Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Ibleedblue

Bad habits die hard

Rate this Entry
I could really use some advice. I'm 7 months post op, I've lost 65 pounds and I'm almost to goal. I was doing great. Then I had a major life change. My oldest daughter moved out and while I'm happy for her, I am all of a sudden going thru a huge depression. Ive been eating my way thru it, I know it's awful. I can't stop. I wake up and tell myself it is a new day and I can do this, I know all the things to do. But inevitably I end up eating sugar, carbs, fast food, I feel terrible. After just a week or two I can see my weight going back up. I feel helpless. For the last two days I've made a serious effort but I'm starving all the time. I'm scared that I can't stop. Has anyone else sabotaged themselves and then gotten back on the right path? How did u do it?

Submit "Bad habits die hard" to Digg Submit "Bad habits die hard" to del.icio.us Submit "Bad habits die hard" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bad habits die hard" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

yes, i have been taking care of a mother who has been ill..but i just started new the next day.
    first, you know what you need to do..
    take a day and get off sugar..it is sugar that makes you want sugar..i know easier said than done..but that is really the key..

and remember you just took out 85% of your stomach...do you really want to gain weight and mess up your metabolism more?
    and then of course there is some counseling...that can help..
    i will tell you that i have 4 children..they have moved out..moved back in..moved away and all came back home..
    the real thing you need to know is that you need to keep in touch with her all the time.. if you do..it will all be ok...that is what motherhood is..loving letting go and being there when things go wrong..or if they need you..
    my kids are all grown up and they all live by me now..crazy...but true..
    there was a time when they lived all over the world..(seriously..3 differnt countries) and you know what i did...called them..stayed in their lives..sent them care packages..it was great.. use this time, not to mourn but to grow in a new phase with your daughter...
    The first child leaving is the worst, when mine left for college I almost died! It was like you were married to someone for 18 years and they just walked out the door. So I feel your pain.

(By the third is was like "Bye, have fun!" with us parents jumping up and down in excitement after he left.)

That being said, you'll have to suck it up and get yourself back on track. Follow the rules, protein first, without that you will be hungry all the time. Take a walk, it will make you feel better mentally and physically. You can do it! There will always be "life" happening, and we can't use that as an excuse to be the healthy people we want to be.
    I'd make sure you get plenty of protein in. And drink your water to keep you full. I found that under stress I needed a distraction so I bought a book I wanted to read and also got what they call an adult coloring book, it has nature scenes and geometrical designs and such. There is one done by a psychology group that is sposed to have images that calm you, I got it to distract me during this stressful time I've been going through. My husband is going through a medical problem and I needed something to do with my hands.
    Don't give up, you have already come this far. Everyone has given you some great advice. Its hard. Being a aren't is never an easy job. And btw, damn girl you look way too young to have a daughter leaving the house and going to college. LUCKY!!!
    Anyhow, its better she is going off to college vs. moving in with a BF because shes prego positive and negative side to things.

You need to eliminate the sugars/carbs. One at a time if you have to. The sugar addiction is what has you. Decrease it, if you cant stop it all at once or be the BIG BOSS I know you are and kick that sugar in the face and tell it to stay the F(*% Away ! Throw it all OUT! Get it out the HOUSE! Exercise with a friend. -walk, go fishing, try something new and fun, that has nothing to do with fun. Use this forum and other support groups to keep you focused. Put up old pictures of your heavier self, on the mirror, by the snacks and fridge. Hang up some of your clothes to the wall-pants/shirts so you can visualize where you don't want to be again.

Best of luck girly. You can do it.
    I AM GOING TO MAKE A CONFESSION....I COULD NOT WAIT FOR MY KIDS TO LEAVE HOME AND START THEIR OWN LIVES. YAHOO...I FELT THAT THIS WAS MY JOB, I TAUGHT THEM ALL THEY NEEDED TO BECOME INDEPENDENT FREE AND CONFIDENT. WHEN THE LAST ONE LEFT I FELT SUCH A SENSE OF FREEDOM THAT NOW I COULD REALLY GET ON WITH MY NEXT CHAPTER.

OF COURSE I AM REFERRING TO PHYSICAL FREEDOM...THEY ARE ALWAYS IN MY MIND AND HAVE MY FULL SUPPORT.

