Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

aldugan

Concerned…NEED FEEDBACK

Rate this Entry
Okay, so I posted in the forum about nibbling all day and someone posted back that what I was doing was very bad. Now I am really concerned!

In the mornings I get up and eat either cereal with skim milk or grits. After I have finished my breakfast is when I fix my protein drink (takes me all day to drink,so I sip on it all day, but if I drink my protein I don't get my water in). Then, for lunch I eat either grilled chicken, vegetables, gumbo juice, mac-n-cheese bowl, etc. and the same for dinner. Now, here's what I find myself doing…nibbling on whatever I fixed for lunch all throughout the day…since I am only able to take a couple of bites and I'm full. This is what the person said was really bad to do (and I have felt this wasn't good that's why I posted to get responses).
The problem is after a hour or so I feel hungry again (now, am I really hungry or is it all in my mind…old habits?).
I am also concerned with not getting enough protein in as well as calories. Getting less than 600 calories a day in.

I would appreciate any feed back regarding this. I DO NOT want this all to be for nothing!!!!!!

Submit "Concerned…NEED FEEDBACK" to Digg Submit "Concerned…NEED FEEDBACK" to del.icio.us Submit "Concerned…NEED FEEDBACK" to StumbleUpon Submit "Concerned…NEED FEEDBACK" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I responded to the post. Take a look.
    I wouldn't say it's really really really really bad however, It's not great. The fact of the matter you both are missing is, if you had the sleeve, then you no longer have hunger pangs. It's mental NOT hunger. We are used to eating or grazing throughout the day without the sleeve so we are programmed to do this. The top part of the stomach that surceets fluid which the drops into the bottom of your stomach into the stomach acids has been removed. When the top fluid drops into the stomach acids at the bottom of your stomach, when the fluids are combined it sends a message to your brain telling it that your stomach is empty and that you are hungry.

I don't agree that nibbling will make you gain your weight back. I would suggest drinking more liquids to give you the sensation of being full. Go for low calorie snacks, like cold sugar free jello is good as when it's cold it is more volumness than normal. I tend to freeze red grapes and eat them frozen. They are frozen so they stay in your mouth longer than normal and it gives you the sensation of a substantial amount of food. And low calorie, natural sugar. That's my go to snack.

Mind over matter. You can do it. I hope you get more positive feedback. You shouldn't be beat down for asking a question. We are not doctors and can only give experiences that we have gone through personally. I had the lap and for 5 years and I nibbled and I went from 296lbs to 140lbs and maintained with nibbling. My band slipped and was removed in 2009. I know have a gastric sleeve. So, if you feel you need to nibble, do it, but be cautious and smart about what you are nibbling on. I refuse to deprive myself because that turns into beconing resentful that you can't eat it and you may binge. So, be smart but listen to your stomach, it's not telling you that you're hungry. I promise!!! It's all in your head. Hehe.

You can do this!! You got this. You were ready for surgery and you had it. Now you're ready to lose weight and you can do it. Weigh weekly on Sunday, after your first morning urination and weigh naked. Don't become obsessive, weigh weekly. That's how I do it. Again, not a doctor but have had some personal experiences I can share.

Don't judge your fellow sleever. Give them knowledgable feedback and positive reinforcement to help them through their experience.

Stay focused and you'll be successful.
    -GW
    From my experience if I have protein first before anything else I get full. Maybe you should change up breakfast to a higher protein meal. Good luck I think that will be the key to your problem.
    FYI - my dr.s plan allows me to drink water before/during/after drinking protein shakes. Also I'm not sure where you are in your weight loss journey but if you are still in the losing process you might want to re-think the mac-n-cheese.
    GW- thanks so much for your input. I take everyones input and do what is best for me.

Thanks traci816 and GoPackGo.
    the issue is you dont want to learn to graze or eat around your sleeve, but in the begining you are learning...so take it as a time to learn...
    aldugan, I agree with most things posted above.

