Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Catlover

Question regarding Blood test results.

Rate this Entry
I just started my 6th month and down 65lbs. Yah me!! Had my first blood work done yesterday and found out my cholesterol level has gone UP not down. It's the LDL side that has escalated and the HDL went down. Doctor appt in Oct to go over test results, but I am wondering if anyone else experienced this, and should I be concerned?

Submit "Question regarding Blood test results." to Digg Submit "Question regarding Blood test results." to del.icio.us Submit "Question regarding Blood test results." to StumbleUpon Submit "Question regarding Blood test results." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I wouldn't be concerned. It's a good thing when the LDL goes up.
    Thanks, what a relief.
    You want the HDL to go up, not necessarily the LDL. What is important is the ratio of HDL to LDL. Exercise will bring up your HDL.
    I am very active, especially in the summer time with garden, yard and other types of physical work and since losing half of my goal weight, I am way more energetic and moving all the time. Thanks for your insight, I was concerned I had messed up somewhere along the line!! Thanks again for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngrl
    You want the HDL to go up, not necessarily the LDL. What is important is the ratio of HDL to LDL. Exercise will bring up your HDL.

Ack....I got it backwards. You are correct. The HDL is the good cholesterol.

Sorry Catlover.
    Did you have problems with cholesterol before surgery? Mine is from my family. I was on meds before surgery, we tried 3 months after surgery without them, but I got back on them quick when the numbers went sky high again. So sometimes diet and exercise has nothing to do with your cholesterol levels, it's inherited. (From someone who averages over 20,000 steps a day and eats perfectly.)
    I thought I remembered something about weight loss causing a rise in cholesterol, to do with the fat clearing from your body. Found this on a google search. Good news it is supposed to be temporary, should resolve when your weight finally stabilizes.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2035468