Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

RehabNurse

Three months out... An update

Rate this Entry
I'm a little more than three months out. While I am pleased I've lost a total of 41 pounds (34 pounds after the sleeve), I am somewhat disappointed I only lost 6 pounds in the past month. However, I figured I would be a slower loser than many other people due to my metabolic issues. I've got hypothyroidism and insulin resistance. Also, my metabolism is beat down due to decades of yo-yo dieting.

I admit I haven't really exercised since being sleeved. This is because I've got chronic hives that are debilitating and intense. After about 10 minutes of exercise I'll break out in the worst itching and heat ever. I've had this problem on and off since 2004, but it's really been bad in the past year.

A few weeks ago I started taking a magnesium glycinate supplement and walked into serendipity: it greatly eased my hives! While my hives aren't completely gone, they're now manageable with over-the-counter antihistamines such as Claritin.

It's time to make a change, so today I exercised for the first time since being sleeved. I power-walked for one hour at a local park that has an extensive walking trail with scenery such as trees, creek beds, and small wooden bridges. My heart was pumping throughout the workout and I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow. The nicest part is that I didn't break out in welts during my walk. To be safe, I premedicated with Claritin and ChlorTrimeton a few hours before going to the park.

Submit "Three months out... An update" to Digg Submit "Three months out... An update" to del.icio.us Submit "Three months out... An update" to StumbleUpon Submit "Three months out... An update" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What great news! That was a lucky break.
    6 pounds in a month is great progress! nothing to sneeze about (a little allergy humor) I think that you're doing fantastic!!
    As long as the scale is moving downward instead of upward, I will take whatever I can get. In addition, I am able to 'go shopping' around in my closet because some clothes that were too small for me are now fitting comfortably.
    I have low thyroid, insulin resistance, PCOS and I have managed to surpass my initial weight loss goal. I tend to lose weight a pound for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden five are gone, not a steady pace. Hang in there, my weight loss has not broken any records but it is happening.

No starchy carbs, at least one protein shake a day, veggies and protein. I had to keep the faith even when the scale was not moving because I knew I was doing everything right. I did not exercise for the first 6 months but now I am hiking and the weight continues to come off. People with our issues have to be pretty close to perfect diet wise but getting sleeved makes sticking to the diet much easier. My insulin is still high...I'm 2x higher than I should be but before surgery I was 7x higher. I'm still on thyroid meds, down from 3 grains to 1. Still vigilant but very relaxed now because I found what works for me.
    Congrats on your weight loss journey!
    Quote Originally Posted by 31startingBMI
    Congrats on your weight loss journey!
    Thank you!