Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

sweetie1220

help weight gain after two years

Rate this Entry
I have gained over 14 lbs, and I am not getting much protein in...sleeve seems to have grown, can get too much food in, not enough liquids(water), no exercise, lots of slider foods...can someone help or give advice...please no criticism...thanks

Submit "help weight gain after two years" to Digg Submit "help weight gain after two years" to del.icio.us Submit "help weight gain after two years" to StumbleUpon Submit "help weight gain after two years" to Google

Comments

No criticism here! I'm starting to do the same thing! Just posted a thread about this too. Don't get discouraged. We can do this! I keep looking back at how much I've accomplished. We just need to change some habits maybe😉 Good luck
    I WENT BACK TO BASICS AND DID THE 5 DAY POUCH TEST TO GET ME STARTED. IT HAS HELPED ME REMEMBER WHAT THE SLEEVE IS FOR AND TO WATCH PORTION, PROTEIN AND WATER. KEEP GOING WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
    I congratulate you for being aware to the issue in front of you. You voiced everyone's worry, thank you.
    I was thinking about this myself. I had my surgery 2013 and looking inside myself and my past and my future, I can say this for a fact: I have to be aware of everything it takes: protein first, liquids, exercises and to which, I write down my liquid, my meds(vitamins, calcium d3,iron etc) and my foods. And my mood...it makes me take a few deep breathes. I realize I'm not near perfect, but it's okay, cause I will keep trying....tomorrow.
    My best to you....each day
    From what I understand it is quite normal to put some weight back on after a year or so. You just need to be mindful of what you are eating and keep up with the protein and water. Kind of go back to the beginning of your journey and do what you used to when you first started. Don't panic 14lbs. isn't bad at all just keep an eye on it and don't let it get out of hand. Also try to stay away from the slider foods all together and get back to vedgies, fruit and healthy meats. You will be fine and like I said a few pounds back over time is quite normal. Good luck and no judgement here at all we are only human.
    You already answered all of your own questions....more protein. More fluids. More excercise. Stop eating sliders. It's pretty simple. And you don't have to eat until your sleeve is full. I'm two years out, too and I would certainly regain if I ate as much as my sleeve allows. My brain controls my portions now, not my sleeve.

I've always gotten 60-80g protein and 70-100oz fluid but I can still gain a few pounds by eating too much crap. But the very 1st pound of regain I go back to protein and veggie basics until I'm back to my low weight. It is a daily challenge that will last the rest of my life, but one i accepted when I chose to have surgery.

Long term success is all about your choices and almost nothing about your sleeve. You need to get your head back in the game. Go to counseling, get a WLS buddy, whatever, but recognize your responsibility and do it.
    No criticism here either! I had skin removal in June and got down to 134. This morning I am at 143. I think the fact that we are aware and determined to bring the gain to a halt speaks volumes opposed to how I used to deal with it. Before I wouldn't even look at the scales because it was just too depressing. Now I deal with it squarely. I am doing a low carb diet, because that has worked well for me. I know I am not drinking enough water and that is going to change. This morning I had bacon and eggs. Yay me! lol. Of course, bacon is always a winner. What I love about low carb! lol! My problem right now is consistency. I am doing well and then something like the new Texas Roadhouse rears its ugly head. They bring yeast rolls to the table as they seat you. I love those things. Even just having one completely threw me off task. I ate junk the rest of the day. Hm...reminiscent of the old days, screw up once and then forget it till tomorrow. I am still working on that. I tend to be a perfectionist so if it isn't a perfect day, forget it. As I said, a work in progress. I am glad you posted. I am here for continued support, because no matter how far some of us are out, we still need it. Take care!
    You know exactly why you are gaining, you told us in the post. So no criticism, just get back to how all of us post-surgery people should be eating. Good luck!
    I am guilty as well and the reason for me checking back into the forum today. The past year and a half or so I have put back on about 30 lbs and gone back over that 300 lbs mark I thought I never would again. Pretty disappointed in myself. I stopped eating right and working out. I've turned the ship at the first of the year. Started eating like I should and working out. I was doubting the sleeve was working a few months ago. It is amazing though if you eat like you should (protein first) it still works even 2+ years out. The pouch has definitely grown but if I measure out about 10 oz of food each meal, eat my protein first, not eat slider foods, and not drink during and wait at least 20 minutes after ... the sleeve still works.
    Go back to the basics. You're supposed to do that for the rest of your life anyhow. Exercise, drink plenty of water, wait 30 mins before and after eating to drink. Eat protein, vegetables, then the carb.
    I saw a write up on a study that was done on 200 people 2 years out from sleeve surgery. They took 100 that had maintained their weight and 100 that had regained their weight. The had them complete Endoscopy's. The majority of endoscopy's showed the size of the stomach and opening were the same for all. So, that showed the weight gain was not because of a "stretched out" stomach, but too many calories.

