Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

greenmomma

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Rate this Entry
Just a quick update. The ugly is, I went to the neurosurgeon yesterday and I absolutely, 100%, no question about it, no other option, have to have surgery on my neck. I have something called spinal stenosis and it is compressing my spinal cord. It is caused by aging and nothing else. The bad is, well, I guess that's the bad too, When I asked the surgeon if he had any good news for me, he said "you're not paralyzed yet." Oy. But there are two goods to counter balance. One is, the surgery and recovery will be infinitely easier at 175 lbs than at 280. Yeah Me! Secondly, when I left the surgeon's office yesterday I stopped at the grocery store on the way home to pick up some stuff for dinner. I'm a good girl and generally shop the "outsides" of the store, meaning produce, to meat, to dairy and out. Not up and down the aisles where the processed food is. Well, you know what's right behind you when you're picking out your greek yogurt right? yes, the ice cream. When I got divorced, 8 years ago, I remember stopping at the store on the way home from court and buying myself a pint of Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk and going home, sitting on the couch and eating the whole thing. I mean, it's the single serving size right? Anyway, yesterday I saw the ice cream, and it was even on sale, so I thought okay, I need that. I stood in front of that ice cream cooler for about five minutes drooling over all the flavors. Picked up a couple and looked at them, put them back, looked at some more. Suddenly, the new me, pushed the old me out of the way and said "girlfriend, get a hold of yourself, that ice cream isn't going to make you feel any better!" and I walked away without any. The truth is, I eat ice cream if I want it. I don't want it very often, but if I do I have it. But I was able to recognize yesterday, that I didn't want ice cream, I just wanted to somehow feel better, but I saw what was happening and didn't buy it. This is a good example of being mindful in eating right? And guess what? today, I feel better, even without the ice cream.

Peace and love people. Keep rockin' those sleeves.

Momma

Submit "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" to Digg Submit "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" to del.icio.us Submit "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Excellent work!! That is the very definition of mindful eating. Of course you could of had the ice cream but at that point it wasn't enjoying the food it was covering an emotion. Good for you for resisting. And best of luck with the neck thing.
    You did a wonderful thing. You are stronger than the food!
    So sorry to hear about your neck! Have you considered a consult with a chiropractor? You may be able to skip the surgery. I have lumbar stenosis and love my chiro and his deep tissue massage therapist. He has done so much more for me than my neurosurgeon.
    Congratulations, Greenmomma. Very, very proud of you.
    i have stenosis and i thought it was caused by my weight pulling down on my spine from what I was told?? They said that pain shots in the back would work but didn't. And surgery was a last resort? Have things changed since then?
    I asked if this was a result of weight and he said no, just normal aging. If it was less progressed, we could have tried alternate treatments but I am apparently way past that. One wrong move, turn etc . . . I went from zero to last resort in the course of three weeks. I'm currently on steroids and heavy duty pain meds, both if which are helping but you can't live like that.
    Way to go! I had stenosis in my lumbar spine and the surgery helped a lot. I hope it goes well for you.
    Good for you! Sending healing vibes for your surgery!