Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

stargazerlily

Almost 1 month out!!!

Rate this Entry
This is a little bit about my personal journey but at the end, we are all unique and different, so do not worry....

When I contemplated WLS years ago, I wanted to have the Lap Band. When a tech found a tumor on my left kidney during a routine abdominal ultrasound, all WLS dreams was put to a halt. Fast forward 5 years later and with all of the medical issues related to the Lap Band, I knew the VGS was the right choice for me. I have only had 1 other surgery and I handled that perfectly with no complications, so I thought it would be the same...NOT! hahaha I was nauseas after my VGS surgery, had the worst nursing experience ever (was left in pain for hours and yes, my surgery was at Kaiser in LA). None the less, I wouldn't change my decision for anything in the world.

Coming home getting used to not eating was easy for me at 1st. I have a premier protein drink in the morning and I drink well over 64 oz of water a day (with 1 kidney, this is a MUST). I can eat about 3/4 cup of soup for lunch no problem. I can eat a baby bell cheese for snack, no problem. I can eat 2 oz of chicken, no problem. I can handle chili, refried beans (made healthy), no problem. One problem I have had is the speed that I eat. I notice that I need 20 minutes to sit and eat a meal. I know, I know but this was hard for me. As a nurse, I am used to eating in 15 minutes along with guzzling my water then running back to work. The worst habit ever!! I threw up twice (dumping syndrome) and boy do you learn fast! LOL I now sit, look at the clock and take 20 minutes to eat. From one day to the next, my stomach stopped making the noises and BAM! no more acid reflux, no food coming back up or the feeling of dumping. I finally got it!!! and no worries, you will too. This journey is OURS. It will be what we make of it and for gods sake, please do not compare yourselves to others. We all have different journeys and we all have a different medical history. Although I have lost 23 lbs to date, I was relieved to see my stall as I didn't want to lose too fast.

I am very active. I work full time, go to college and have time for me. I walk as exercise for now and once May 1st hits, I am hitting the gym as hard as my new body will allow.

For the 1st time, I went to a family gathering yesterday and ate, what felt normal. I had about 4 bites of a pork rib, 1/2 of wedge salad and about 10 corn on the cob kernels (yes, hardly anything and this I ate well over an hour). I even ate a few chips, just fine. No tummy noises, no nausea, nothing. I handled it all perfectly and I felt so relieved to just feel "normal". This journey isn't an easy one and you WILL learn along the way. Just be patient with yourself and go with how YOU feel overall. I know I will lose my weight and I know I will be successful. Whatever advice you get, listen but do what your gut tells you. Remember, we are all different and unique.

Last but not least, ENJOY your journey and fall back in love with the new you!!

Submit "Almost 1 month out!!!" to Digg Submit "Almost 1 month out!!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Almost 1 month out!!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Almost 1 month out!!!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Love this!!!!! Thank you for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottytaudi
    Love this!!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you!!
    I love reading this kind of post....giving the facts good and bad but feeling the positive behind it all....I cannot wait to start my journey. Continued success to you and thank you for an informative post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiredofsitting
    I love reading this kind of post....giving the facts good and bad but feeling the positive behind it all....I cannot wait to start my journey. Continued success to you and thank you for an informative post
    Thank you! Just being honest and giving my perspective. Life isn't over after having surgery and others need to know that.
    thanks...sounds like you are doing great....
    Thanks for sharing. I also had kidney cancer 5 years ago and am scheduled for surgery tomorrow! I hope there are no problems with scar tissue and am as successful as you have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by projax5000
    thanks...sounds like you are doing great....
    Hi....I am doing great, little by little everything begins to fall into place. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by jnizzi
    Thanks for sharing. I also had kidney cancer 5 years ago and am scheduled for surgery tomorrow! I hope there are no problems with scar tissue and am as successful as you have been.
    My nephrectomy was 2 years ago (stage 1). My bariatric dr said he had to remove a lot of scar tissue from my nephrectomy, which is why I had so much pain post-op & he also did a scar revision cause my urologist is old school and used staples rather than dermabond (surgical glue). My scar revision is beautiful! Looks like someone took a pen & drew a thin line. You can always pm me if you have questions. Good luck!!!
    Thank you for the post. I knew about the post op diet but was not sure from that point on. I appreciate the post.
    Great post! I am three weeks post-op and remember initially feeling like I was never going to be "normal" again (my definition of normal was to be able to eat at parties, restaurants, etc.). I learned quickly, like you, it's actually pretty simple... a couple of bites of this and that, and I'm full... but I ate with everyone else and what everyone else was eating (with a few exceptions as I am making healthier choices now). No regrets at all and taking time to enjoy my journey!