Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Emilyrosebud

Not the surgery I wanted

Rate this Entry
I went for my cardiac clearance last month and found out that I need to have open heart surgery for a genetic heart condition called hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy before I can have my weight loss surgery. My heart surgery is scheduled for December 17 and the middle of December was when I was planning to have my sleeve surgery.
I've been going through the insurance process of medically supervised nutritional counseling since March 2015. Now the earliest I will be able to have my sleeve surgery will be April 2016. I'm worried about having the two major surgeries so close together, but my insurance will change in June 2016 and the new insurance excludes bariatric surgery.
I felt so depressed about the heart surgery and this delay in getting my sleeve done that I could not visit this site since the first week of October. I was so close and so ready and now I worry that I will lose my will to have the sleeve done. Maybe once I am two months out from the heart surgery I can focus on the sleeve surgery again. I have lost fifty pounds since May and that is what keeps me going. If I was still stuck in that 281 lb body I would be so miserable because I had gotten to the point where I couldn't stand being trapped in it anymore. Going from 281 to 233 makes a big difference and I was on such a roll to keep it going.
I am wondering if anyone else had a setback like this or if anyone has an experience with having two major surgeries in four months. I'd also appreciate any support or words of encouragement you could give. Thanks, Cindy.

Submit "Not the surgery I wanted" to Digg Submit "Not the surgery I wanted" to del.icio.us Submit "Not the surgery I wanted" to StumbleUpon Submit "Not the surgery I wanted" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sorry about the complications, I had sleeve in April and a knee replacement in Oct. My recovery from both went very well. Hopefully you will be able to have your sleeve before the insurance changes. Have you shared this with your heart surg? The sleeve is a fairly non invasive surg.
    Good Luck.
    I'm glad your knee replacement and sleeve both went well. My cardiologist knows that I want the sleeve because I was visiting him to ask for clearance to have the sleeve when he told me that my heart wasn't healthy enough to have the sleeve and I would need to have heart surgery first. I haven't met the surgeon yet. I won't meet him until six days before the surgery and I will ask him then what his recommendations are for another major surgery in four months. I've heard that I would only have to wait three months and that's because they don't want you to have general anesthesia again for at least three months. I also know that my surgeon is requiring that I visit the dentist and have him sign a form stating that all dental work that may be foreseen in the next six months has been done before surgery. So dental work is not advised for six months, but I'm hoping that the sleeve would be. ??
    My thoughts........ the gastric sleeve saved your life! You had to have cardiac clearance which in turn saved your life either on the surgery table for the sleeve or earlier in life than you wanted. So I'm going to say... CONGRATULATIONS! !!
    Thanks goodness they found out about your heart problem, that probably just saved your life! Worry about the sleeve later. Best wishes that your heart surgery goes OK and you'll be on your way to a healthier life.
    This is a blessing in disguise, just think... Without that initial consultation your health might have gotten worse and complications might have gotten worse; now you'll be on your way to a healthier you! Continued success, and hope and thoughts that everything works out for you
    I totally understand where you are coming from...in April 2014 I had a hysterectomy and during the surgery the Dr. accidentally cauterized my left bladder in half and I went home with a nephrostomy bag which collects the urine into a bag out side of my body...I had the bag for four weeks then I went back for a left ureter implant . After a full recovery from both of those surgeries and I wasn't sure if I wanted to still have my sleeve done so I waited as long as a could and had my sleeve done in December 2014... so I had three major surgeries in one year. So thankful to report that all is well...this was one of the best decisions I have ever made.... no regrets and oh yeah all covered under one deductible yay! Thank You Jesus! His grace and his mercy!
    Praying for you Emily.