THIS IS A LEARNING CURVE FOR YOU. HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON.
    HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON.
    Thank you for the support everyone! The thing is, I knew she was leaving and I thought I was prepared for it and though we talk everyday it still really sucks not having her here. Night time is the worst, but that being said I am formulating a plan of action. I started today with the "no sugar" plan - which I agree is hard but it does make a difference. I have been running (well jogging very slowly but hey its a start) every night and that helps.
    My daughter goes to the mortuary science college nearby (I know...right?) so she has been going for two semesters. But she bought a house (!!!) and since there is no mortgage on it, it was just kind of hitting me - she is never going to live with me ever again, Dont get me wrong Im really proud of her but Im just a little heartbroken.
    Everything you guys said made sense - and I am going to do my best to tell myself that what I did was a LIFELONG change - not just a diet that I keep until something goes wrong in my life. I am truly living a blessed life and Im trying to stay positive.
    \Thank you again for the support
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLitteRock
    Don't give up, you have already come this far. Everyone has given you some great advice. Its hard. Being a aren't is never an easy job. And btw, damn girl you look way too young to have a daughter leaving the house and going to college. LUCKY!!!
    Anyhow, its better she is going off to college vs. moving in with a BF because shes prego positive and negative side to things.

You need to eliminate the sugars/carbs. One at a time if you have to. The sugar addiction is what has you. Decrease it, if you cant stop it all at once or be the BIG BOSS I know you are and kick that sugar in the face and tell it to stay the F(*% Away ! Throw it all OUT! Get it out the HOUSE! Exercise with a friend. -walk, go fishing, try something new and fun, that has nothing to do with fun. Use this forum and other support groups to keep you focused. Put up old pictures of your heavier self, on the mirror, by the snacks and fridge. Hang up some of your clothes to the wall-pants/shirts so you can visualize where you don't want to be again.

Best of luck girly. You can do it.
    I think I have a few grays after this week - lol!! but thank you for the compliment
    I go through this everytime my daughter leaves for the summer to her dads. It really hits me hard and my heart feels so empty, actually aches. I usually start a new bible study, my heart has this empty void and I need to fill it, God is the only thing that has really ever worked for me in this area of my life otherwise I fill it with bad stuff that does me more harm than good. Find a womans support group, it helps. Prayer and the truth need to to be spoken into the deep hurting place for sure. Hang in there, I know the pain but this too shall pass. There is a good plan for your individual life now and you just have to find what that means. If you need encouragement and a voice to hear ya, call me 808-346-0178
    I so remember how devastated I was at the end of 2006 when my youngest daughter moved out and I was all alone. I was so depressed. I'm sure I overate to medicate my sadness. Fast forward 8 years and she moved back in last summer (leaving behind her husband and 2 sons) and now it's driving me crazy that she is here! I guess I got used to doing everything exactly my way and not having to adjust to another person's moods and stuff all over (it doesn't help that she is bipolar). So now I overeat because I want her to move out so badly, but at the moment she is unemployed, not to mention that she just donated a kidney to a friend a few days ago! I am about 5 months out from my surgery and haven't lost any weight in at least 6 weeks, due to letting sugar sneak back into my life. First I could eat just a little and control it, but I realize I keep eating more and more, and I'm sure that is what is stalling my weight loss. So much for the theory that I kept hearing that in the first 6 months I would lose like crazy no matter what I did!

So I totally sympathize with your feeling of loss - but as others have said, it is a new chapter in your relationship and eventually you will appreciate the new-found freedom that you both have. I need to do what others have advised you - kick sugar to the curb! Good that you are taking action before you went too far in the wrong direction.
    I'm almost 7 months out and I can see how easy it is to get back into old snacking habits. There are lots of foods that I found I can have quite a lot of and that is worrisome. I have a hard time in the afternoon... I just feel like munching!

One thing that is helping me though is hot tea. When I feel the urge to munch I'll go make me a hot mug of decaf tea. First, the liquid helps me feel full. But I think a big benefit is that, since it's hot I have to sip it slowly and it takes me a long time to finish it and by the time I'm done, I feel full and enough time has passed where I am over my weak moment. Plus, I add sweetener (sometimes stevia and sometimes honey) and it satisfies a little bit of my sweet tooth.

Of course, it doesn't have to be tea. I've done it with some hot cocoa mix, too.. I think it was the sugar free kind. The point is to distract yourself with something else, preferably something not as bad for you. Or even something good for you. I started having another protein smoothie every afternoon too, partially to get in more protein and fiber and partially to keep my munching habit at bay. I mix ice, one cup of water, a few frozen blueberries and strawberries and some vanilla protein powder in the blender. It's super simple and tastes good and it takes me a while to drink it all, so it's a great distraction from eating anything else.

Anyway, good luck! You look fabulous and are doing so well! Keep it up!