Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Pushyourself

Struggling with post op diet liquids

Rate this Entry
I'm 10 days post op and not that I'm hungry, but I just want to chew on everything in sight. Soup, protein shakes, water, etc.... Just don't fit the bill! Anyone else struggle with this? What to do? I still have a week and a half with liquids!

Submit "Struggling with post op diet liquids" to Digg Submit "Struggling with post op diet liquids" to del.icio.us Submit "Struggling with post op diet liquids" to StumbleUpon Submit "Struggling with post op diet liquids" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It is definitely hard. The shakes got to be awful. I stuck with it but a couple times sucked on pretzels or a spoonful of Greek yogurt just to get some variation in texture and flavor. I never chewed or ate the pretzels but it helped to get me through the times I thought I was going to loose my mind. I also switched from the packaged shakes to carnation instant breakfast with no sugar added and skim milk. My doc said it was ok to do and the flavor was much more "real".
    Stick with it. The next phase is right around the corner and you won't believe how great puréed food can taste!!
    I think everyone misses actually eating. Drinking all your meals gets old quick. I wish I could tell you some secret magic trick but the only real answer I can give you is just to be strong and remember why you are doing it. The thought of messing up my sleeve and hurting my brand new stomach was more terrifying than the desire to eat, although sometimes it was very close. I do think that getting some Chinese soup helped a lot though.. I love Chinese food and so I got hot and sour, egg drop, and a few other kinds the last week I had liquids and just avoided the chunks. It was still pretty much broth but tasted like "real food" so it helped me get through that last week. It helped immensely to boost my spirits, so you may give it a try. Or if you're not that into Chinese food just getting soup from a restaurant, whether it's chicken noodle or whatever may help you stay motivated. Just strain it or avoid the chunks!! Good luck!!
    I understand. I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm 11 days out and I want to chew something so bad. I go back to the doctor on Wednesday. I hope I get to move to puréed foods! We can do this!
    Try ice cubes or the ever present...sugarfree Popsicles and crunch both or either and you get liquids!!!
    Go to Olive Garden and get the chicken gnocchi soup... You will take most of it home. It was my most favorite thing at that stage. Try some peanut butter. You will never go back to eating like you used to. You will probably throw up a few times before you learn. Just know that "last bite" is rarely worth it!!!