Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

stargazerlily

Just sleeved 3/23

Rate this Entry
Hello....so I was just sleeved 2 days ago and my journey has been enlightening, to say the least.

To give a little history, I have 1 kidney related to renal cell carcinoma found in 2010 during an abdominal ultrasound for the Lap Band. I was blessed in 2013 to have my kidney removed and found it was to be stage 1 without any other involvement. I am a type 2 diabetic and I have been lucky to control it with diet, exercise and metformin. I also take Cozaar for kidney retention.

So fast forward, my experience at Kaiser in WLA wasn't the greatest. My Dr was amazing and so were SOME nurses and CNA's. This being only my 2nd surgery, I wasn't sure what to expect but I had terrible nausea immediately following my surgery. Luckily, I haven't needed to take any Zofran since being home. I was given Tylenol with Codeine to take at home but I don't take it much. While doing my sleeve, my Dr had some scar tissue to remove from my kidney surgery, so he told me that I will be in pain. I have many laparoscope holes and he did a scar revision as well.

Whewwwwww.... I do live alone and today has so far been GREAT. I weighed myself hoping to see a few lbs down but I saw it up. I am not surprised with all of the D5 IV fluids given in the hospital, so no worries I will be losing weight soon. I am able to swallow no problem and really, not too much pain but I do get a headache now & then. I attribute the headache to caffeine withdrawal. So, I have no regrets in this entire process and although I have researched on this site for months now, I realize that everything I have experienced is typical. I notice that I do get full off my water and Isopure pretty fast but I am good about keeping it all in.

Each day it gets easier to get up/down, go to the bathroom and walk. So far today, I have only needed 1 Norco (have it from my kidney surgery and it is easy to dissolve/mix with Isopure) and I am looking forward to this weight loss journey. My main reason for doing this is to get me back (gained a lot of weight during/following an abusive marriage) and to save my 1 kidney.

P.S....yes. the marriage has been dealt with long ago (divorced over 15 yrs) but the reality with having 1 kidney, is that I can be successful and live a healthy life with 1 kidney, at a healthy weight. So, this is my journey so far.

Kindly,

Donna

Submit "Just sleeved 3/23" to Digg Submit "Just sleeved 3/23" to del.icio.us Submit "Just sleeved 3/23" to StumbleUpon Submit "Just sleeved 3/23" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You are amazing! Fighter doesn't even begin to describe the kind of person you are! Keep up the great work and positive out look!
    Thank you for saying that. So sweet. I am a fighter for sure.
    You sound well prepared and losing weight does have an impact on health. You'll do well, congratulations on your surgery.
    Pulling for you to have great success.. Sounds like you have a great positive outlook. Keep on going for it. I think you will do great!
    Love your bright attittude and wish you much success in your weight loss journey!
    Quote Originally Posted by longingfortall
    Pulling for you to have great success.. Sounds like you have a great positive outlook. Keep on going for it. I think you will do great!
    Thank you so much!!!! This whole journey is a process, not a magic trick. Long ago, I knew how I got so out of control but I needed help to gain control back. The surgery, is what will help me gain that control.
    Quote Originally Posted by longingfortall
    Thank you so much!!!! It surely isn't easy but I am glad I took part in this journey. After all, I am worth the effort. =0)
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowjoy
    You sound well prepared and losing weight does have an impact on health. You'll do well, congratulations on your surgery.
    Thank you so much!!! This journey surely isn't easy but I figure I am worth the effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSleever
    Love your bright attittude and wish you much success in your weight loss journey!
    Thank you!!!! I am trying hard & I figured it would take work. The question one has to ask, if they are ready for it? And I know I was.
    much love and great success to you....
    Quote Originally Posted by cathbas
    much love and great success to you....
    Thank you!! I sure hope so but since the beginning of this journey, I never doubted the surgery was right for me. I can see myself hitting all of my goals.
    I look forward to hearing your journey.
    I also had renal cell carcinoma and had my right kidney removed in 2010. I have just found a surgeon and am starting the process to see if i qualify for this surgery. It was good to hear of someone else with a similar history that has had this surgery.
    Good Luck!!
    J
    Fantastic news. All the best and enjoy this journey...
    Quote Originally Posted by jnizzi
    I look forward to hearing your journey.
    I also had renal cell carcinoma and had my right kidney removed in 2010. I have just found a surgeon and am starting the process to see if i qualify for this surgery. It was good to hear of someone else with a similar history that has had this surgery.
    Good Luck!!
    J

Thank you!!! I believe mine was genetic, as my biological father had a nephrectomy in the 60's (no one knows why & he passed away). I am grateful for everyday that I am C free. For me, Kaiser did a lot of screening to make sure that I was indeed C free prior to the VSG. I had a stress test, bone scan, lots of labs & an MRI. This journey hasn't been a walk in the park (more like Central Park at night with no lights...LOL) but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I feel better every day. Best of luck to you!!!! I am sure you can find a surgeon as that wasn't the hard part for me and my Dr said I wasn't his 1st post nephrectomy patient either.
    Quote Originally Posted by martini1113
    Fantastic news. All the best and enjoy this journey...

Thank you kindly!!! I sure am trying. =0)
    Your going to do great! We were both sleeved the same day!
    Congratulations on your decision to have the VSG.
    You have a great attitude and your weight loss journey will be a successful one.

As a person who had type 2 diabetes, I have not needed to take metformin from 2 weeks before my surgery last year; my glucose and A1C numbers are normal. Hopefully you will also have normal glucose numbers as you lose your excess weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by mynewjourney37
    Your going to do great! We were both sleeved the same day!
    Thank you!!! I am not too happy about the hernia but nothing I can do about that. I am feeling so much better and I am loving the Premier Protein shakes best. How are you feeling? My stomach is harder on the right side & I think this is because of the scar tissue that my dr had to remove. My poor tummy has been through a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Poppa
    Congratulations on your decision to have the VSG.
    You have a great attitude and your weight loss journey will be a successful one.

As a person who had type 2 diabetes, I have not needed to take metformin from 2 weeks before my surgery last year; my glucose and A1C numbers are normal. Hopefully you will also have normal glucose numbers as you lose your excess weight.

Thank you!!!! I have researched WLS for years and being a nurse, I knew it was the right decision for me overall. You are so sweet!

So far, I am on day 4 and had to wean myself down from 2,000 mg of metformin daily to 500 mg daily (only in am). I see it gone by Sunday. I am so grateful for this experience overall.
    Nice twin sleeve sister!
    What made your acid reflux stop? I only get bad in the morning as soon as I wake up.