Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

ChangingShape66

Hemoglobin Blues...

Rate this Entry
So guess who got to spend Friday night in the hospital getting a blood transfusion because her hemoglobin was 6.7 ? Well... that would be me!

On Friday I went in to have routine blood work drawn for my appointment with my bariatric surgeon tomorrow morning. I had my blood drawn at 9:00 am and at 4:00 pm I get a call from my PCP's office telling me that my hemoglobin was at a critcal low lever and that I needed to go to the nearest emergency room. A few moments later my bariatric center calls and gives me the same directive. So, off to the hospital I went, not exactly how I wanted to spend my Friday night. After 2 units of blood my hemoglobin only rose to 7.8 we were hoping for closer to the low end of normal (10). I have always had low iron levels an on surgery day my hemoglobin was only 9. I have struggled with Anemia for years.

Add to the mix that I have a large fibroid, that is making things worse. Attachment 23486So....time to start the hysterectomy journey.

Submit "Hemoglobin Blues..." to Digg Submit "Hemoglobin Blues..." to del.icio.us Submit "Hemoglobin Blues..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Hemoglobin Blues..." to Google

Comments

Best wishes to you. Sounds like you're getting good care.
    Ive been in a similar boat some years ago. I had been fighting to stay awake. I was sleeping up to 18 hours a day, i finally went into the doctor, i was so LOW, i feel asleep in the exam room. Took 2 yrs of medication to get me " normal " again. In the meantime, I had complete hysterectomy, they removed 2 precancerous tumors on my ovaries. I was 32 yrs old. After everything was removed, I hadn't felt that good since I was 18. Wish I had done it years before. But i had never had kids and they felt i would change my mind about want them. I didnt and im happy now.

Hope all works out good for you. Can be a long road
    Good luck to you.
    Wow...Glad you are doing better. I so can relate to the fibroids and the anemia, but oh thank you Lord no more...after having an hysterectomy in April 2014! Yes two major surgeries in a year. One deductible. LOL!
    Glad you're doing better! Good luck on your surgery!