Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

jonsey14

Pushing thru for Change--BUT

Rate this Entry
Good Day, I'm now 11 days post op and can I say... I hate this! This has been the hardest thing to do, starting with the liquid diet pre-op up toll now. It has been very challenging around my family not being ably to eat but watching them eat constantly. Almost as if they have been eating more just because I can't eat!

Yesterday, I decided enough! I'm going to eat something, so I started looking thru notes to see what I could eat. I got some mash potatoes, blank beans, a roasted chicken leg and some guacamole. I tool a scoop of each trying to to have more than 2 teaspoon of each. Well, I'm sure most of you already know the outcome. Yes I threw it all up, not even finishing my original plate. I was so upset and disquieted with myself. When I finally calmed down, I drank water and went to bed with my tummy growling as usual. All I could think of is what the HECK have I gotten myself into. I HATE THIS!

Now don't think I'm a crybaby or give up too soon. Everyday since being home, I have been walking more and more. As of today I'm up to 2-3 miles and feeling absolutely wonderful! I look forward to getting up everyday and walking and talking to God. I'm headed back to work after next week and I'm afraid. If I'm still not eating how in the world can I survive on mentally on liquids? I'm scared and ultimately I'm hating the decision I've made. I'm not sure if I'm really losing weight cause my close seem to still be tight, how can that be! This is just a lot and very overwhelming. So needless to say, I'm not a happy camper and need any advice anyone is really to give.

Wishing you all a happy weekend

Submit "Pushing thru for Change--BUT" to Digg Submit "Pushing thru for Change--BUT" to del.icio.us Submit "Pushing thru for Change--BUT" to StumbleUpon Submit "Pushing thru for Change--BUT" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Girl, hang in there. this is only the beginning. yes it will be challenging, but the pay off will be great. forget what the family is eating, concentrate on you! get your protein in, it will help.
    I do appreciate your honest feelings, I'm having mine is less than a week. we must be strong sis!!
    Breathe, and know it gets easier and easier. The most important thing is that "it's so worth it." You're having what many of us had, "buyers remorse." It's a big change and takes some getting used to the new lifestyle, but you will find the balance and nothing is as hard as the first couple of months. Look for the new changes, more energy, moving more quickly, and eventually seeing collarbones; and sing the praises of your new lifestyle. It's awesome and once you feel better, you'll never look back. This is coming from someone who is almost 4 years out and is never sorry!! Continued success...
    Easy does it ... I am 22 days post op so im basically right there with you (im not even gone the mention the meals that been cooked in my house) with that being said you only downfall here is trying too many things at once.

Go back and just try 2 oz of mashed potatoes
    Tomorrow try 2 oz of black beans
    Puree or chopped the chicken up very fine and some lite mayo and have at it

BABY steps!! we can do this
    Congrats on your successful surgery. PLEASE please please remember you are in the process of healing from a very serious surgery, so be kind to your body. You don't want another hospital visit...just take it slowly. Remember liquids, proteins and treats could be popsicles( sugar free)... That way you get deserts!
    And I now have an idea...just noticed that you have loss 17 pounds in 11 days...holy smokes...next time your family is ready to chow down and you are not, carry your safe foods along with your weight loss to the dinner table. Go carry 17pounds of food to the table as a reminder to you and your family then Eason rMight just keep your focus!!! And before long, your menu will broaden, just learn what your tummy will tell you to stop...and it will tell you loudly to cut it out
    First of all congrats on taking the right step to have this surgery. Sometimes our mind gets confused and we wonder if we're really hungry or is it just our minds thinking we are.
    As most have said your tummy is healing so be careful. But as time goes on you will get use to your new tummy and the wonderful benefits from having the surgery. Hugs and enjoy the ride. You may have bumps along the way but just keep truckin
    All- thank you, thank you, thank you....I'm sorry that it took me so long to respond but I was really beating myself up. You all have made me feel so much better and given me back the power to keep push and fighting towards the goal of why I started this. I've done so much better this afternoon, I finished one protein drink and had two spoons of plain yogurt. I'm currently sipping on water and will have that sugar free popsicles this evening( thanks Sulanden). I really appreciate all of you advice and coaching, going to try the 2oz of mash potatoes on Sunday (thanks Rosepetals 65) and congrats on your surgery. Puree chicken why didn't I think of that, thought I could chew it enough.....wrong Keep doing your thing (jerzeygirl-4years whoa!). Very best and successful surgery to you (ReRep). You all ROCK! I mean it, I was on the edge bout to jump, you reeled me back. Have a great weekend!
    Oh girl, I'm so sorry you're having a tough time and in a rough spot. I hate to hear that. Just remember that your body is going through so many changes right now and within the next few weeks you'll be able to basically eat whatever you want. This is the hard time (my toughest time was right around 3 weeks...I was just so ready to eat again!!) But like I said, all this passes so fast and pretty soon you will be able to eat with your family again.

