Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

kchopkins

Approaching My One Year Surgiversary

Rate this Entry
In a little over a month, I'll be one year since my sleeve surgery. So many things have changed for me. Even though at the start I felt like I'd made a huge mistake, today I am very much thankful for this journey and for the fact I was lucky enough to be able to have this procedure.

Though I still struggle with consistent weight loss, overall I've lost 103 lbs from my highest ever weight. And for that I am truly thankful. I still have a way to go but know now that it IS possible if I work for it. I can't always rely on my sleeve make it happen for me.

One thing I never thought possible is my new love for working out. Don't get me wrong, I still HATE sweating. Like, A LOT. But I am able to do more now than I ever thought possible. Like run a 5K. Participate in the Special Olympics Relay Torch Run...and even compete in the North Carolina Warrior Dash. If you knew me a year ago, you'd be laughing your butt off at me even thinking about doing any one of those things...but here is the proof!
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unified-Relay-06-4-2015-Selfie.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	24520

Name:	Warrior Dash.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	807.9 KB 
ID:	24521

I am so much happier now. I know food will always be a struggle for me. But I feel so much more prepared to face the challenge than ever before. And I never, EVER want to go back to this:

Name:	Before 7.23.14.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	342.1 KB 
ID:	24522

Submit "Approaching My One Year Surgiversary" to Digg Submit "Approaching My One Year Surgiversary" to del.icio.us Submit "Approaching My One Year Surgiversary" to StumbleUpon Submit "Approaching My One Year Surgiversary" to Google

Comments

wow!! what a life you lead!! Thanks for the encouraging photos..best of luck to you!
    Congratulations! You (we) got your life back. It is the best!
    HI! Congrats on your major success- that is awesome.

I LOVE that you stated that food is still a struggle. I have a hard time not having ice cream- never used to like it. Now I crave it every SINGLE DAY! ANd I feel like I eat like I did before the sleeve- you get so used to eating like a baby that when you can eat 6 buffalo wings you freak- LOL!

[U]Question: [/U]I so badly want to do a 5K. How long does it usually take? I have this fear I am going to be the last person finished and be so embarrassed! But I have always wanted to do it!

Thanks, keep up the hard work!
    Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringRose
    HI! Congrats on your major success- that is awesome.

I LOVE that you stated that food is still a struggle. I have a hard time not having ice cream- never used to like it. Now I crave it every SINGLE DAY! ANd I feel like I eat like I did before the sleeve- you get so used to eating like a baby that when you can eat 6 buffalo wings you freak- LOL!

[U]Question: [/U]I so badly want to do a 5K. How long does it usually take? I have this fear I am going to be the last person finished and be so embarrassed! But I have always wanted to do it!

Thanks, keep up the hard work!
    Spring
    You know I had the exact same fear. And quite frankly that fear is what drove me NOT to be last! I actually started with just doing a 5k fun run/walk. Then I knew I wouldn't be competing so much as I'd just be trying to do the best I could. It took me 46 minutes the first time. And I wasn't happy with the time but definitely happy I finishedwithout stopping.

I keep at it every day. Not always running but at least making sure I get a good walk in. And now I'm under 35 minutes for 3 miles. Which still shocks me!

Honestly, if you knew me before surgery, hell even before I gained weight, the thought of me running was laughable. Now I just want to get better and better. It's taken me a year, and I'll never be the fastest, but I'm ok with that.

As for food...you got it sister. It's HARD! I'm a complete sugar addict. But just thinking about how far I've come keeps me from going completely overboard. It is a daily struggle though. But we can do it!!