Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

neaty521

Low Carb Pre-op Diet day 15

Rate this Entry
TMI but luckily the first week and a half of the diet, I was on my monthly lady issue and my cravings were not the worst. I am on birth control and have not had a cycle in months, so when it came back, IT WAS HORRIBLE. It put me off food a bit and the only pain I could focus on was my cramps.

More to the real point of this post:

I always knew I loved carbs, but I did not know it was a full blown addiction. I used to say, that nothing satisfies me like carbohydrates. If I ever had a meal without carbohydrates, my stomach would still growl and I felt as if I hadn't eaten much. One day last month I had a meal consisting of half a jar of pasta sauce, 200 grams of mince meat and 1 whole zucchini in a noodle form. And even with all that, my stomach was still growling. The amount of food on my plate was crazy, and I was still hungry...I then knew I needed to try and kick this. In my desperation, I had a piece of toast that night and finally, I was satisfied. What on earth!?

Without much faith, I started the low carb diet hoping that everything I read was true. At that point, I was super special (like we all are) and what worked for others was never going to work for me. The idea of not craving carbohydrates was nothing more than a myth to me. I just knew that I would never be satisfied with out them and I went in knowing I would fail.

So as you all know I am doing a 30 day pre-op diet. I decided to do the first two weeks of weening myself off carbohydrates. I am doing 1 or two protein shakes, then a low carb, low fat, high protein meal at night. The last two weeks will be very strict, 2 shakes and low to no carbs at dinner. Some days at work I do have a small meal for lunch. I think this is just tiny food funerals. I think about how long it will be since I will be able to have this food again, and I have a small portion. Its horrible, and my self control is out the window at times. But I don't over eat, it is low carb and not very many calories. But to my surprise, the small servings I have always satisfy me!

I am able to limit my carbohydrate intake though. If the meal in the day has a potato or bread element to it, then my nightly meal is a low carb veg and a meat. And that is enough for me. FOR ME?? I have no had any pasta or rice since starting this. (And pasta was a big one). Every so often I have a piece of bread with a meat, as my simple carb of the day if I am having one. But magically my cravings are gone. I can eat a meal without carbs and feel satisfied for hours.

Do I like carbs? Hell to the yes! Is a low carb pizza with no bread base tasty? NO... I hate it. Carb substitutes are not yummy to me. At this point its more about the combination of flavors and textures. If I cant have it just the way I want it, I just leave it. And that is okay with me. I don't go on thinking about how much i would love a slice of pizza or a sandwich.

I can say that I do get more headaches than I am used too. But I have always suffered from low energy and exhaustion, so I have not been able to notice a difference. One would think I could continue to go on and there is no need for surgery, but I am not even going to think like that. The surgery is going to be a tool for me to continue my better habits. I hope everything goes well and I continue to feel motivated.

Thanks for listening!

Submit "Low Carb Pre-op Diet day 15" to Digg Submit "Low Carb Pre-op Diet day 15" to del.icio.us Submit "Low Carb Pre-op Diet day 15" to StumbleUpon Submit "Low Carb Pre-op Diet day 15" to Google

Comments

Hi Neaty, we all love carbs, whats not to love about them... really, haven't found a carb that grossed me out, personally. Now wheres the long lists of veggies and ys even some fruits go on that gross list. Glad to hear and see your commitment. You can do it. Is the doctor having you do a 15 day low carb pre-op or is this something you are doing on your own?

Some ideas for low carbs-to trick your body into thinking you are having carbs

if you take a low carb tortilla, put it in a baking bowl or tortilla bowl if you have one, put it in the oven-you can turn it into crispy shell taco salad

or cut the tortilla up in pieces, still put it in the oven, and have low carb tortilla chips with salsa. I bake mine at 250 and just watch it.

You can use that same type of tortilla, just keep it flat, to turn it into a thin crust pizza of your choice. I've done that and/or use flavored wraps that are low carb and/or pita bread that is low carb and enjoy your pizza.

I have other ideas, but cant think of others, but hope this helps
    yep...that IS how we all got here..and now we have to relearn those habits!
    That's such a great idea!! I have wraps at the moment but no idea what to do with them.

And no, I was not put on a diet at all. I was told to drop 22 pounds in the two months before the operation. The doc said that the weight loss would lead to a reduction in my liver before the surgery. I did a bit of reading and discovered that low carbs, high protein decreases the fat in the liver. So I decided to do just that.

Thanks for your input both of you!
    May I ask how much your doctor wants you to lose in the 30 days? Because I was put on that same diet before my surgery. I was to have 2 Glucernas in the morning and 1 for lunch and then a low carb high protein diet for lunch and NO snacking. And I lost like 20 lbs. He wanted me to lose 30 but that didn't work out lol.. But I still had the surgery