It said one candidate said she drank 2-3 cappuccinos a day, that is almost 700 calories!...not to mention the high calorie food that was consumed.
    JuliB ... Thanks for that study finding. Would you please post a link here?
    I agree with Ann Hopefully it's a well known fact that just because we eat less than we used to it doesn't mean we won't gain our weight back by eating whatever we want. I've seen a few people on this site in the past year who say they eat whatever they want and either barely exercise or don't at all so I'm curious to see where they're at in a few years, you know?
    During my first appointment with my surgeon, he told me that between 18 months and 2 years a weight gain had to be expected. So at some point it's normal.
    Now, many factors can contribute, age, health, medication, exercise, and of course food!
    It's better to focus on action and not feel guilty about it because it will only make you eat more!
    May be you need to get busy, help in a charity or something if you can, then you will have less time to think about food...

I was reading a great book last month, may be it will help you!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...al-text&sr=1-1
    take care!
    Don't feel so bad! I've 3yrs out and gained 30lbs and I struggle everyday with food choices. I agree with what everyone is saying it's not the sleeve it's what we eat. I'm trying to get back to basics but it's hard. We can do this!!! We just have to get our heads on right LOL. Good Luck!!!
    Like everyone said....you listed exactly what your doing wrong.
    Ask yourself, how bad do you want it? Would you rather eat that slider or look sexy in a bathingsuit? Not exercise and gain? Or exercise and look really sexy in a bathingsuit ;-)
    You can do this. Go thru your fridge and cabinets- clean house and Start over. 14lbs will turn into 30 and 30 to 45 etc..
    Start over, get that protein and water in. It's important for our bodies, and not just for loosing weight or maintaining.
    It will be interesting to see what I have to say in two or three years. But for now there's no way in hell I plan to gain 30 pounds in a few years. And I don't care what is "normal" or what others do. As I said, time will tell how well I keep my promise to myself. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    I had my sleeve done 3 1/2 yrs ago. I got the weight off and kept it off for 3 or those years, then began a new job that is much more sedentary than what I did before. The weight started creeping up these past 6 months and now I am 14lbs heavier. I know that I worked too hard to get it off to let it come back on.. Today is a new day.. Going to do the 5 day pouch diet and then get back on track! Need to get more exercise in for sure!
    I had my sleeve done in 2013. I have gained 18 lbs. and my blood sugars have been slowly creeping up. I go to meet with the dietician tomorrow to help me with meals. I will not go back on diabetic medications (one messed up my liver). So starting slowly again, hope to loss the 18 lbs plus more, as I never did make my weight goal.
    I gained a little too, however I changed how I ate and excersised. I just completed a 21 day fix with shakeology and lost 18lbs, it can be done let me know how I can help!

Tom

www.beachbodycoach.com/TOMSGROI
    hi all
    me too i start to gain weight again i gained about 20 lbs which make me in very bad mood and i felt that no way to stop gain weight but after i read all those comments i feel that there is hope to come back on track
    thx all
    Yeah, I'm 7 pounds up from lowest weight and I know why: chips, dip, wine, candy, cake, etc. Carbs, carbs, carbs: no exercise. I really have to get control now, before 7 turns into 10, 15 then 20. 1 year out and the honeymoon is officially over!
    HI,
    I just posted about this myself.... I'm with you here! I have never reached my goal weight and now I and 20 ills heavier then my lowest weight... How are you doing with your loss? Any yet?

Reading the comments are helping me get back on track!
    How are you doing now? Did you get a grip on the wt gain?