perfect. For lunch I usually eat leftover dinner foods. And for dinner I make sure it's protein-packed. Oftentimes there's pasta, rice, or potato since I'm cooking for 3 other adults, and my toddler as well. I just eat around those foods. For example: last night I made a casserole of ground beef, ground pork sausage, cabbage, onion, cream of mushroom soup, and cheese in between 2 sheets of crescent rolls. It was delicious, but I knew the soup mixed with everything would be plenty of carbs so I ate a few bites - 1/4 of a cup to 1/2 of a cup of the mixture and only 1 or 2 bites of the crescent part. And it was plenty of food. I try to steer clear of soups as a meal since it messes with the rule of eating and drinking separately. But I like making casseroles so cream of ______ is fine in my opinion. I try to eat something with carbs in it once a day.

I hope this helps you!

thanks for the really good info!
    I am 50. I am able to walk/exercise 3-4 days a week depending on my fibro and my arthritis. I have found that if I eat fewer than 1000 calories a day, I stall. I weigh and measure EVERYTHING (including extras).

I love Quest bars, but reserve them for emergencies (like a morning when the kids have 10 things for me to sign and/or find because they forgot).

I think that we all have to find our sweet spots regarding calories, amount of carbs etc. Everyone's experience is different. I think that for some of us, even with the sleeve, the weight is going to come off more slowly. I'm okay with an average of two pounds a week.

I am not even three months out. I followed my surgeon's and nutritionists directions. If i tried to live on 400 -500 calories a day, I couldn't get out of bed, BUT THAT IS ME. It may be fine for someone else, and they may be losing more rapidly than I am, and that is OK.