Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Tiredofsitting

Gastric Sleeve Question

Rate this Entry
I went to a seminar to find out more about the gastric sleeve though most of what was discussed I was already informed after my extensive research......but the surgeon said that I may have to consider a bypass because of my acid reflux if there is any sign of Barretts Esophagus damage or any indication thereof.......I am really upset and didn't want to press on in the seminar because above all else......I do NOT want a bypass.....has anyone else had a surgeon say this to them when considering surgery....I also have a hiatal hernia which seems to run in our family....even on my healthy weight family members.

Also, I am on Nexium and have been for years, only taken as needed which is usually if I eat something that doesn't agree with me.

Submit "Gastric Sleeve Question" to Digg Submit "Gastric Sleeve Question" to del.icio.us Submit "Gastric Sleeve Question" to StumbleUpon Submit "Gastric Sleeve Question" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Any bariatric dr can do an extra stitching on your esophagus for the acid reflux. They should know about this and it also helps preventing the dumping syndrome. If he doesn't know what I am talking about, then find another dr.
    Thank you so much, I have had such anxiety since yesterday worrying about this....as I stated, I am not even considering the bypass if I can't do the sleeve. Breathing a sigh of relief!!
    I have a friend who had this extra stitching done because she complained of bad acid reflux. VGS is indeed possible. You just need a surgeon who knows about this extra stitch cause it will help you not over eat as well.
    I am only a little over 2 weeks since my surgery, but I've had reflux for years and still had the sleeve. My surgeon found a hiatal hernia, which he repaired at the time of surgery. Since the surgery I've had no reflux and am off the Zantac which I've taken for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazerlily
    I have a friend who had this extra stitching done because she complained of bad acid reflux. VGS is indeed possible. You just need a surgeon who knows about this extra stitch cause it will help you not over eat as well.

I put this in my questions for the surgeon.....he did mention this if there was evidence of Barretts Esophagus as I know this is a serious medical condition....have had endoscopys and my doctor never mentioned anything about evidence of damage just that I had the hiatal hernia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laelle
    I am only a little over 2 weeks since my surgery, but I've had reflux for years and still had the sleeve. My surgeon found a hiatal hernia, which he repaired at the time of surgery. Since the surgery I've had no reflux and am off the Zantac which I've taken for years.

Thank you so much for your response.....will keep this in my notes for the surgeon.
    I did not have a hernia, but my doctor checked prior to surgery because he said it would be an easy fix while he was doing the other surgery. He also checked my gallbladder's health because if it was damaged, it could easily be removed during this procedure. I had really bad reflux prior to the sleeve, but I have only had a few flare ups since having the surgery 8/2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by jduford
    I did not have a hernia, but my doctor checked prior to surgery because he said it would be an easy fix while he was doing the other surgery. He also checked my gallbladder's health because if it was damaged, it could easily be removed during this procedure. I had really bad reflux prior to the sleeve, but I have only had a few flare ups since having the surgery 8/2013.

Great to know, thank you. Keeping this knowledge I have gotten here for my surgeon's appointment......I believe in going in armed with knowledge.
    I had a hiatal hernia and GERD. My surgeon repaired the hernia during the sleeve surgery. In addition, the GERD went away after surgery.
    i had the exact thing said to me by my surgeon..however, they didnt find anything wrong in the endoscopy. i have also been on nexium for 6 years, and i had no guarantees that the acid would not get worse during the sleeve. but i found out that after the sleeve, i have indeed had alot of acid reflux...and nausea..but i am on nexium again. hopefully the nausea will calm down..it is not daily however, and has gotten better since i am able to eat..but it does hit me sometime.
    in saying all that..i feel that same way..there was no way i wanted a bypass..so i was convinced that i wanted the sleeve..i am only 61/2 weeks out..so i dont know about the future..but most days are managed fine with the nexium.
    my doctor told me that hopefully once my body was used to the smaller tummy that the acid would resolve itself..there are people that it doesnt get resolved for..for those unfortunate ones, they have to have a bypass to take care of it..(and yes, the doc told me that) but i am hoping that i will just get better and better since each week seems to be better..
    i have gerd and my surgeon did the sleeve on me i have to take prilosec past six months i tried not taking it today and i have had no problems so i am hoping with the weight i have lost it has hopefully resolved some of my gerd issues i will keep it on hand just in case
    Thank you all, at least I can go there with some information of my own.