Right now since you are still so early out you just need to take it easy but you can still help your mentality by spicing things up. My saving grace was soup from our local Chinese place. They had like 5 different types of soup and I totally loved the egg drop, hot and sour, and one of the sea food ones. I would buy a container and sip on it every time I felt "hungry" and it made me feel like I was eating again... not to mention it was soooo good! I think that soup got me through my tough times. Plus it made me feel like I was indulging myself.... if that makes sense. I didn't feel like I was having to sacrifice and that helped my motivation a lot. There are lots of different soups you can have, especially if you strain them or just don't eat the big chunks. Look around at some local restaurants and see what they have to offer.

Just try to think of your situation as special instead of a punishment. And maybe try to explain to your family that they are making it harder on you and try to limit the amount of food they are eating around you. I know that's hard but at my house my husband tried to cook foods I didn't like that much or they ate a lot of sandwiches and stuff that didn't make a lot of delicious smells in the house.

Just give it a little more time so you can get back on full foods and I think you will feel a lot better. Good luck, lady!!!
    Hi lovely lady, glad to hear from you, how are things going with you? This is a good suggestion, I will make sure to get that egg drop soup, I'm been tearing up this broccoli and cheddar from Panera. Can't stand to have chicken broth again so thanks for the suggestion.

I've seemed to have become more emotional these days, but I'm going to get myself together and do better. I'm generally not such a big baby Took the earlier suggestion of the responses and had my soup and popsicle for dessert. I'm feeling much better and awaiting the next day I have one more week then have to report back to work, just want to make sure that I keep energy levels up to be ably to function at work. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by didishae
    Oh girl, I'm so sorry you're having a tough time and in a rough spot. I hate to hear that. Just remember that your body is going through so many changes right now and within the next few weeks you'll be able to basically eat whatever you want. This is the hard time (my toughest time was right around 3 weeks...I was just so ready to eat again!!) But like I said, all this passes so fast and pretty soon you will be able to eat with your family again.

Right now since you are still so early out you just need to take it easy but you can still help your mentality by spicing things up. My saving grace was soup from our local Chinese place. They had like 5 different types of soup and I totally loved the egg drop, hot and sour, and one of the sea food ones. I would buy a container and sip on it every time I felt "hungry" and it made me feel like I was eating again... not to mention it was soooo good! I think that soup got me through my tough times. Plus it made me feel like I was indulging myself.... if that makes sense. I didn't feel like I was having to sacrifice and that helped my motivation a lot. There are lots of different soups you can have, especially if you strain them or just don't eat the big chunks. Look around at some local restaurants and see what they have to offer.

Just try to think of your situation as special instead of a punishment. And maybe try to explain to your family that they are making it harder on you and try to limit the amount of food they are eating around you. I know that's hard but at my house my husband tried to cook foods I didn't like that much or they ate a lot of sandwiches and stuff that didn't make a lot of delicious smells in the house.

Just give it a little more time so you can get back on full foods and I think you will feel a lot better. Good luck, lady!!!
    oh yeah..there are LOADS of emotions in the begining..but dont worry..everything will get better and better...and do TAKE CARE OF THAT SORE TUMMY of yours!!
    I am in the same boat and 9 days out from being sleeved. I feel the same as you and paid the price tonight trying to have a bit of deli chicken. I have only lost 10 pounds so I am bummed about that. I see food commercials and want to eat even though I am not hungry. thanks to all for your posts. They are valuable to me too!
    Wow!

It appears that the surgeons here in Australia are much more strict over here than over in America/Mexico
    Even though my BMI was borderline (30.something, but I had other co-morbidities) I still had to see a dietician beforehand and two weeks after. And I have chosen to keep on seeing her to get on-going support, advice and guidance.

The danger of eating too soon is developing a leak.
    It takes 10 weeks for your stomach to heal.

I had post-op clear fluids in hospital, then was on post-op fluids for two weeks, pureed for the next two weeks, soft for the next two weeks and then onto normal texture...

I had done a lot of reading beforehand, research and preparation
    These are books that I purchased beforehand:

"Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies" and
    "The Complete Weight-Loss Surgery Guide & Diet Program Includes 150 Delicious and Nutritious Recipes"
    "Portion Perfection for Bariatrics. Seeing is Believing" by Amanda Clark, and
    "Your Complete Guide to Nutrition for Weight Loss Surgery 2nd ed." by Sally Johnston.

I also purchased the bariatric bowl and plate. I like the way it is divided up.

Within a couple of months you WILL be able to eat the foods that you previously enjoyed, just not the same amounts.
    Just remember that this post-operative period is only a bit out of your life, and you only get one opportunity to do it right.

Also recommended watching is "That Sugar Film".