Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

liveherenow

Returning for some advice

Rate this Entry
OK, here goes the situation ...

I was told by the program coordinator to have my psychiatrist perform the psych evaluation. So I did, almost a month ago. I have been wondering about something my psychiatrist said and need some objective advice.

I have since discovered my psychiatrist does NOT perform psych evaluations for bariatric surgery. She even admitted she did not know exactly the criteria they wanted for the psych evaluation. On hindsight, I think she could be biased against any kind of WLS because all she asked me about was whether I knew the failure rates, if I wanted it (which I said I did), and what would I do if my childhood sexual abuse made me want to eat. When I think about our conversation, she never said anything positive about the gastric sleeve only talked about failing, which made me think I was not really ready.

I have since then decided to wait until 2016 so I can discuss things with my therapist. Plus, my finances have changed so I need to wait anyway.

My questions are how do you determine if the psychologist or psychiatrist who does your evaluation is biased and even qualified to do a bariatric evaluation? Mine admitted I should seek the evaluation at the clinic's psychologist because she doesn't do them. However, she still did something similar to one and never sent the evaluation to the program coordinator.

I am confused as to how accurate the evaluation was and if she was biased before I even opened my mouth about it.

What are y'all's opinion on how to proceed? Granted, I have abuse in my childhood which I have dealt with for years. Whether I lose weight with the sleeve or without it, I will still have moments that I have to deal with it ... As I have all my life.

Am I wrong to question the psych evaluation and the ability of who performed it based on what I have discovered?

Thanks for any insight you can give! My high blood pressure has not improved and am having more frequent chest pain than usual. I have an appointment with my PCP to discuss my hbp among other things. Just wondering if the evaluation was fair and accurate as I have never had one before.

Submit "Returning for some advice" to Digg Submit "Returning for some advice" to del.icio.us Submit "Returning for some advice" to StumbleUpon Submit "Returning for some advice" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I don't think you are wrong for questioning the motives or lack of experience of your psychiatrist with WLS psych evaluations. This professional is focusing on their area of expertise and appears to be focused solely failure rates. It is my opinion that this person is biased or not objective to your situation and thinking that the weight issues are all psychological. My suggestion would be to talk with your program coordinator and see whom they use for psych evaluations. If you are fortunate you might be able to find a Psychologist who has had WLS. Good luck.
    The phychiatrist that I went to was part of a team of doctors recommended by my bariatric surgeon. Maybe you can see if your surgeon has someone that he is able to recommend to you.
    I agree with the others. I went to the psychiatrist that my bariatric surgeon's office recommended. They had a questionnaire they had me feel out that was designed to specifically for this type of thing and the psychiatrist had been working with WLS patients for over 15 years. She knew exactly what to look for to see if I was a good candidate and if I was mentally prepared. She also some wonderful advice for me. Not only that but she had my results back to my surgeons office within a couple of days so honestly the psych evaluation was such a quick, small part of my requirement process sometimes I almost forget I even did it.

Good luck!
    I agree with the others, try and use one that your surgeon recommends. Mines was setup by the surgeon's office and obviously he was part of their process cause I knew before I left that he was going to approve me for the surgery.
    Thank you for the responses! I apologize for not responding sooner; I had to go to the ER for chest pains, dizziness, and shortness of breath. It scared me and now I have an appointment with a cardiologist to do a stress test on Wednesday.

I am going to call the clinic program coordinator this week and let them know that I want someone trained in doing psych evaluations for bariatric surgery. What do I have to lose? It is my life and I feel the need for someone who knows what criteria to look for in a potential WLS patient.

Again, I would like to say thank you for the support and advice you guys have provided. I am so glad I discovered this website and have met such an outstanding group of people. I appreciate all the insight and information I have learned here. Hopefully, I will return when I get the OK for my surgery. I hope everyone finds their way to a better life on this journey. God bless!