Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

stargazerlily

For anyone contemplating surgery with 1 kidney

Rate this Entry
I haven't been on here in a minute but I felt the need to express my journey in case anyone who reads this is in my shoes....

Before I had the GS surgery, I had a radical nephrectomy in 2012. In 2010 during a routine abdominal ultrasound for the Lap Band, a tumor was found on my left kidney. I never had any symptoms of kidney cancer and I fought my diagnosis from day 1. At the time, I was in nursing school and I was too busy to stop my life to worry about something I felt was nothing. One thing that helped me was knowing my father having the same surgery in the 60's but no one in my family knew why. This helped me because I always felt genetics was at play. Anyhow, I flew thru that surgery and recovery like a champ. I found out after my surgery that it was indeed Renal Cell Carcinoma. My Nephrologist became one of my most trusted and we put our heads together to figure out how to help my beautifully strong kidney take me to the next 45 years of my life.

My Nephrologist is amazing but young and at the time hadn't experienced referring any of his patients for the GS surgery. I was fortunate to have a few co-workers at my hospital who had successful bariatric surgeries (Lap Band & GS). I researched as much as I could on GS, Lap Band and Bypass surgery. I work in surgery as well, so I know the processes 1st hand. I talked to my Nephro and we decided TOGETHER that the GS surgery would be the best fit for me. The Lap Band and Bypass are just not conducive to anyone with 1 kidney as we can not risk the complications or chance of 2nd surgery.

I had the GS surgery on 3/23/2015 and to say I was ready, is an understatement. I no longer cared about food or how good things tasted. I didn't focus on the negative statements others stressed to me (even from other nurses). I knew the GS surgery would save me in the long run. I started out on surgery day at 244 lbs and today, I am 193. My surgery didn't go without pain but that only lasted for a few days. To this day, I don't really have cravings and I can eat just about anything I put into my mouth. Does that scare me? Only if I allow it too. I eat healthy consistently and I am very happy with my progress. I am on the slow end of weight loss compared to others but this is MY journey so I am racing against no one. As long as I see progress, I am content with each success.

The best part of this journey, is not just my physical confidence but my last Nephro check up went like this. All of my labs came back normal....after 9 years of taking metformin 500 mg twice a day as a type 2 diabetic, NO MORE since surgery. I no longer have high cholesterol (not high enough to take medications but I am happy that is now low). The protein in my urine has drastically GONE DOWN. Why? As we lose weight, our blood pressure stabilizes thus our kidney(s) function better. So since I have lost a significant amount of weight, my kidney has actually grown and now functions better. It always functioned good but now it is better. I do take Cozaar 50 mg once a day for kidney retention as maintenance. I was never placed on a kidney diet or low protein diet as my Neprho never felt it was needed. I drink LOTS of water. I drink at least 1.5 liters of water a day and I am working on adding 1 liter more to that. It is hard but not impossible. My next Nephro appt is by phone alone, as my Dr does not feel a physical appt is needed (labs are drawn every 6 months for check up).

So, if you are like me or anything like me...do not worry and work with your Dr's not against them. If you have a Dr that doesn't work with you, then find a Dr that will. I feel like I am a miracle walking and after losing 3 family members back to back from Pancreatic Cancer (mom, step mom & aunt), I finally understood why I was saved. After 3 years with a tumor, my cancer was stage 1. I am blessed beyond words and the GS surgery gave me all the more reasons to live and take care of the precious gift given to me.

Take care, god bless and thank you for taking the time to read this long post.

Submit "For anyone contemplating surgery with 1 kidney" to Digg Submit "For anyone contemplating surgery with 1 kidney" to del.icio.us Submit "For anyone contemplating surgery with 1 kidney" to StumbleUpon Submit "For anyone contemplating surgery with 1 kidney" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I too had Renal Cell Carcinoma, It was found accidently when I went into the ER with a gall bladder attack. Thank God for the gall bladder attack otherwise I don't think I would of found out in time because I too had no symptoms. I went to a doctor in San Antonio who removed just the part of my left kidney that the cancer was in. I was able to keep my left kidney. But the surgery was hell for me. It was the most painful surgery I ever had. It took a lot out of me. But as to date I am cancer free and that was 5 years ago. I go one more time to my Urologist to make sure the cancer is gone and will stay gone...Good luck to you hon
    Congratulations to you both!
    I have wondered how you are stargazerlily~ So happy to hear the news that all is well and that you are feeling better..please dont be a stranger!! congrats to you!! cathi
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNotABarbie
    I too had Renal Cell Carcinoma, It was found accidently when I went into the ER with a gall bladder attack. Thank God for the gall bladder attack otherwise I don't think I would of found out in time because I too had no symptoms. I went to a doctor in San Antonio who removed just the part of my left kidney that the cancer was in. I was able to keep my left kidney. But the surgery was hell for me. It was the most painful surgery I ever had. It took a lot out of me. But as to date I am cancer free and that was 5 years ago. I go one more time to my Urologist to make sure the cancer is gone and will stay gone...Good luck to you hon

So nice to see that I am not alone! Thank you!! I was lucky to be stage 1 after 3 years and I am eternally grateful. I no longer see my Urologist and just follow my Nephrologist and now by phone...=0) Best of luck as well to you and thank you for all of your support!!!

Donna
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Congratulations to you both!

Thank you so much Miss Ann
    Quote Originally Posted by cathbas
    I have wondered how you are stargazerlily~ So happy to hear the news that all is well and that you are feeling better..please dont be a stranger!! congrats to you!! cathi

Thank you Miss Cathi!!! I sincerely appreciate all of the support and I have a feeling there are more in my boat. I feel great and I can not thank my team of supporters enough!!!