In your shoes, only a month post-op, I'd avoid all high-carb foods like cereal, grits, mac-and-cheese, all pastas, potatoes, white rice, breads -- especially since you're only a month out right now. Those foods just make us feel hungry sooner.

Instead, focus right now on other high-protein foods, like the chicken you mentioned, Greek yogurt (without sugar), cottage cheese, high-protein beans, skim milk, etc. If you have to use more protein drinks to get all your protein in right now, that would be fine, IMO.

Re the grazing, it's not that the extra calories are a problem now (since you can't eat all that much with your poor, swollen little tummy). It's that you're building (or reinforcing) a bad habit.

Two months out, you'll be able to eat more. Three months out, you'll be able to eat even more. Ditto six months out. And if you're used to eating "all day long," that will become a big challenge.

One final thought ... many patients’ new stomachs produce more acid post-op than they did pre-op. This extra acid mimics hunger. If you're not taking an antacid, you probably should do so. After surgery, my surgeon prescribed a "PPI" (stronger antacid Rx) called Protonix, which really helped. I took it until about 6 months post-op. I now take Ranitidine / Zantac again (like I did pre-op). Not saying your situation is like mine, but just offering up what worked for me.
    Ann2 is right on!
    Ann2, thanks so much. All this helps out so much.
    Yeah, I totally agree with Ann.

One thing I wanted to suggest is if you are eating real food, are you able to get enough protein in without the shakes. I have learned that for me, all they did was fill me up and add to my ginormous sweet tooth. I hear of people eating their regular meals, snacks, AND eating protiein bars and shakes. That would be way too many calories and carbs for me. I esp agree with the others about rethinking macc and cheese. Even now after 3 years, I will have a few bites AFTER I have eaten most of my protein and veggies. When I was losing, I just avoided it altogether. To make up for it, I woul stirfry veggies (I love broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini) and piled the cheese on to melt. It was just as good to me and few carbs.

My best wishes to you. It sounds like you are early out and you will have your ups and downs, but process all the advice and do what is working for you! Melissa
    I agree about the cereal and mac and cheese. I'd cut all the carbs completely. I get a jr. breakfast burrito at Sonic sometimes or Bean/chicken soft taco (with no rice) at taco bell and just eat some of the insides with a fork, never the burrito. A. It makes me feel full, B. I want to get off the carb cravings and not get back into the habit. I LOVED cereal, but I haven't bought any since surgery.
    I have been eating about 4 times a day. I eat breakfast about 9, lunch at 1130, snack about 2 (usually yogurt or finish some more the chicken/cheese/veggie/fruit from lunch), and usually I'm pretty full for the day but I can sometimes get a few ounces in at dinner of something. But, Dinner, I usually just want to finish the protein left from lunch, a yogurt, or a milk protein shake (I use unflavored plant based powder) with PB2 - a peanut butter powder, and a scoop of cottage cheese just for added thickness and protein (can't taste it). I have been able to get the protein shake down faster in the evening than in the morning, the morning it takes hours and by then it's gross and I don't want to finish it.

Maybe keep in mind PORTION SIZE. If you can stick to the 3-4ounce meal size, I think 4-5 times would be OK. I envision the little glad cups that are 4 oz. If I have eaten more than that in a sitting, I will not allow myself to eat again til the next "big" meal. And if all you can have is 4oz, it better be good protein or you 'will' be hungry.
    my shakes are about the size of the baby bullet jars.

My proteins are about 50-65 / day doing this, I really can't imagine doing more but I wish I could. There was a cute british girl on youtube that was saying she got bored of food and wasn't eating enough. Sometimes I feel like that; focusing on all the protein is boring/laborous, but I know that's what will work, along with more more than 4 oz portions.

let me know how it goes!
    Are you sure you don't have reflux? Acid can create a feeling like hunger which isn't. If you're not treating for reflux, you might try a PPI and see if that helps reduce the hungry feeling.

One option that might help is some dense protein at breakfast rather than cereal. An egg, or some cold meat or salmon? Keep you feeling fuller longer.

Another option for upping your calories if you feel the need is switching to full fat milk.

Good luck