Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

bergamini

Thoughts 27 Months Out

Rate this Entry
I've been meaning to post a blog entry but haven't in a while. So here we go.

I'm 27 months out now. I started at roughly 300# and dropped to as low as 165# before leveling off at 175#. I'm 5'11" so this is a good weight, and even if my face looked a bit gaunt I ultimately would have preferred 165# but it is what it is.

I eat more than I ever imagined I could. I eat really clean probably 4-5 days per week, have some naughty days on the others. I cannot pretend I don't have bad days but I also think I'm pretty good at the recovery days. Like pre-sleeve, I eat a lot at night. It's in me physiologically. I work around that by going high protein / low cal during the day. I usually eat two dinners, each in the 400-500 calorie range, one after work and one near bed time. I eat 1K calories during the day so I end up around 2-2.5K, which is appropriate for my age/gender/height/activity level. My bad days are like 3.5K days and my good days (usually Monday & Tuesdays) are like 1.8K days.

Actually, maybe my calorie level is low for someone of my activity level. I run 25-35 miles per week, do Pilates 3x per week and do boot camp / Crossfit style workouts 2x per week. I also play 2 tennis matches per week, in the 90-120 minute range. I am physically active 10-12 hours per week. If you use a calorie estimator it says that my calories should be in the 3-3.5K range daily. I would definitely gain at that rate. I attribute it to the rapid weight loss post-op, my metabolism is fried.

I wish my capacity was lower. I was so paranoid going in that I'd get sick after a normal meal. Not true. I can easily eat two Lean Cuisine style portions, so about 16 ounces of food, without much difficulty. I'd prefer it be more like 8-12 ounces. I asked for a bigger sleeve (36 bougie compared to 32 bougie) and I got what I wanted. Now I don't want it lol. I deal with it.

Most of you are new and I feel obliged to speak some wisdom that may seem harsh. The posts that say "I just lost X # of pounds and they are gone forever." Not true. I have seen people regain over 100#. If you think it's gone forever, you open yourself up to it actually not being gone forever. It requires vigilance.

That leads to my second point. It is much harder (for me) 2 years out than it was 2 weeks out. When your capacity limits you to 1/2 cup of food, it's pretty damn easy to lose weight. When you can eat pretty much what you want, it becomes a whole lot harder. I'm succeeding -- sometimes I feel barely -- and managing it but don't kid yourself. Unless you have complications, it is most likely going to get harder once you lose the weight and your capacity is larger, you are smaller and require less calories and the thrill of the quick loss is gone. For me, losing weight was a thrill and then it stops and it is kind of boring. I miss it.

I read a study from UCLA that showed WLS patients regain about 30% of their lost weight after 10 years. That's the cold hard truth. And there are plenty who regain much more. I accept that. I will fight it, I am fighting it, but I also have to know that if I do regain the "average" amount then I will have still lost 100# and would do the surgery again in the hear beat. But I'm going to fight it! It's a fun fight.

The tummy tuck is healing well, I'm going to post pics and my thoughts on that (a whole separate journey) later. In some ways my TT restricts my eating more than my sleeve. If I regain, the incision gets tight and uncomfortable and until I get back into the 170-175# range, I am miserable. It's an interesting side effect I did not plan on it. There are hints of fat shame in it because it feels like how I would after a binge meal when I was big, but in another way it is an accountability measure. Nobody wants to be uncomfortable

I always say to people be active. I'm so active it is crazy. Yet I don't belong to a gym. I live in Wisconsin and I run outside even when it is 0 out. You adapt. I'm not trying to brag, but I am trying to say that if you want to be active you can and will be. If you don't, you will find excuses and that's fine as long as you are willing to accept the consequences. When I hear someone say "I need to join a gym" or "I'm going to start working out...", I know that it is unlikely to happen. A good way for success is to start small. So when I see someone start walking or doing stuff, that is a bigger indicator of future success then the talk option.

I started walking post-op because I was afraid of the whole trapped gas thing. I started doing 2-3 miles in like 45 minutes. It was easy and I listened to my iPod and got the dog out. Then it just became longer and pretty soon I would run for a block or two before I almost died due to lack of oxygen. Now I don't even feel tired if I run less than 6-8 miles. It's all perspective though. I would say if people even just walked 3 miles per day that their journey would be more fruitful.

