Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

RehabNurse

Very sore calves!

Rate this Entry
On Tuesday afternoon, I did 45 minutes of step aerobics at home on a stepping platform before going to work. I deliberately chose that timing for a couple of specific reasons:

1. My calves usually become too sore too walk about 24 hours after I've done step aerobics or stair-climbing for the first time in a very long time. This is due to delayed onset muscle soreness (abbreviated D.O.M.S.).

2. If I exercised right before going to work, I would not feel the soreness while at work. Due to past experience, the calf soreness strikes about 24 hours later and lingers for up to 72 hours.

3. I knew I'd have Wednesday and Thursday off work to 'recover.'

Well, as predicted, my calves started becoming sore on Wednesday afternoon. Today, they're so sore that I have difficulty walking. By tomorrow afternoon, I predict that the soreness will start to ease up. As much as I want to work through this soreness to exercise, I realize I need to take it slow because I'm deconditioned due to a sedentary lifestyle over the past 18 months. Therefore, I'll wait until this soreness subsides before working out again.

Submit "Very sore calves!" to Digg Submit "Very sore calves!" to del.icio.us Submit "Very sore calves!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Very sore calves!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good on you for doing that step-work!

I wouldn't wait until all the soreness goes away before you exercise those muscles again. Feeling sore right after beginning a new exercise is normal. It's temporary and won't hurt that bad after a few more sessions.

Here's a great description of muscle soreness after exercise and how to regard it and respond to it. Bottom line - keep moving.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaye...uscle_soreness
    I agree with above and stretch stretch stretch. I can't stress that enough. I bet you will feel so much better if you took a walk and then a nice stretch.