Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Jinoshio.Sote

Lean Body Mass

Rate this Entry
I recalculated my goal weight.

Before I just grabbed a number that sounded good (reachable) out of thin air and plugged it in. Now, I've learned that there is a far better method than just guessing what weight is best for me.

My Lean Body Mass is 163 lbs. This is how much just my bones and muscles weigh. Wow.

A woman needs more % fat than a man does (Yippee for me!) LOL

10 - 13 % is Essential. I should never have less than this much fat on my body.
14 - 20 % is Athletic, for professionals, olympians, etc... nope not me
21 - 24 % is Fit - or physically active and healthy
25 - 31 % is Acceptable

I am opting for Fit. So, I recalculated my goal weight by dividing my LBM by my chosen %fat. The equation looks like this 163/(1-21) or (.79) = 206

Now, I just need to keep up with my protein intake, work out regularly at the gym, keep my sugar and carbs low, drink tons of water, and get good sleep. You know - live healthy.

It felt really good to know that there was a logical way to chose my goal weight. If my LBM changes - and it probably will as I lose more weight - I will just recalculate. Whoo-hoo! Go me!

Whatchya think?

Submit "Lean Body Mass" to Digg Submit "Lean Body Mass" to del.icio.us Submit "Lean Body Mass" to StumbleUpon Submit "Lean Body Mass" to Google

Comments

How many grams of sugar and carbs are we supposed to try and stay below in a day?
    I would love to try this the BMI scale is such a downer, how do you figure you're lean body mass? The equation to figure this out would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavidson
    How many grams of sugar and carbs are we supposed to try and stay below in a day?
    When reading a nutrition label, I am supposed to focus on foods that have less than 5g sugar and 20g carbs. (I am pulling this from memory - I see my dietitian tomorrow and will reconfirm the numbers) When it comes to good fats, like diary and yogurt, I can have more wiggle room. I prefer full fat Greek yogurts, because they have higher fat, but much lower sugar and carbs - but they are very hard to find. Sadly, our country is addicted to nonfat everything! Which is far higher in sugar and carbs than most people realize. Luckily, I am now in love with Fage Greek yogurt. They have a full fat line, but finding it is like pulling teeth. At least their nonfat w/fruit has the lowest sugar and carbs I have seen so far per serving: Sugar 15g, Carbs 17g
    Quote Originally Posted by rhobysgrl
    I would love to try this the BMI scale is such a downer, how do you figure you're lean body mass? The equation to figure this out would be great.
    My dietitian has a special scale that she uses to weigh me: a Tanita Body Composition Analyzer. Charlotte (my dietitian) enters my gender, age, and height. I have to take off my socks and shoes so that the scale can get an accurate reading via the metal foot sensors.

Then the machine does the rest: I get my weight, BMI, BMR, IMPEDANCE, FAT%, FAT MASS, FFM, TBW, etc. It even provides what my predicted weight will be @ 30% BMI - but that is just a guideline.

With the data Charlotte calculates my water intake, letting me know if I need to increase or maintain. Water intake is important for the muscles. Without water I can't maintain the muscle mass I want.

FFM - Free Fat Mass (or Lean Body Mass) is everything in the body that is not fat; muscle, water, bone, connective tissue, etc. Muscle acts as the body's natural fat-burning engine, therefore it is important to maintain or even gain healthy muscle mass when exercising or dieting. So, my goal is not really to lose weight - but to gain muscle. The more muscle I have, eventually, the less fat there will be.
    Thanks so much I will check with my dietician