Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Mercy Nurse

Thoughts and Thanks

Rate this Entry
As my day to have surgery is vastly approaching (August31), I like everyone else have been planning for this day in what seems like forever. I am thinking of this as my Un-Birthday of sorts - my second chance at life, my time to make it right, a reason to celebrate every year.

I have had plenty of time to reflect, read, educate, listen and learn. And like so many here, just wanted take time to say Thanks. I've often silently checked in when my time permits to read your progress and marvel at your milestones. I have gained immeasurable knowledge that is going to be the building blocks of my foundation. And please know, that even though I don't often take time to comment on your posts, I am appreciative that you have shared your experiences.

To share a little of my most recent pre-op planning, (I'll be sure to let you know if any of this was worth my time)... I have done the following:

* Concerned about the hair loss, that so many dread, I have been taking Zinc and Biotin supplements for the last 6 months. My hair is in the best shape of my life right now! My thought has been why wait for it to happen, support growth and nourishment before, during and after. I'm killing it.... in a good way.

* I have been a protein mess. Really. Hate everything about it, from smell, to texture to taste. It does not get any worse than me. But, thanks to a friend I met on here, that has my same surgeon, that lives in my same town, I am now a Protein lover. The product is called GenePro and it has been my saving grace. 1TBS = 30 grams of protein, mixes in hot and cold, completely tasteless and flavorless, dissolves like magic. If this were a man, I'd marry it.

* One more thing. I pre made some killer, homemade chicken and beef broth for my post-op days. I bought the packet you can mix in a bind/hurry and although I think it may be good for the first few days because it is so bland, it is not going to cut it long term. So I set aside some time and slow roasted -every meat morsel with celery, carrots and onions. Drained it all through a tight woven wire colander. I froze the broth into square ice cube trays, ready to reheat at a moments notice and full of satisfying, homemade flavor. I softly pureed the carrots, onions and celery-with a little broth and froze them into a smaller round ice cube tray, and did the same with the meats. The broth allowed for a smoother consistency and allowed me to roll the meats into tiny meatball sized portions to freeze and save for later. I also used the mini ice cube tray to freeze ready to expire -or amounts not consumed of greek yogurt. - a yummy frozen treat for down the pike.

If you are having surgery around the same time as me, I'd love to be friends and share the journey together. I would love to hear what is working and (unfortunately), I would like to learn from your mistakes as well. I am going to make an honest effort to share mine and hopefully someone out there... a silent reader like me.... will take a bit and use it their foundation, too.

Best wishes, readers! xo

Submit "Thoughts and Thanks" to Digg Submit "Thoughts and Thanks" to del.icio.us Submit "Thoughts and Thanks" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thoughts and Thanks" to Google

Comments

Love your preparation and can so relate to your goals / hopes / dreams. As long as you understand the sleeve needs your help and a new lifestyle to help you be successful, you're golden. Very best to you!
    Good luck to you! The surgery will definitely change your life and outlook on certain aspects of eating. Although I eat less these days, food has become more enjoyable.
    Hey there! I'm not much of a talker either but I do like to read and learn. You sound well-prepared!
    Good luck!!!
    Yes, good luck!! I too hated protein before sleeve..and now find out i like it..especially cottage cheese..yum!! amazing..our tastes do change..so expect some of that..and when you get that fruit..oh my it is so yummy!! i of course prior to surgery was a carb queen ..amazing when i see how much i have changed...but again..like ann says it is a lifestyle change..and that is what we all are working on..one day at a time ..one foot in front of the other...
    You are already doing awesome! All the hard work and preparation you are putting into it really shows how dedicated you are to this process. That's the difference between those that are successful and those that aren't... dedication. I'm sure you'll do wonderfully!

I look forward to hearing more about your journey! I expect great things!!
    Thank you for the kind comments and well wishes everyone! Didishae, your comment brought me to tears... Truly heartfelt, I am dedicated, just needed to hear those words, I guess? I've been emotional the last few days... Fearing the unknown.... And hearing that you think I am going to be ok, has eased my mind. Thank you...and blessings to all.