Maybe my biggest annoyance is when someone says "must be nice to have that kind of time" to work out. I make the time. I usually run on lunch and have a protein shake at my desk afterwards. I do Pilates on my way home from work or before work. I rarely watch TV. I have a very busy professional and personal life but I know what's important.

The points I am trying to make are this: enjoy the post-op honeymoon but realize that it may actually be more challenging down the road. Don't be surprised like I was. Fortunately I'm succeeding but it is for sure way harder now. Secondly, nothing is forever including your weight loss. It will be a journey. Third, if you do regain don't be too hard on yourself. If you regain the average amount (30%), the surgery will still be a success. Finally, being active can mean anything from walking every day to my level of activity. Anywhere in that range is great so don't set unattainable goals and fail. Set attainable goals incrementally. I had no idea I would become such a runner, I just started walking and kept incrementally increasing. I never made a huge leap. It was pure diligence.

I don't know if I'm a WLS success or not, but I know success when I see it in others. Meeting (mostly online) other WLS patients has been eye opening. I've seen people who stall out at 250# that I think are a success and I've seen others in the 170# range who are posting "look at what I can eat" photos and I think that's a failure. It's all about perspective. I am pretty confident I'm going to never go back to 300# but my challenge now is maintaining and that's something I can do. I won't lose again and that makes me sad but what I am doing is setting maintenance and physical goals (doing a pull-up, running each marathon faster than the prior, etc.) so that I can enjoy some success along the way.

Didn't want to be a Debbie Downer, but also wanted to add perspective. This has been the most amazing journey of my life. I succeed most days because I know I can fail. And while I hope it eventually gets easier, just know that maintenance is probably going to be a whole lot harder than the losing phase. I wish you all the best.

Submit "Thoughts 27 Months Out" to Digg Submit "Thoughts 27 Months Out" to del.icio.us Submit "Thoughts 27 Months Out" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thoughts 27 Months Out" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thank you for sharing your story. I know it will get harder as time goes by. I am at 9 months post-op. I exercise about 4 times a week and I know I will have to up that to be successful down the road. You look fantastic!
    This is a great post. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I don't think you are being a "Debbie-downer" I think you are just trying to make sure that people have realistic expectations. At least for me, this journey isn't just about losing weight, it was about changing my life into something healthier. That includes exercise and making healthy eating choices. I think all of us do fear weight re-gain but you are right in pointing out that we can't always rely on our sleeve in preventing that...we all need to remember it will be through our own hard work and vigilance to make sure that never happens.

You are doing fabulous and I definitely consider your story a great success. You are an inspiration to us still at the beginning of our journey! Thanks again for sharing.
    Amen! It's like you said what I'm thinking about being diligent and not allowing myself to fall into "old destructive eating patterns." I have nobody to blame, but myself, but I've slacked off exercise and I feel my body weight shifting into a not so attractive manner I am also prone to that dreaded night eating, and have to be always aware of when it gets the best of me; and it has at times. I am a walker, actually do the recommended 3 miles at least 4-5 times per week, that being said; this winter has kicked my senior citizen butt! I do a few different exercises at home, but most nights find myself snuggled under a blanket trying to keep warm. I went to Florida for a vacation, and the weather is so nice and I walked every day.

I will be 4 years out on July 21, and noticed that this is the first time my clothes fit a bit tighter. I've taken the bull by the horns, and now am going back to basics with the eating and beginning exercise. My husband is also getting a total knee replacement on Wednesday, and will be coming home 3 days after the surgery to rehab. I have written and verbally spoke that I will not allow this to interfere with my progress and can assist him with rehab while I "rehab" myself in a sense. My diet doesn't change much, except I allow myself more "tasting" of foods that I refused to eat right after surgery.

