Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Davis165

Going to the gym...with this body.

Rate this Entry
I am fortunate enough to have an opportunity to join a rather nice gym, it's connected to the school that I'm attending. The only draw back is the view I have of myself. The facility is very nice and I am so thrilled to be able to go. It is right next to my job, making it easy to get my workout done right after work, which is great! My issue is walking into the gym and just generally being there with other people who have zero body image issues. I feel like the biggest person in the place!! It is hard for me sometimes. I joined because I need and want to have an extra form of accountability. I don't have a lot of extra time to be a part of a support group...right now anyway. Am I the only one that feels this way? Let me clarify, the people at the gym have not made me feel this way. I've been met with nothing but kindness, thankfully. I guess that I'm just suffering from poor body image. I have lost a good amount of weight, so far and am so very happy with how my body is looking and changing, being fully clothed anyway it's just when the layers come off I feel terribly exposed... I'm still going, because this isn't something that I'm going to allow to hinder me, but it is there. I just needed to get this off of my chest in a place where people would understand. Thank you for listening/reading.

Submit "Going to the gym...with this body." to Digg Submit "Going to the gym...with this body." to del.icio.us Submit "Going to the gym...with this body." to StumbleUpon Submit "Going to the gym...with this body." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Vent on, and congratulations on having the courage to walk into that gym in the first place! Those joints can be intimidating! As for the negative body images, I can say that yes, i have felt as you have. I still struggle with body issues from time to time and i still have those "feel big moments" but those moments are becoming few and far between now. Keep on going and keep working towards that healthy body image.
    Aww I understand! My job allows the staff to use their indoor swimming pool after they go to a special orientation for it. I LOVE swimming and I'm pretty sure it's the best exercise there is. I just haven't contacted the person I need to yet to get in the water. And I'm still so big. BUT it'll be so so good for me. Now to buy a swimsuit for the first time in... 5-7 years! We can do this girl!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaffeyTaffey
    Aww I understand! My job allows the staff to use their indoor swimming pool after they go to a special orientation for it. I LOVE swimming and I'm pretty sure it's the best exercise there is. I just haven't contacted the person I need to yet to get in the water. And I'm still so big. BUT it'll be so so good for me. Now to buy a swimsuit for the first time in... 5-7 years! We can do this girl!

I bought my suit at http://www.junonia.com/. They are a little expensive but they are high quality. I bought shorts and a top. The top looks just like a t-shirt but it's made out of bathing suit material. I love it. I felt so uncomfortably in a traditional bathing suit.
    I hate feeling that way. I avoided gyms exactly because of that feeling. I feel like the people at the gym all have nice hard bodies and there I was jiggling when I walked. Your stronger then I was and you should be proud of that. All the people at the gym are probably nice people, who have or have had weight problems or just want to live a healthy lifestyle. Your all there and have that in common. Your going to feel better and better about the way you look and people will see that confidence in you and respect you for it. Keep up the great work!! I still don't go to the gym. Just for different reasons now....I don't have the extra $ or time right now. I have my elliptical and treadmill in my basement but weight training is what I want to do.....not burn calories.
    Go you! You won't be the biggest person there for long, that's for sure. And working out will make you feel so good about your body, it really is a great feeling. Good luck!
    Don't be worried about going to the gym or what others may think. I had the same fear and it was just another excuse why not to go. No one else cares what you look like and you'd be surprised how much better you'll feel after working out. I started out not being able to peddle a reccumbant bike in a complete circle due to a bad knee. Now I'm taking spin classes (yes my knee is still sore some days). Work at your own pace, even when taking group classes
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement! I love that I can come here and find support!
    Hello Davis, Several times I bought memberships in gyms and went there for six months to a year (then we moved). Each time it was hard to start, meet new people, feel the stares. But I actually only had great experiences, really nice people, I think most people don't really care how you look, they just look at you at the beginning because you are a newbie.

Now I have a gym in my building, and it's almost always empty when I go there. I'm planning on going more as soon as I will loose more weight...there's no stares for sure, but I do miss the chit chat we had in the other gyms
    You know I sometimes would look at some skinny girl working out and think, what are you doing here, you look great and you need to work out? Now I don't think that way anymore. Sure I have about 50lbs to lose but I'm busy focusing on me and not so much of the others around me. This is "me time" and I enjoy working out in groups because you meet people with similar issues. I've been working out at this gym where they do strength training cardio, constantly cheering and encouraging others and the trainers are awesome with showing modifications because of knee issues.
    Hello, I went to the gymn this morning.. I said hi to everyone and started my routine. I love to listen to my audio books so I'm kinda in my own world. I use the indoor pool and believe me it was hard at first. Everyone there has a focus, most are my age 50 and over. I guest everyone just wants to be healthier. Don't let anything stop you from going forward.
    I think my biggest fear is failing. I have so many people telling me you look great. But what if I have a bad moment and not lose in a month. I have to care if I fail and not if someone says im going to fail.....that's my mental parity for to day
    Thank you everyone for the great encouragement!!