Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

KansasJina

Back to work

Rate this Entry
I am hoping to get my gastric sleeve surgery scheduled soon. How long do I need to take off of work? I primarily sit and do computer work all day.

Submit "Back to work" to Digg Submit "Back to work" to del.icio.us Submit "Back to work" to StumbleUpon Submit "Back to work" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

My doctor only approved 2 weeks but I used a week of vacation...so 3 in all...I would take at least 3 if you can.
    I think it depends on your recovery. I had mine done outpatient, was discharged 4 hours after surgery, and went home and slept for 3 days. I returned to work 1 week later and had no complications. No uncomfortable gas, no vomiting, no nausea, nothing. I feel amazing. I am now 5.5 weeks post op. My step mom, however, was in the hospital 3-4 days with a pca pain pump and had a rougher recovery. I was 34, her 54. All depends on you. I am a nicu nurse and on my feet a lot. I would recommend 2 weeks.
    I was sitting up in my bed working on my laptop as soon as I woke up and worked all nite and the next morning at the recovery hotel. The day after surgery and a nite at the recovery hotel I went to my own room at the Hotel Ticuan and went walking most of the day shopping. I flew back home on Saturday and I was back at a clients office on Monday afternoon (my surgery was on a Thursday)
    I also work in an office at a desk most of the day. I had Surgery on Thursday and was Back on Tuesday no Problem. I was tired but nothing more then that. As the week went on I got better everyday By Friday it was like I never had surgery. Best of luck to you.
    I have a desk job also and I took off 17 days. It was perfect, I was on pureed food by then and had the vitamins/supplement requirement downpat. To be honest, not just pureed. I was eating grilled chicken (chewed really well), scrambled eggs, and some turkey sausage. If you can do three weeks, even better. I also recommend two days/two nights in the hospital.
    Hi, I had surgery on Sunday, March 1st and just came back to work today. I also have a desk job. The only thing that bothers me is where the larger incision was is still tender so it's a little uncomfortable to sit all day. Other than that I feel great!
    I'd taken 2 weeks but went back after 10 days. Would have been 7 if I didn't have to fight with HR about the 10 pound lifting restriction in my job description. I sit in front of a computer all day so it was stupid. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. You never know how you'll react. Could be a breeze or you might need a bit more time.
    My doctor had me off for six weeks. But I am in the medical profession and due to the surgery was not allowed to carry out any manual handling with patients.
    I was throwing up bed after surgery due to the anaesthetic and it was agony due to the upper left abdominal incision. I was very weak and tired the first week to ten days and just slept and tried to heal. The first four weeks I was really quite weak and needed that time off work just to have my body adapt to about an eighth of its usual food intake and much less fluids than normal. I felt I really needed the time anyway to get to grips with all the new changes in my diet, making purees and letting myself get better in order to be able to return to work 100%.
    Everyone is different, but listen to your body, and good luck petal. Xx
    I took off 5 weeks. I recommend taking as long as you can. I would say I could have gone back after 2 weeks, but I was an emotional wreck until around day 10.