I also think the "thrill is gone" as far as losing weight quickly and seeing all the new body changes like in the beginning. I've been looking at my collarbones for almost 4 years now...lol... No biggie anymore... The honeymoon period is the easiest and most motivating time to lose weight. Now it's just everyday life, albeit; a much healthier life

All that being said, the 5 lbs. I gained this winter and lack of exercise that's causing saggy butt, can be easily remedied as opposed to having to lose 145 lbs all over again. For me, it's the "awareness" that I could gain back a significant amount of weight, that pulls me back to the positive lifestyle I'm enjoying now. I also would consider another surgery if heaven forbid, that would ever happen for some unbeknown reason.

So great seeing you, as I miss so many of the "old-timers", and wonder how everyone is doing. Visit again, and please know I wish you continued success. Thanks for sharing because I needed to read the type of information you posted and others will benefit also!!
    Your words are wise. Thank you for sharing. I am inspired. Xx
    Thank you so much for your post. I followed your posts all through my own journey and as you went through your plastics. I appreciate your insights.
    john, thanks again for posting your perspectives. like greenmomma, i've followed and recommended your journey posts to all the sleevers i meet. your story is motivational. that said; sort of a smack in the head regarding going forward. Not that i didn't know or anticipate that this will get harder but jeez, you set the bar high. Your exercise regime is grueling but i suppose necessary to compensate for the calories. i worry daily that my appetite will come back and how will i handle it if it does "... exercise is my friend" my constant mantra "... exercise is great ..." Actually, i find that the extra added benefit of endorphins causing peace and ultimately mindfulness is more motivation to continue running than just losing weight.

i appreciate your comment about clean eating. the food industry is in such cahoots regarding "unclean" eating and hooking us like addicts, the best thing we can do is buck the habit. Easier said than done. its not about the quantity anymore, but quality. Again, easier said (especially after a long run and i'm hungry ...)

thanks again for sharing your insights. they continue to be my (and others) guideposts. good luck on your next marathon!
    repeat
    Thank you for letting us know!
    Thanks everyone. Good to see some of the old crew. You are all too kind. Didn't want to seem negative, just wanted to keep it real. Jerzey, you know I think you are awesome and a few # of fluctuation is very reasonable and normal between the seasons of the year and our lives. You are a legitimate success and inspiration.

Clean eating is tough, Steve. Found some Greek yogurts (finally) that are artificial sweetener free. A tough find! Giving up artificial sweeteners was the toughest thing for me, but it's been done. I miss my skinny flavored lattes. I only order the full sugar ones now which means I can't justify them as often as I used to, or I just unflavored.
    Thank you for your insight. Being 2 weeks post op you have allowed me the best picture of my future and I truly thank you sir.
    Thank you for posting this.
    You are a true inspiration. I loved what you said,
    "must be nice to have that kind of time"
    I get this all the time when someone asks me what I have been doing, and I tell them.
    I feel like saying,
    "Well, if you want to get up super early with me, go for it. You can do it with me too!"
    I can wait to see your pictures.
    I always look forward to reading your posts.
    Thank you for putting realness into the journey. There are a lot of people who don't hold themselves accountable for their eating habits and want to blame the sleeve for failing them when in fact they failed the sleeve. The reason it is called a journey is because there is no finish line and having good and healthy eating habits and exercising regularly is something we must hold ourselves accountable to from here on out. Congratulations on your success and your commitment to the process.
    Thank you so much for this post. Respect!
    Thanks for your honesty - I am excited and nervous about that stage of my journey. Its nice to hear from a veteran. God Bless
    Great post
    Great post! I'm still in the 6 months pre-op phase; on month 5 currently. My weight is so high that even though my 5% weight loss goal/requirement is 17 pounds, I've been working to lose as much before my surgery date as possible. When I started walking back in April or so I could barely walk half of a mile. Now I can walk 2 miles in about 50 minutes so this is a accomplishment for me! And I plan on doing better and walking faster. I barely had energy when I started my pre-op process and when I went to a 6 flags theme park on Sunday, I was able to walk around it for hours after working a 12hr shift!

Your post is a great one, because most people DO only talk crap. And they think that they'll magically lose all of their weight in a few months and keep it off forever while eating slider foods like ice cream. Nope! For everyone on this site, our weight and health is a struggle that we must deal with accordingly forever. It's up to us to make healthy choices, because the sleeve can only do so much.